Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    I had it for a little over 24 hours and found it too revealing so I deleted it.

Leave a comment:

• OramSecurityConsultants
    replied
    Since it has been about 4 years since my first post on this, I will update my comments. I have found it to be a great asset. When a past client leaves a job and moves to a new company I can keep in touch. How many times have you called info from an old business card just to find out that he/she doesn't work there any more and the person who answered the phone has no clue where they went. Linkedin can help with that.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I should note that Camerman's pic showed up in the scarily accurate "people you may know" on LinkedIn. Obviously, I know him from the Internet, and that scares the hell out of me that LinkedIn knows I do.

Even worse is that it knows I know people who are NOT from the internet. I had it ask me about someone from my childhood. How it knew this, I'll never know.

Also, I'm necroing this thread because 1) I am a necromancer (?), 2) I have opened the SIW Member's Group to open, which means you can all post there to your heart's content. I will, of course, be removing spam posts and suggest if you see one, please move it to the Promotions where it belongs.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    My LinkedIn, my Facebook, my blog, and my Twitter account are all for the same thing: self promotion. You only see what I want you to see...

And yes, my Facebook has the default friend settings, and I accept nearly every friend request. That way, the person I'm interviewing with in a few years from now may have seen pictures of my two year old and might have chuckled at a joke I've twittered. It just might give me an edge.

Yes, I'm cynical as all get out, but also funny about it so I'm usually forgiven.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Do you use your real name on Facebook, and do you have default friends settings?

Everyone in your region can see your profile if you have default friends settings.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Williams
    replied
    I would post my LinkedIn profile here, but I dont want my username associated with my professional life I've tried to change it, but no luck.

On LinkedIn, I'm wearing a suit. On Facebook, I'm wearing a shirt and tie, holding an AK-47... see the difference?

Leave a comment:

• scuba42
    replied
    I have a Myspace account for sending birthday wishes and such, Facebook account because I got goat roped into it by my SWG guild and a Linkedin account for keeping in touch with LP buddies when were not at work and I belong to some groups. Trick to keeping these clean is making all posts be approved by you before they appear on your page.

I use these and Google everyone, NCIC doesn't show everything.

This is me

Leave a comment:

• inman
    replied
    I belong at:

http://privateofficer.ning.com

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied
    I know this thread is a few days "dorment" but thought this is something that will help people decide if they want to join LinkedIn. With the current "terms of service" news surrounding Facebook, I thought this is also important to LinkedIn.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,496766,00.html

If you post any technical information (even another companies), Linkedin can sell or do whatever they want with it. If it is someone elses proprietary information and the company tries to sue LinkedIn, it's your butt not thiers. Even if they sell the information.

It's a good reminder to ALWAYS read the terms of service periodically. Most sites will not publish when the terms change (for the better or worse).

Leave a comment:

• Jedi
    replied
    I view LinkedIn as a professional networking tool and Facebook as a social networking tool. My use of each one is predicated on this view.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by wvd1979 View Post
    Absolutely correct. That is why I deleted my Facebook account, much to the disappointment of my friends.

The hiring process is competetive enough without giving HR another reason to be prejudiced against you.
    My Facebook account, while giving every appearance of just another personal page, is actually carefully crafted so as to give the best possible appearance to potential employers, the FBI, supervillians, and what have you. It helps that my life has become happily boring since I had a kid.

Leave a comment:

• wvd1979
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Keep in mind, every aspect of your personal life on facebook? This can now be used in hiring, promotion, and termination decisions by the HR department. Oh, and you just friended HR, giving them complete access.
    Absolutely correct. That is why I deleted my Facebook account, much to the disappointment of my friends.

The hiring process is competetive enough without giving HR another reason to be prejudiced against you.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Keep in mind, every aspect of your personal life on facebook? This can now be used in hiring, promotion, and termination decisions by the HR department. Oh, and you just friended HR, giving them complete access.

Leave a comment:

• wvd1979
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica View Post
    It is wierd because the VP of my company has a FB account and requested me...idk if I will accept his friend request.
    I would keep the wall between personal and professional relationships intact. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• HospitalOfc.
    replied
    After seeing this thread it convinced me to finally break down and sign up. Although the Luddite in me hated to do it, I guess sometimes you have to bow down and submit to the technologies of the future.

Linkedin does look like it will most likely be a good resource and networking tool.
    Last edited by HospitalOfc.; 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X