LinkedIn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinkedIn

Its been suggested to me by both company owners and law enforcement officers that LinkedIn is good for marketing and networking. I'm wondering how many of you have linkedin accounts?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Its been suggested to me by both company owners and law enforcement officers that LinkedIn is good for marketing and networking. I'm wondering how many of you have linkedin accounts?
    I looked at it, but for some reason just wasn't really comfortable with it. Seemed a bit too much like "eHarmony for Business", if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I'm listed. It has kept me in touch with a few old friends that I worked with. I've heard only a few "good" things about it but nothing bad. It's "OK".
      www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

I hereby raise this thread from the dead...ARISE..

Linkedin is a great resource for me.
        Navy Chief, Navy Pride

Comment

Works for me. I also belong to a few groups.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

It's Facebook for business!

I belong to some groups, and am in contact with industry people I never would have met otherwise. Made some deals, too.

If anyone would like to link, this is me.
            The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
              in contact with industry people I never would have met otherwise.
              Exactly!

sent you a message
              Navy Chief, Navy Pride

Comment

Wife and I are both LinkeIn. I have made professional contacts, and she has had former business associated contact and made a couple of deals. She has also been made a couple of really good job offers there.

No facebook or myspace for us though.
                Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Comment

I have had a LinkedIn membership for about a year and I keep up to date on it, join a lot of groups, and look for jobs. It's very good.

One of the cool things is that if you ever worked for a particular company and want to find people who also used to work for that company, you can search for them and see if they're on LinkedIn too. It's very nice for keeping old associations going as well as finding new ones.
                  ...Men have less scruple in offending one who is beloved than one who is feared, for love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.

-Machiavelli

www.victoriousopposition.com

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post

I belong to some groups, and am in contact with industry people I never would have met otherwise. Made some deals, too.

I checked out your Linked site and thought it is a great source of networking.
                    Ever Since I attended Business school many years ago Networking has been one of the consistently emphasized means of doing business. I took a refresher mini course last year and it still is at the top of the list. That is unless you are in the Witness Protection Program.
                    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Linkedin is good because it doesnt have all the apps which distract you, but FB is more fun. It is wierd because the VP of my company has a FB account and requested me...idk if I will accept his friend request.
                      Simple equation - abiding by laws = you not arrested

Comment

After seeing this thread it convinced me to finally break down and sign up. Although the Luddite in me hated to do it, I guess sometimes you have to bow down and submit to the technologies of the future.

Linkedin does look like it will most likely be a good resource and networking tool.
                        Last edited by HospitalOfc.; 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM.
                        Drew Neckar
                        Hospital Security Supervisor
                        ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
                        --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
                          It is wierd because the VP of my company has a FB account and requested me...idk if I will accept his friend request.
                          I would keep the wall between personal and professional relationships intact. Just my opinion.

Comment

Keep in mind, every aspect of your personal life on facebook? This can now be used in hiring, promotion, and termination decisions by the HR department. Oh, and you just friended HR, giving them complete access.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                              Keep in mind, every aspect of your personal life on facebook? This can now be used in hiring, promotion, and termination decisions by the HR department. Oh, and you just friended HR, giving them complete access.
                              Absolutely correct. That is why I deleted my Facebook account, much to the disappointment of my friends.

The hiring process is competetive enough without giving HR another reason to be prejudiced against you.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X