Wakenhut nuke S/Os caught sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
    pathetic. I wonder what Mr Burns said about them.
    Wake the hounds?

Comment

The guys working the power plant near here were working 12 hour shifts, 60 hours a week.
      Maybe if they hire more help and quit working so many hours, people wouldn't be falling asleep. I blame this one on management.

Comment

Firefighters can sleep on duty, so why not security officers? I am partially kidding but somewhat serious. There are accounts such as a nuclear facility where you are going to need a lot of help if it hits the fan. Having officers on property and ready to respond in a moments notice is important.

As long as there are sufficient officers awake and doing their jobs, I don't see the issue with extra officers on site sleeping/relaxing while waiting for something to happen.

I worked at a hospital for years. They routinely had staff sleeping on the clock as standard operating procedure. I can remember additional security personnel on site and sleeping during Y2K.

Comment

60 hours is not alot in 5 days. Try rotational shift work where in Australia we do 2 x 12's and then 24 hours later are clocked on for 2 x 12's nights. That last shift is a killer driving home and I work more than 60 hours a week now with a 2 hour commute each way to work.

But before people throw things at me, I am not probably armed and guarding a high risk environment as well that some people wish to disable or blow up so I agree with the fatique factor too. Firefighters work 38 hours over 4 days 1 x 14 hour shift - 2 x 10 hours and 1 x 14 hour in the station per 4 days and then take time off. My cousin is a firey and he enjoyed the o/t he could do on his days off with helping other stations out.

1 contract had us working 16-17 hours straight from 1530 - to about 0830 in an unalarmed electronics wear house and my partner build a bed from discarded boxes and bubble wrap as it was expected for us to take a power nap around 0200 for 50 mins every hour because of long hours. We did 1 night on / 1 night off as a few times I backed up and paid the price for it with fatigue the next night.

8 hour shifts are too easy to complete but it means that each worker must manage their fatigue levels and prepare themselves for work and not come to work to sleep or rest.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I have never liked long shifts or rotating shifts. I think that you can prove that alertness and productivity go down with both. Anything past a 10 hour shift is too much in my opinion. I know there are people that can do 12's without any problem, but I don't think they are the majority.

When I worked contract security, they had a core group of flex officers who would routinely work doubles and even triples and often 7 days a week. A "day off" for them was working just one 8 hour shift. It wasn't uncommon to hear of an officer topping 90-100 hours in one week. These guys always looked like they had slept in their uniforms and looked exhausted. They were merely warm bodies after that amount of work.

Comment

This is an oldish story, but is absolutely true and somewhat representative of critical infrastructure security overall in the US. Since the 2001 terrorist attacks , the president has signed an executive order, committees, commissions, and "blue-ribbon" panels have been set up to look at the problem. White Papers, plans etc. bounce around between these groups but nothing at all gets done.

The U.S. Department of Energy designated North American Electric Reliability Corporation as the electricity sector coordinator for critical infrastructure protection. NERC so far is more focused on transitioning into the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America mandate of a North American controlled entity, than it is any kind of real coordinator of CIP for the electricity sector of the US.

None the less when Nuclear Security Officers fall asleep on video due to poor screening and poor management, the NRC gets its panties all up in a bind and makes sure all of the PR ducks are in a row, and starts demanding nuclear operators to fire their current security contractors.

Critical Infrastructure Protection in America is a joke. As far as electricity goes, it is a matter of getting a rubber-stamp visit from homeland security every once in awhile and making sure your security officers don't fall asleep.

The subject is a source of endless frustration for me, and though my employer has made great strides in improving its own physical security, it still has a long long way to go.
              formerly C&A

Comment

In my next life I think I will come back as fire fighrter. I mean here in the US, they typically work 24 on 48 off six times then take five days off. So it's essentially working 8 days or so PER MONTH. Even the Depts that don't give the five days off, you still only end up working maybe, what? 12-13 days a month? A month!

More time with the family, and if that gets to you, you can always pull in an OT shift...LOL

Great bennies, nobody hating ya. Besides, damn near everyone pulls over for that big red thing with all the flashing lights...almost everyone.
                ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                  In my next life I think I will come back as fire fighrter. I mean here in the US, they typically work 24 on 48 off six times then take five days off. So it's essentially working 8 days or so PER MONTH. Even the Depts that don't give the five days off, you still only end up working maybe, what? 12-13 days a month? A month!

More time with the family, and if that gets to you, you can always pull in an OT shift...LOL

Great bennies, nobody hating ya. Besides, damn near everyone pulls over for that big red thing with all the flashing lights...almost everyone.
                  Eh, depending where your at and the station your assigned to, that first day off of the 48 hours may be spent sleeping! My grandfather was a Detroit firefighter and he used to tell us about days where they got zero amount of sleep. Constantly running calls through the whole shift.

Half the time the pay sucks, worse than most PDs, and by the time you retire your so beat up you can't play with your grand kids.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a volunteer/paid-on-call for 7 years. I thought about doing it fulltime but can't get the pros to outnumber the cons.
                  SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

In regard to the sleeping guards at the nuke plant, I can't really blame them. Think about it, it's a cold night outside, but they have that nice NUCLEAR glow and warmth keeping them cozy. The only bad part is that they keep glowing when they go home. (Just kidding. )

In regard to being a fireman, if I could of handled heights I might of gone into the fire department insted of police work. On the right fire department (not such a busy one) you don't have that much work (although now-a-days, with most fire departments having their people becoming paramedics, it is busier for them now then when I started in the business), the shift work is great, and the public (for the most part) loves you. I was lucky enough to work in a city that had an up scale (monitarily) population that (for the most part) liked their police department. This was a good thing.

But I hoped you noticed the "LOVED) for the fire department, and "LIKED" for the police department. It's just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                      How many times are we going to see the same story and video?
                      I had not seen it or I would not have started this thread. Please point out where it's already posted and maybe the moderators can merge the threads.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

It was on here before this event happened a few months ago, but when you started this thread a month ago it was still a good thread. I wasn't upset at you so much as the news story dated November 2nd like it had JUST happened. This happened during the summer, why write the same article over and over and over again?
                        SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                          It was on here before this event happened a few months ago, but when you started this thread a month ago it was still a good thread. I wasn't upset at you so much as the news story dated November 2nd like it had JUST happened. This happened during the summer, why write the same article over and over and over again?
                          I for one have made it a point of letting people know that one of my major pet peeves on forums are when multiple threads are started on the same subject. Now I've gone and done it.
                          If I had seen the original thread you know that I certainly would have simply added to it including this latest CBS news report. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
                          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I posted this b4 but Aussie Firies work 14 hours o/night then 2 x 10 hours and 1 last 14 hours o/night. They then get 3 days off and come back and do it all again. My cousin is a dumb bum and it took him 5 attempts to go in because he just was as thick as 2 bricks and could not do the book work required but spent a fortune on personal tutoring to bring himself up to their high standards.

With 4 on 4 off (2 x 12 hr days and then 2 x 12 hr nights with 4 days off) I would not be a police officer in Australia. The pay is lousey and when the transit security earn more than most Sgts on 10 year allowances you need to wonder why so many of them begin to leave the ranks very soon. There are major shortfalls in the ranks with alot of o/time for the uniforms to work but most of them burn out due to the added travel and family life pressures. New police earn around $46k US a year ............ but don't forget our cost of livin is alot higher than the US.
                            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Our "captain" made an attempt to ban personal laptops and even reading

material such as books and magazines because they were "unprofessional",

yet this is the same individual that was called in to work on one of the teams

that was drastically undermanned for a 13-hour graveyard shift and started

whining, complaining, and finally went home 4 1/2 hours later.
                              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                              - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
                              — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X