Working nights in a big city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
    Hank, JSAM21 what ever happened to the catch phrase, "At this time of night the only people are out are bad women and robbers." I guess that dates me from the late 60s, early 70s.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    The phrase we use is "After 2am the only people on the streets are cops, criminals and the newspaper delivery folks".
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Driving home 1 morning after my 2nd rotational - 2 x 12 hour days and then 2 x 12 hour nights, I pulled in to get a newspaper and cheap fuel (it skyrockets mid week by $1.00 a gallon sometimes. I was filling up and leading on the car falling asleep until I could smell petrol (gas) spashing on my boots. I knew I could not do this roster again (it was relief work) plus manage my own work as well. I grabbed a coffee and drove home slowly as I had 20 minutes left to get home. I then faxed off a letter to the Ops Manager advising of my decision to cut back my working hours - as my life was worth more to me than an extra shift. Ironically, when I continued and finished at 0545 I was fine driving home as I was tired but not beyond exhaustion.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
        I was born in the 80s so...
        I was born in 1967 so.......LOL!

Be safe,

Hank
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

For someone who is really into it, working special shifts say from 9PM to 5AM were the ones that kept your heart pumping. There was so much going on, bars were closing, robbers were out and about, the ladies were into their gig and the all night eateries were into hash and eggs. One morning this poor slob comes into were we all on break, township, county and state and yelled, "This is a holdup, fill up this bag and none of you MF will get hurt." We all started laughing. He yelled, "What is so F funny?" One of the county guys responded, "This is really your night, all of us are cops DS." Then he goes on, "OK, we'll flip to see who takes him in." The hapless stickup artist turns around and heads for the door and runs into another state trooper who was late for the morning powwow." By this time most of us are hysterical. What this poor guy said next just about had all of us in tears, "OK, I give up, would you guys stop the laughing, it makes me feel bad, just take me to jail, I don't want to miss breakfast."
          Those were the kinds of things that made night work so great.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

For someone who is really into it, working special shifts say from 9PM to 5AM were the ones that kept your heart pumping. There was so much going on, bars were closing, robbers were out and about, the ladies were into their gig and the all night eateries were into hash and eggs. One morning this poor slob comes into were we all on break, township, county and state and yelled, "This is a holdup, fill up this bag and none of you MF will get hurt." We all started laughing. He yelled, "What is so F funny?" One of the county guys responded, "This is really your night, all of us are cops DS." Then he goes on, "OK, we'll flip to see who takes him in." The hapless stickup artist turns around and heads for the door and runs into another state trooper who was late for the morning powwow." By this time most of us are hysterical. What this poor guy said next just about had all of us in tears, "OK, I give up, would you guys stop the laughing, it makes me feel bad, just take me to jail, I don't want to miss breakfast."
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill
            Now that Mr. Warnock...is priceless.
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Best story ever
              "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
              some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
                Best story ever
                Isn't it though...? I agree.

Comment

I miss the busy nights in the 'big' city. Portland metro is as big of a playground I ever had, but I still miss the hell out of it.
                  ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                  Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Enjoy the day,
                    Bill
                    I don't know Bill. In my 26 years at this hotel (this month ) I can remember 3 hold-ups. (Most crooks know that hotels operate mostly by credit card, but obviously 3 don't ). One of the holdups at the reception desk took place while the local Police station was having their annual Christmas party directly across the lobby from the front desk.
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

When I worked LE uniformed I was standing in line, during the xmas season, at a drycleaners when two robbers (with shotgun) entered and
                      announced "this is a stickup". I was holding my uniforms, balled up in my hands and quickly made sure my patches were not showing. No one got hurt - they got their money and left.

I became the lead officer on this robbery and a week later the pair was apprehended. During questioning, I asked the more intelligent of the two - do you remember me? He though a moment and all of a sudden his light bulb turned on and he "ya - you were in the drycleaners". I made an excellent witness.
                      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Working nights in Houston is generally boring, except in two areas. Since 95% of any resturaunt is closed by 10PM, those that are left are usually in the same vicinity as bars and clubs, ensuring a never ending stream of drunks, drugs and fights. The other place is in low income section 8 apartments, ensuring a never ending stream of drunks, drugs, and fights.
                        sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

As a side question: What time do bars close where you are. Its 3a.m. in Quebec. Beer & wine can be sold in convience stores until 11 p.m.
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Where I work I see all walks of life come and go. Domestic and foreigners. In my LEO days I have seen it all. Just not all in one place at one time!
                            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

I think you guys jinxed me. My weekend 2200-0600 Security Officer called me
                              on Thursday requesting a need to be off for the weekend. I told him not
                              a problem, if he would work my weekdays 0600-1400, and I would work the
                              weekend.

The one thing that brought back old days, is the peace and quiet.
                              After about 0100 hours, you could hear a pin drop on the site.
                              And the stars out at night are so nice
                              And all the little critters and animals that come out at night.
                              http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
                                Anyone here like working nights in a big city? I just love it. All the weird things happen at night. Also there is nothing like the lights of a big city at night and listening to late night radio!
                                Coast To Coast AM!!!!!!
                                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X