What to Charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Charge?

I just found this site and think it provides great info about the security industry.

I am a supervisor at a small security company in Minnesota. We were just asked to bid on a apartment complex. My girlfriend runs the place, so the bid process is just a formality.

They want armed security 7 nights a week for 10 hrs a night. Any advice on what to charge? We were thinking $19.00 per hour. Is that to high or to low?

Thanks
    BE SAFE
    GOT A PROBLEM? ODDS AGAINST YOU? CALL THE EQUALIZER! The Equalizer (MSPOfficer) is a former agent of a shadowy, unnamed government agency, who is trying to make up for the unspoken sins of his past. His atonement comes in the form of an advertisement in the New York Yellow Pages that features the above quote. McCall uses his finely honed skills, and occasionally, the agents and...

Originally posted by MSPofficer View Post
    I just found this site and think it provides great info about the security industry.

I am a supervisor at a small security company in Minnesota. We were just asked to bid on a apartment complex. My girlfriend runs the place, so the bid process is just a formality.

They want armed security 7 nights a week for 10 hrs a night. Any advice on what to charge? We were thinking $19.00 per hour. Is that to high or to low?

Thanks
    BE SAFE
    I'm not sure what your overhead is, but for a small outfit $19 should be about right if you're paying $11 an hour or so. Don't tell me where this place is because we'll do it for $16.50 an hour.
    "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I'll do it for minimum wage+beer.

Comment

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
        I'll do it for minimum wage+beer.
        Who needs the minimum wage?
        SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

I think once you factor in the cost of your liability insurance you will then have a point to start from as that will be your largest cost per officer. I was thinking of free lancing on the side and the cost of armed insurance for just me by a California Co. would be $14000 per year. When I figured out how many hours it would take me to break even I gave up that idea.

The company I work for starts officer pay at between $16.00 to $19.00 an hour. Since we are national based in NY. NY. I have no idea what they charge the client but assume the liability would be the same in all areas of the country. Charging the client $19.00 per hour may not cover your expenses. The apt complex would have to be pretty big with deep pockets to pay for armed guards.

Most the armed apts in my area are huge and 99.9% section 8 (Low income govt paid for) and in high crime areas and private guards are SPO qualified and a portion of their pay comes from crime prevention federal and state grants. Hope this helps good luck.
          Last edited by Chucky; 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM.
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

$19 an hour seems very low for armed. When everything is factored in I don't see how you would make any money in less you found people willing to work for peanuts. And you don't want that. Figure out $15 an hour or so for the officers and go from there. That should bump your minimum bill rate up to at least $25 an hour.

Don't forget all the incidentals either like vehicles, radios, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the useful information. I kind of realize that we should be asking at least $25.00 per hour but I know that other security companies will bid as low as $21.00 per hour, even for armed security. Its an insult to the industry to bid that low but what can I do about it.

Thanks
              God Bless and Be Safe
              GOT A PROBLEM? ODDS AGAINST YOU? CALL THE EQUALIZER! The Equalizer (MSPOfficer) is a former agent of a shadowy, unnamed government agency, who is trying to make up for the unspoken sins of his past. His atonement comes in the form of an advertisement in the New York Yellow Pages that features the above quote. McCall uses his finely honed skills, and occasionally, the agents and...

Comment

Originally posted by MSPofficer View Post
                Thanks for the useful information. I kind of realize that we should be asking at least $25.00 per hour but I know that other security companies will bid as low as $21.00 per hour, even for armed security. Its an insult to the industry to bid that low but what can I do about it.

Thanks
                God Bless and Be Safe

One thing you can do about it is not feed into the downward spiral by doing it for $21 an hour. You know as well I do what kind of officer you are likely going to get for that kind of money.

Since you have an "in" it might be a good idea to sit down with the decision maker and work out the rate.

What kind of money are you planning on paying the officer? Will they have any back up? Radios? A patrol vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                  One thing you can do about it is not feed into the downward spiral by doing it for $21 an hour. You know as well I do what kind of officer you are likely going to get for that kind of money.

Since you have an "in" it might be a good idea to sit down with the decision maker and work out the rate.

What kind of money are you planning on paying the officer? Will they have any back up? Radios? A patrol vehicle?
                  I would greatly have to agree here! You should explain to the manager why they should adopt your services even if it hits their pocketbook a little harder. Explain the quality of service and everything that goes a long with it.

We can all sit here and gripe about the downward spiral of guard pay till the cows come home, but unless anyone steps up to make a change, all our gripes will be without any merit.
                  "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                  "The Curve" 1998

Comment

problem with competition from LEOs is that in Houston, cops are paid less than any other bigger sized city in Texas, so by contrast we don't make that much because the security firms must be priced lower to be competitive. At least I THINK I'm right on this.
                    sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

As mentioned some companies come in so low they make 30 cents an hour or actually lose money and then charge for security warning labels, consulting and sell other services to make a profit.

Running my company for 5 years, I charged 35% above the highest competitor because I had ex police and ex military crews who did a good job and were earning 25% more than the award rates. However when it comes to contracts, people go lowest if it saves them $$$ in insurance but little do they know the quality of the officers involved or the consequences.

I would make a deal of say $25 US an hour - include what gear you need - radios, 1st aid kit, site torches and signage. Make sure you stipulate EVERYTHING they will be getting for their $25.00 an hour. If you can add the gear, uniforms, etc and someone is $1.00 an hour cheaper with less services - you SHOULD get the deal.
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                        I would make a deal of say $25 US an hour - include what gear you need - radios, 1st aid kit, site torches and signage. Make sure you stipulate EVERYTHING they will be getting for their $25.00 an hour. If you can add the gear, uniforms, etc and someone is $1.00 an hour cheaper with less services - you SHOULD get the deal.
                        + 1

Lets be honest... I've never had to figure out the finer points to create a site quote/bid before, but speaking from the point-of-view of a consumer, when I'm buying/renting something I absolutely hate hidden/extra charges, thus continuing on from NRM' if you make it absolutely crystal to the client that there are NO HIDDEN/EXTRA fees or charges... that's gotta' weigh in your favour substantially!

Remember... pay peanuts, get monkeys! (or in this case monkeys with guns!)
                        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Start with what you are going to pay the officers, how many you are going to hire, and what the shifts will be. Figure in your insurance. Figure in the cost of a patrol vehicle if required. Are you going to supply the weapons or will they bring their own?

I work armed security in michigan, and some people pay armed security as low as minimum wage. I currently work for a company that pays between $18 and $23 an hour with no benefits.

Since I have benefits thru my wife, this is a perfect job for me.

Pay well and hire good people, not just a body in a uniform. Offer this to the
                          perpective client. This is what my costs are, this is what I pay my officers, these are the standards and requirements I demand of my officers.

Sell it, and make sure the people you put in are Good and dependable.

Even so, I have seen well trained officers make stupid mistakes. one retired LEO put down an improvised stop stick to stop trucks using a side drive to enter the property thru the back that they were not supposed to use. costing your employer the cost of four flat tires is not going to endear him to you.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                            Start with what you are going to pay the officers, how many you are going to hire, and what the shifts will be. Figure in your insurance. Figure in the cost of a patrol vehicle if required. Are you going to supply the weapons or will they bring their own?

I work armed security in michigan, and some people pay armed security as low as minimum wage. I currently work for a company that pays between $18 and $23 an hour with no benefits.

perpective client. This is what my costs are, this is what I pay my officers, these are the standards and requirements I demand of my officers.

Even so, I have seen well trained officers make stupid mistakes. one retired LEO put down an improvised stop stick to stop trucks using a side drive to enter the property thru the back that they were not supposed to use. costing your employer the cost of four flat tires is not going to endear him to you.
                            Wow, great SO pay range.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post

Improvised stop stick? What a moron! The fact of the matter is, most people cannot work un-supervised.
                              ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X