Armed Securitas Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Securitas Officers

I was surprised to find an ad for armed officers by Securitas in the local Minneapolis rag. I guess I have always thought of them as an observe and report outfit that wouldn't waste their time with the hassles of armed work.

The pay was $13.75 which didn't strike me as being too bad for a stating wage. I wonder if they are also providing intermediate force weapons? It always looked stupid to me to see a guard with just a gun on his belt.

I think that they have a jewelry store account that this must be for. I know a guy that worked armed jewelry store security for Guardsmark and it is the most boring work ever. I could never work a static post, much less a standing static post for long.

I've seen a lot of Securitas guys at Oglvie Station in Chicago, where they were wearing BDUs and Chicago Police-like badges. They were assigned to a Metra contract to protect the station against terrorists, and usually had a K9 dog with them.

There is the possibility that they were special police officers (hence the CPD like badges), and they were fully armed with intermediate weapons.

A lot of the security at the Metra station were guys in polo shirts carrying a pistol in a belt holster. No cuffs, no mags, nothing but a gun and a polo shirt that said "security" on it.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

At least here in Tampa, their Officers are armed but I have not seen any of them with intermediate weapons though.

Be safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Occams Razor was a Securitas Armed Officer, you could probably ask him.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

You know, I saw a few here where I live (near Ann Arbor, MI). I've been told by the one at my old bank that he did most of his work all over Metro-Detroit.

Lastly, He, like many of the Securitas guys I've talked to had no complaints either.

Comment

I know nothing.

Securitas had the federal contract in my area for a few years, then were underbid at renewal time.

I have to hand it to them, they issued decent gear and had pretty decent training, considering the alternative.

Too bad the new company is way below bottom-of-the-pile

Comment

At least these people get 9mm.
              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
                I know nothing.

Securitas had the federal contract in my area for a few years, then were underbid at renewal time.

I have to hand it to them, they issued decent gear and had pretty decent training, considering the alternative.

Too bad the new company is way below bottom-of-the-pile
                Im sorry (sorta) but I had to laugh for like 20 minutes when I heard they won the GSA north contract.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                  Im sorry (sorta) but I had to laugh for like 20 minutes when I heard they won the GSA north contract.
                  I did too, after I tried to put my weapon magazines into the off-brand pouches they supplied and both mags ripped through the pouch bottoms

A bunch of my co-workers laughed their butts off when PS took over our contract on June 1st, and they didn't receive their first paychecks until mid-July.

Future heart-attack victims wil laugh uproariously after their lawyers learn about our CPR/AED training classes where the 'instructor' (you know who) gave us the tests and left the room for ten minutes after admonishing us to leave our books open on the tables and that everyone had better get a perfect test score.

I know my supervisor has been laughing since the day they took away her (and everyone else's) supervisory pay but told them they were still supes.

I'm still laughing about the fact that they hired a guy who had an ND on the range, causing concrete to fly up and cut up two guys. He still had a job after that, and last week he was inspected on the contract and found to have an inoperable weapon, with a COMPLETELY clogged barrel and non-issued (and therefore non FPS-approved) ammo.

He still has a job with the company ROFL.

Comment

Hahaha... holy crap, and to think I almost tried to get a job with them. Yikes.
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

"The pay was $13.75 which didn't strike me as being too bad for a stating wage"

You have to be kidding. What kind of training does $13.75 require? Run and hide?
                      Sorry don't mean to be a wise ass but that is part of the problem. People are willing to put their life on the line for chump change especially from a huge corporate like Securitas. If that is all they think your life is worth then that's sad. Armed aren't armed unless there is at least the potential that deadly force may be needed at some time. Maybe if enough people said no then they will have to get real with their pay or have no armed accounts until they do. As I write this I wonder if they may be coming in low to drive out the competition that pays what the position warrants!
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                        "The pay was $13.75 which didn't strike me as being too bad for a stating wage"

You have to be kidding. What kind of training does $13.75 require? Run and hide?
                        Sorry don't mean to be a wise ass but that is part of the problem. People are willing to put their life on the line for chump change especially from a huge corporate like Securitas. If that is all they think your life is worth then that's sad. Armed aren't armed unless there is at least the potential that deadly force may be needed at some time. Maybe if enough people said no then they will have to get real with their pay or have no armed accounts until they do. As I write this I wonder if they may be coming in low to drive out the competition that pays what the position warrants!
                        I'm glad where you live you can say that 13.75 is chump change. But I haven't lived in an area yet that armed officers made that amount. Seriously, hell I don't make that much as an Area Supervisor.

If your local economy doesn't support it than you aint gonna get it.
                        SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

The Minnesota market is weird. The armed outfits generally pay less than the unarmed. Quite a few guys around here carrying guns for less than the $13.75.

There are unarmed posts and companies that pay a lot better than the $13.75, but it didn't strike me as too low ball. It is $28,600 a year and they say it includes benefits. Granted the benefits are probably not that great, but with a modest amount of overtime, it is a guard job starting north of 30K. Not great, but it can be a living wage.

Comment

The police are our main source of competition. What we call a post they call a detail. The police officers get between $27.00 to $37.00 per hour so you can imagine what the towns charge for the officers. Our company comes in at $16.00 to $19.00 per Hr. Keep in mind that the details are short termed as we are not.
                            As has been pointed out before the people that need security are generally clueless about their options and right away call the local cop shop. Now they are between a rock and a hard place. It's called sticker shock. So we like vultures circling the pray sweep in and offer to do a better NON UNION mini managed job for half the price. Although I have made this very simplistic there is a lot of dancing going on to get to this point.

Another reason the pay is good is that gun permits in this state are super hard to get and easy to lose. If you can pass the permit background check and the other gauntlets of approval then a resume is academic. Yes we have taken the largest private account from the local police depts. And yes a lot of them now work PT for us as the summer road construction wines down. And yes some of them really begrudge us for putting food on our table and not into their new summer houses on the beach.
                            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

hey where did you guys see the ad for armed post with securitas lol i work for them now i do have to say it is a good company and compaired to alot of other contract companies they treat there ppl very well

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X