danasoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danasoft

Anyone ever seen www.danasoft.com? It really makes you realize that your information is out there for all to see.

Does anyone surf anonymously?

If I need to, I will activate the EFF TOR network.

http://tor.eff.org/

For most typical browsing, I don't care if my IP address is revealed.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

With danasoft no one sees your IP except you.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

True, but every time your browser asks for a web page, that information is stored in the access.log on the server system.

Unless you're going places that your host government would frown upon (Like pro-democracy sites in the PRC, etc), or places that your IP address would be frowned upon by the site owners (g643643.fbi.gov at a gang forum), the info that your browser gives away is trivial.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Nate - I agree. I have seen where people have used danasoft in their signatures and other fourm members have complained, thinking their IP was visible. The site management asked them to remove their signature.

Like you - I gererally do not care who sees my IP.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

As the voluntarily honorable speaker of the techno-ignorant, What exactly does an IP address tell about a person, err their computer rather. What would a website any website find out about someone??? Here I have registered my information in honesty the required fields when I signed up, so I know that SIW knows who I am based on info I have volunteered.

This is the "laymanest" I can say it, sorry.

I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

I had the danasoft link as a sig on this forum for a few months. Either no one clicked or wasn't very impressed as that has been around for a long time. One of the applications it is used for is when you go to Bit Torrent sites it is usually ringed with pretty girls from your IP area that want to hook up with you. The funny thing is my Provider has me in some sort of a matrix whereas sometimes it says I live in a town 30 miles to the west or 30 miles to the east. Yet the same girls must want me bad cause they keep moving to whatever town they think I'm in
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Crap, I thought I was the only one with the hotties after me as well...
                ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Warning - Long Post - Estimated Reading Time: 8 minutes

Under the SIW Forum Wasted Time Reduction Act of 2007, the following information is made available pursuant to Federal Law.

1) The estimated time for reading this post is approximately 8 minutes. This is calculated by pulling a figure out of my rear end.
                  2) The average forum reader will find this boring.
                  3) Every effort has been made to prolong the agony of reading this.

---

When you visit a website, an entry is created in the httpd (web server) access log for each request your browser makes. Below is an example of someone, a random someone (its probably me...) going to my website.

Code:
                  75.73.8.180 - - [04/Oct/2007:13:33:45 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 26 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7"
                  In this case, on the 4th of October 2007 at 1333EST a web browser from IP address 75.73.8.180 requested the website send it whatever is located at "/".

The web server replied "302," which means, "We don't have anything at /, but I'll give you a URL to go to." It then redirects the browser to go look at index.php, and my front page comes up.

It also stores some user agent data, which your browser sends to servers so that they can understand (and possibly react to) what's asking for information.

In this case, we have... A Windows based PC, using Windows XP (NT 5.1), configured to use American English (en-US), using the Gecko Rendering Engine (Gecko/Version Number), and the Firefox browser (Firefox/2.0.0.7).

Here's another example, IE 7 on Vista (Possibly, I'm not sure what reports as NT 6.0):
                  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; I (Jordan)

So, you can tell the general location, the ISP, and the user agent stuff.

Comment

Additionally the IP address string can reveal the service provider & relative location of server/ISP
                    Attached Files
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
                      As the voluntarily honorable speaker of the techno-ignorant,
                      I'm Vice Chairperson of the organization. BTW as a Canadian you should be spelling it honoUrable
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Your right. Boring.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                          I'm Vice Chairperson of the organization. BTW as a Canadian you should be spelling it honoUrable
                          The Americans seem to have broken into my spell check, as most entries I copy from an email so I can spell check it in the first place.

Sooo, back to the topic... It can find my server (where I have no idea of its location), I know that my IP address changes on a regular basis, so basically the website knows my IP add, at THE TIME but not who JB is Right.

I am doing this for Hotel's knowledge as well...
                          I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

Comment

Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
                            The Americans seem to have broken into my spell check, as most entries I copy from an email so I can spell check it in the first place.

Sooo, back to the topic... It can find my server (where I have no idea of its location), I know that my IP address changes on a regular basis, so basically the website knows my IP add, at THE TIME but not who JB is Right.

I am doing this for Hotel's knowledge as well...
                            I still have a VCR & the time still flashes 12:00
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                              I still have a VCR & the time still flashes 12:00
                              My VCR doesn't have a clock, and I don't bother setting the time on the microwave...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X