Cell Phone Numbers to Telemarketers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Numbers to Telemarketers

I received the following notification this morning from the National Military Intelligence Association (NMIA) and thought it was worth passing along FYI and any action you deem appropriate.

Good Morning All,

Heads-Up! All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies tomorrow and you will start to receive sale calls - you will be charged for these calls. To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number. You may also visit the National Do Not Call Registry Website at https://www.donotcall.gov/.

Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Ain't that just great

But I can't understand how they can call us on OUR dime errr whatever your rate might be. Kinda like calling collect for the same purpose don't you think and I imagine most of us would not accept the charges.

Thanks for the heads up Bill!
    I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

This story is ABSOLUTELY not true! Check it out here at www.donotcall.gov

Comment

When you get something that is folklorish like this, ("Something bad is going to happen, do X to prevent it,") always check a website such as Snopes.com to verify.

There are actually federal laws in place that prevent the solicitation of cell phone records. A PI/Bailbonds forum I was on (before it crashed) had to make a sticky when the law went into effect, because all the threads talking about finding skips via cell were in violation of the law.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Clarification Email

All:

In spite of all the best intentions, it appears that there’s more to the National No Call Registry story. I received the following response and Internet link from a friend and one of the recipients of my forwarded message of this morning. No harm, no foul, but according to a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) release of Feb. 6th (accessible through the link displayed below), apparently there is no urgent need to register your cell phone number, and there is not a separate registry that pertains to cell phones.

I’ve already done it for both my own cell phone and my wife’s cell phone, as I suspect several of you have, but here’s the complete story from the FTC website. Sorry for any inconvenience. I checked to ensure that it was a legitimate number, etc. but apparently the NMIA wasn’t aware of the additional clarifying information either when they put it out.

Mike

Subject: Thought this would interest you

It never is at it seems... I already sent this out to friends and one sent this back..Al

The News Release can be found at <http://www.ftcgov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm>!

This message is from the Federal Trade Commission. The above link will take you to a page within the FTC's site (note the ".gov" Web address), or you may type http://www.ftcgov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm into your browser. The FTC will not collect any personal information from you or the person who sent you this message.

I hope this will straighten things out. It came from a trusted source who feels as bad as I do about it.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Fewf, that would have been REALLY anoying.

Thanks for the clear up though all!

It is true that there are many similar hoaxes out there, some even quoting a LEO's name & rank (even though that agencey may not use that specific rank) some identify it as false info while others panic, and sadly, maybe a few might even take it as an idea for themselves and acctually do it (no proof, just a thought)...
            I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

I have gotten hoax emails passed on to me from everyone from law enforcement supervisors to military personnel to county and regional emergency management professionals.

It has been well established that people take things that come via email as fact without thinking about it. Maybe its the source. Maybe its simple conditioning that written word == it must be true.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X