Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Caesar
    replied
    To further Illustrate the point (although this on involves a regular private citizen, not a S/O). Here in Texas we take the right to defend one's self and one's property VERY seriously, unlike much of the rest of the country.

Property Owner kills 2 burglars in 3 weeks

Police said Mr. Walton is allowed to protect his property. No charges were filed against him Sunday, though the case will be referred to a grand jury, police said.

"He's got a right to defend his property. What gives a stranger the right to go in and vandalize or burglarize his business?" said Dallas police Sgt. Gene Reyes. "He's within every legal right to do this."

Leave a comment:

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    can you imagine if the LA Times picked it up?

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    They tried, very hard, to put a negative slant on this. Even funnier, they couldn't find enough to do so.

Only negative slant they could use was that its "unusual" for security guards to carry "assault rifles," and that "his momma said he was a good boy."
    The Dallas Morning News isn't rabidly anti-police or even anti- security compared to a great many other news outlets I know of. They can't be,, while the City of Dallas is "fairly" liberal, the bulk of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex isn't and DMN tries to walk a line.

I didn't personally see that article as trying to be negative at all, it's on par with what DMN usually puts out.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Interesting. Here in Louisiana the average armed SO doesn't have access to long arms. The State makes security companies jump through all kinds of specila license rules to do so. That means that, except for the occasional armored car guard you won't see many SOs with rifles/shotguns. When Blackwater brought in a bunch of its mercs after Katrina the State granted them an emergency exemption so they could tote their carbines.

Leave a comment:

• LPCap
    replied
    wow, a 20 yr old kid killed two robbers. That is crazy. I also bet it wasn't an assault rifle, but who knows. 11 shots, 2 dead all for a laptop. What company does this guard work for? He seemed on the ball.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    They tried, very hard, to put a negative slant on this. Even funnier, they couldn't find enough to do so.

Only negative slant they could use was that its "unusual" for security guards to carry "assault rifles," and that "his momma said he was a good boy."

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
    "She said he was a good kid," Sgt. Beaudreault said.

Isn't that what they always say? "Yep, he was a good kid. Well, he does have his habit of shoving guns in peoples faces and relieving them of their wallets. But other than that..."

But he sings in the church choir and plays on the school basketball team.

Leave a comment:

• Badge714
    replied
    "She said he was a good kid," Sgt. Beaudreault said.

Isn't that what they always say? "Yep, he was a good kid. Well, he does have his habit of shoving guns in peoples faces and relieving them of their wallets. But other than that..."

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    What is TCOPS?

Darwin is proven right yet again.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
    I'll bet Howard gets a call from TCOPS, asking why he was carrying an unauthorized weapon on duty. I can't even keep my Maverick Pump in my car.
    When did that happen? Except for a 2 month long span 4 years ago I've been out of private security for a long time. we were taught when I got my Commision card (took the class when I worked at Wackenhut, back in '96) that you don't need a license for a long arm (Shotgun, Rifle) so long as it's not a prohibited weapon. Did something change?

EDIT: I just skimmed through the Occupatuons code section regarding Private Security and couldn't find anything, same with the penal code.

is it maybe some TCOPs rule but not a matter of law?
    Last edited by Black Caesar; 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    I'll bet Howard gets a call from TCOPS, asking why he was carrying an unauthorized weapon on duty. I can't even keep my Maverick Pump in my car.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Just for kicks, this is an old one from June, shows that we do actually apply the Assault of a public servant law here.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....36749052.html

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    "Why they're out there robbing a security guard is beyond me. I don't really know what to make of it."
    WOW, so much for a soft target...

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    started a topic Texas Security Officer: 2, robbers: Zip

Texas Security Officer: 2, robbers: Zip

Some people just need killin....(Another example of what I love about my state).

A security guard used an assault rifle to kill two robbery suspects at a Red Bird strip mall late Wednesday, police said.
    Sgt. Beaudreault said the deaths of the two suspected robbers will be referred to a grand jury. But it is unlikely that a grand jury will indict Mr. Howard because state law allows a person to use deadly force to prevent being robbed.

State law also does not require that someone retreat before using deadly force to defend themselves in their homes, cars or places of business.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X