Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Busts Artist

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...p1=MEWell_Pos1

definitely a weird story, I wish I could have seen what it looked like. Pretty bad that the "apartment" lasted so long to.

This is the arrested artist's site.

http://www.trummerkind.com/mall/Living_in_the_Mall.html

Now, I think what would be funny, is if this happened in another state. Lets face it, if this happened in Florida... Security could ask the person to leave (they could not hold him, no crime has been committed yet, he's not trespassing till he refuses to leave, then only a sworn LEO can arrest him), and called the police to take custody of his property (the apartment), or held onto the abandoned property for 60 days until he claimed it.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I cannot begin to tell you how many times my wife and I park in this garage and attend minor league hockey games http://www.providencebruins.com/.

We live only about 30 minutes from this parking garage.

The local Providence talk shows had a good time with this story.
      As where did these artists bathe, and do laundry

To his credit the artists said some nice things about the Providence
      Police. Having worked Secuirty Details in Providence, I agree.

http://www.providencepolice.com/
      Last edited by copelandamuffy; 10-04-2007, 06:06 PM.
      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
        http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...p1=MEWell_Pos1

definitely a weird story, I wish I could have seen what it looked like. Pretty bad that the "apartment" lasted so long to.
        I saw the story on Fox News this morning. It took security 4 years to find his secret pad. The guy had parties there, and got away with it for 4 years? I'm glad they don't work for me!
        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Reminds me of the car audio distributor I met with over their high internal theft of premium equipment. I did a perimeter check and pointed to a crate near a loading dock and was told that is where the drivers have a smoke and coffee when waiting for their trucks to be loaded or unloaded. My partner dropped his lighter in the grass and spotted a massive hole (3 feet across) hidden behind the crate that led into the "secured store-room" inside the complex for high risk items. It had PIR's and everything on the outside but nothing inside as it was considered heavily fortified. Their was a crate of merchandise inside that was pushed to block the hole as was on the outside. Ironic how their security manager could not find the problem but had a new car stereo system in all his cars ?
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
            I saw the story on Fox News this morning. It took security 4 years to find his secret pad.
            Wouldn't building schematics, a watchful eye/ear & some surveillance have found this 'pad' sooner?
            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
              Wouldn't building schematics, a watchful eye/ear & some surveillance have found this 'pad' sooner?
              I have never had access to accurate schematics of a facility I worked at. In most cases, asking would make you "odd" and get you transferred.

its a simple case of, "That looks like it belongs." He was only found because a door was left ajar and someone investigated the ajar door. If he had been diligent in securing "his" front door, there would be a "super sweet" second bedroom eventually.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I"d have found it. I look for stuff like that. But I"ve also been reprimanded for being in places they didn't think I belonged.

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
                  I"d have found it. I look for stuff like that. But I"ve also been reprimanded for being in places they didn't think I belonged.
                  Craig I used to find things other guard did not because they reasoned it might make waves. My looking around while on duty making my rounds helped me later in my career and I built upon those findings. What some of workers didn't like was the habit I had of doubling back to a clock station and then continuing my rounds hitting all the stations, some twice. If you really want to hear folks howl, cut the colored tape or cloth off of fencing outriggers. Since I was only working part time I saw lots of sites. Then I moved to take a different posting and then, fun was had by all. If you work full time as a security officer/guard, what have you, you could wind up persona non grata.
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill

Comment

Did they have vehicles on the lot? I have seen some mall security note "overnight" violators each night. The first two nights were warnings and the third resulted in a tow. Also, the make, model and tag number were recorded for future reference. It's interesting that mall security "just" found out about it.
                    Last edited by LPCap; 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I lived in the area when Providence Place opened.
                      AlliedBarton is the security company there and I believe for all the General Growth Properties malls. I know AlliedBarton works at a mall down here in SC.
                      I remember reading an article when Providence Place opened about a security guard getting arrested for interfering with a police officer when they were trying to break up a gang fight or whatever and the security guard wouldn't follow the cops orders or something.
                      There have been numerous reports of violence and assaults in and around the mall.
                      Also more recently I read that a security guard almost drove a patrol vehicle off the ledge of their parking garage on the night shift.
                      From what I observed on my visits to the mall they had maybe five officers on at a time including vehicle rovers. They had one officer monitoring some cameras and sitting around in their little office. Officers also handled the parking operations like taking payments or whatever I think. I also saw that they had a bike patrol officer.
                      I personally believe that there is no excuse for not catching on to something like this especially with a contract of such high importance. Yes it is a high traffic open access area but this is all the more reason to be on alert for suspicious activity.
                      This example is a lighthearted type of thing but it is a serious security concern.
                      Hopefully terrorists do not start stockpiling weapons and explosives in AlliedBarton protected facilities. We will be doomed.

Comment

Valor Security also does General Growth properties.

I've seen oddness from individual Allied Barton branches. One upscale Chicago client, the guard force was wearing 2 inch belts. Some had handcuffs, some did not. Some had flashlights, some did not. One person had everything but a gun on. Her supervisor had a pair of handcuffs sticking out of his belt, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                          Valor Security also does General Growth properties.

I've seen oddness from individual Allied Barton branches. One upscale Chicago client, the guard force was wearing 2 inch belts. Some had handcuffs, some did not. Some had flashlights, some did not. One person had everything but a gun on. Her supervisor had a pair of handcuffs sticking out of his belt, and that's it.
                          Allied officers are required to be trained and certified in the use of baton, OC spray, and handcuffs before they may be carried at sites 'permitted' to carry these items. The only certifications the company will recognize is MEB (madanock Expandable Baton), OCAT (OC spray), and PATH (Pratical and Tatical handcuffing).

This is interesting, Allied's badge is gold. I was recently in the Atlanta International Airport (traveling with Penn State Athletics), AlliedBarton has a few posts in there now. What surprised me was they wore all midnight navy blue uniforms with SILVER badges. Is there a law in Georgia that specifies what uniforms and badges security can wear?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                            My looking around while on duty making my rounds...

Enjoy the day,
                            Bill
                            Wait a minute, Bill. Let me get this straight. You're saying that you actually "looked around" while patrolling?? As in, opening your eyes, swiveling your head around, and all that sort of thing? Weren't you afraid that you might actually SEE something and have to file a report or DO something?

It's a great idea, although it must have made more work for you.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                              Wait a minute, Bill. Let me get this straight. You're saying that you actually "looked around" while patrolling?? As in, opening your eyes, swiveling your head around, and all that sort of thing? Weren't you afraid that you might actually SEE something and have to file a report or DO something?

It's a great idea, although it must have made more work for you.
                              SecTrainer my lad, you caught the brass ring! I did indeed look around. Before moving to Georgia in the early 1970s, my part time work for a security company, the one who issued the blue book of rules from whom military security instructions were derived, moved me from one assignment to another. I did have reports to write and some of the folks who just wanted to sack out did not like it when I wound up on their location. As mentioned in October's post, I learned a lot, and I did have fun. I really enjoy cat and mouse games. There are some GSA Regional Managers and Building Managers who found out to their discomfort, I did look for things out of the ordinary, as we all should do.
                              By separate correspondence, you will get the latest chapter in the saga, "As the stomach turns," relating to sleeping guards at nuclear sites.
                              I look with disdain upon supervisors who cite you for a "lack of maturity" for doing what they asked you to do when you should have known they really didn't want it done. Equally disgusting are those who preach you have to go along to get along. They too are slimy people, SecTrainer.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X