question about vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about vest

i have a question for anyone that might know. i work for a large security co in mn i work overnights. i have always worn a vest since i started working security a year ago. today my acting superviser told me that i wasnt alowed to wear one. now my vest is a concealed vest i wear under my uniform and none of it shows though. i thought i read or maybe heard that the co cant tell me i cant wear one cuz its not visable just like the co cant tell you what underwears or brand of socks a guard can wear. anyone know anything about this?

Unless you're under a collective bargaining agreement (Union), they can order you to not wear a vest. They can regulate what the "uniform" is, including what color undershirt you wear.

Now, the question is, is wearing a vest a violation of company policy? Were you shown a company policy manual? Basically, they can fire you with cause for disobeying an instruction from a superior.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Armed or Unarmed?
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Hmmmm... either your supervisor is jealous of your protective (under shirt) BLING, or by allowing you to wear such is admitting that it's warranted for your protection... then other's will want to wear one too, or sue if something happened whilst on duty and they weren't issued with one
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
          Unless you're under a collective bargaining agreement (Union), they can order you to not wear a vest. They can regulate what the "uniform" is, including what color undershirt you wear.

Now, the question is, is wearing a vest a violation of company policy? Were you shown a company policy manual? Basically, they can fire you with cause for disobeying an instruction from a superior.
          +1 - My company regulates that you can only wear a navy blue, or a black undershirt. If you're not wearing boots or footwear that that can conceal the color of your socks, than navy blue or black socks are only permitted.

Some companies are just a bit insane, with regulating the NON use of bodyarmor. I can see saying no to exterior carriers, but to say no to concealable vests? That's a bit insane.
          "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Any company that threatens to fire me for for protecting myself is not a company I would want work for. That being said, however, if finding another job is not an option for you at this time, then what you're doing is probably what I would do. Just make sure you remain as discreet as possible.

Comment

well said. What happens when one of their guards turns up in the morgue from a preventable injury? can we say LAWSUIT?
              sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

As tattedupboy said, if your company is trying to make you UN-protect yourself, then it's a company NOBODY should be working for. That's just ridiculous. One thing a lot of these companies seem to forget is that regardless of the site, crime rate, color of uniform, stripes/wording on cars, etc.. When you put on a uniform you're essentially wearing a big red bullseye to any potential bad guys out there. Telling S/Os that they're not allowed to wear a vest is pure stupidity.

In your case, I would do as others have suggested, and check your company policies. If the policy says you can't wear a vest, then you're in violation and can face disciplinary action. If my company tried to enforce a rule like that they would have my resignation on their desk the next day. So in the end it's up to you how you handle this, but I for one would seek a different/better employer.
                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                Shoulda called in sick.
                Be safe!

Comment

what do you do security for? armed or unarmed? what kind of uniform shirt do you wear? I don't see why they would have a problem with a concealed vest. now my company has yet to approve outer vests but is in the process. concealed are encouraged and recommended.

Comment

thanks for the heads up guys i will have too check the companys policys i have only been working for this one for a short time. its unarmed security most of it is building rounds but we do have to do parking ramp patrols also and its in a pretty high crime area if i didnt have to do the ramp i wouldnt be to concerned about not wearing it

Comment

I worked downtown Portland, unarmed(well in that sense no firearm-but had the rest), on foot, by myself, and you can sure as heck bet I had me a vest on. In the heat and even in the rain and snow. The vest not only protects you from it's intended design-fast flying bullets, but it also protects you from other things like blunt instruments. I can tell you it's helps A LOT when fighting with someone, and their buddy comes up from behind and whacks your back with a bat. The design of the vest disperses the energy of the instrument lessening the blow.

I would think that this super is deathly afraid, that your vest wearing may imply a few things;

1) The Client seeing a guard wearing a vest may think it looks to militaristic and not what they wanted or are paying for.

2) That it COULD imply that the site is more dangerous as it is. I the super's eyes.

3) He might think your a little to gung ho, dare I say Super Ninja-ish?

4) "Nothing has ever happened here, and nothing will ever happen here!"

If you are not able to discuss the matter in a mutually respectable manner, don't rock the boat, just simply and quietly seek other employment.

Anyone who faults you for bettering yourself as a person, is only bitter with their current situation.
                      ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                      Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X