Bike Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Patrol

Just wondering who else here rides bike patrol. I have a S&W bike, but had to get my own helmet, b/c the one they got for me was terrible. Nylon gear, bdu's and a white polo type shirt.

Be sure to check out the thread on Bike Patrol uniforms.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=3086
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I do bike patrol at work and I love it. I ride a police package trek but we also have S&W bikes. Beats driving around in a patrol car all day and gets me some good exercise. I average between 5 and 25 miles of riding every day depending on how much time I have and our call volume.

Comment

we do bike patrol at our company but I don't at the properties i work because they are considered too dangerous and are strictly foot patrol because reaction time to situations is too long on a bike. Also i hate them because if you have to get off and go to another location, or chase somebody another person could easily come up and steal it. they are nice for catching up to people far away and getting around fast but safety and tactical advantage are lacking.

Comment

When I was with Wackenhut I was a Bike Patrol Officer. It was nice to be able to jump on the bicycle for a change of pace and to save gas. We had some people who abused the bicycle a little bit, out jumping it and whatnot, the thing was consistently down for maintenance. It was brand new, but not a good brand... which was funny, because we were protecting the REI Distribution Center, which had its own bicycle annex, so we constantly caught crap from the bike warehouse guys about how we need a better bike.

I remember our trainer used to come out to inspect the bike from time to time. He was kinda a tool at times. He would walk along this dirt road behind the property and say he found paint chips from the bike... yeah.. right.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by locknid View Post
            we do bike patrol at our company but I don't at the properties i work because they are considered too dangerous and are strictly foot patrol because reaction time to situations is too long on a bike. Also i hate them because if you have to get off and go to another location, or chase somebody another person could easily come up and steal it. they are nice for catching up to people far away and getting around fast but safety and tactical advantage are lacking.
            Um What!?!! You must not go through a IPMBA Certified bike course then. If you go through the propper course; you will find that pursuit, defensive tactics and your reaction time are improved on a bike vs. foot. While a bike does not provide as much protection as a car, with proper training you will find that the bike will provide more protection than just being on foot. Also, with proper training you will find you can take your bike just about anywhere and never have to leave it. For example, though our training is IPMBA certified, part of our training consists of riding through offices and aroud desks and through cubicles. When a call comes out whether its in the factory or in the offices my bike is with me. But to hear you say tactical advantage and safety are lacking tells me that your traininer is probably not teaching you properly. If your happy with your skills thats one thing, but if your like me and you love riding the bike I would highly recommend you to take an IPMBA approved course even if you have to pay for it yourself. You will find that the confidence it gives you in your abilities to ride as well as to defend yourself will make up for it. Just my two cents.

Comment

How many companies actually train their employees in bike patrol? I have a feeling the majority just buy a bike from Wal-Mart for 50 bucks and put the guard on it. "You're a bike patrol now."
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                How many companies actually train their employees in bike patrol? I have a feeling the majority just buy a bike from Wal-Mart for 50 bucks and put the guard on it. "You're a bike patrol now."
                We did a training course. There were skills you had to prove before you were bicycle qualified. It was like you had to ride 50' in OVER a minute without putting your foot on the ground. You had to ride circles around the instructor and touch him with each hand (showing you can ride one handed), there was a serpentine (sp?) and I think a couple other tests, I forget which.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

At my property, we were trained by the Local PD Community Support Division. They trained our officers in dismounts, going up and down stairs, curbs etc.

We use "Specialized" bikes with Polo shirts and tactical pants or shorts.

Comment

we also had a somewhat generic training course and the bikes are of very good quality. I do apts and I deal with a lot of stairs, small walkways, confined spaces, vehicle contacts, and person contats. The bike is just a hassle for the most part. They are very nice though on the very large properties that are spread out over a large area. I don't care how good you are on a bike I can creep around on foot through buildings and parking areas a lot better then on a bike.

Comment

I also ride a bike, infact when my company first opened we used bikes. we mostly use treks and conondales. We also have a few BMX biks, I ride a black and yellow Next brand BMX bike. Contrary to people's beliefs our BMX bikes perform pretty well. I get a lot of attention wen I ride my black and yellow petrol bike, I was thinking of painting my patrol cars black and yellow, but then they'de all look like NYC Taxis with green and amber light bars on them.

Comment

I did bike patrol last summer. It was not a good bike at all. Rumor has it they got it from the stolen property room of the local police department

I wore khacki shorts and a royal blue polo that said "security" on the back, and the badge embroidered on the left front.
                        If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

We used to have one at HCMC, but they cut our staff so bad that we haven't been able to do it in years...
                          When I was in the police reserves, our city was 36 square miles of farmland, parks, trails, and big $$ homes. Bikes didn't work well. You had to load it into the squad, drive to a neighborhood, get out, ride around a little, load it back up, and go to another neighborhood and repeat. So, we junked to mountain bikes and bought 2 Yamaha Zuma scooters, that we could ride anywhere in the city on a single tank of gas for about a week at a time.
                          Last edited by sgtnewby; 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM.
                          Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by N-TWEEZY View Post
                            I also ride a bike, infact when my company first opened we used bikes. we mostly use treks and conondales. We also have a few BMX biks, I ride a black and yellow Next brand BMX bike. Contrary to people's beliefs our BMX bikes perform pretty well. I get a lot of attention wen I ride my black and yellow petrol bike, I was thinking of painting my patrol cars black and yellow, but then they'de all look like NYC Taxis with green and amber light bars on them.
                            I hope you are kidding on this. BMX bikes are not designed with patrol in mind. If you do then this is just another example of the horrible cost cutting and udercutting in the industry. I dont see how an officer can look professional riding a kids NEXT BMX bike.
                            Robert
                            Here endith the lesson

Comment

BMX bike is used undercover to catch skater and bmx rider

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X