Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on the new Taser C2?

Hey all!

Saw a thread over on O.com that mentioned these, and thought I'd open up a discussion here as well.

For those who haven't seen them yet, here is the new Taser C2:

http://www.taser.com/PRODUCTS/CONSUMERS/Pages/C2.aspx

The short & skinny on it, is it's a civilian-only model, with a low price, designed for the average joe-schmoe to use in self defense. It uses the same "shoot & run away" mode as the older civilian models, giving a 30 second burst allowing you time to drop it & run.

I'm curious if this will be a hot item in the security world or not. The price tag is FAR more appealing than the older models, ($350 w/ laser, $300 without), and it's compact size makes it good for carrying. I would think that a 30 second burst would be considered excessive though, if you're just trying to take someone into custody or get them to comply. (As opposed to shooting & running away)

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

(On a side note, I browsed the site a bit more, and noticed that although the unit itself is far cheaper, the cartridges are not. Rather than an average of $12 per shot, these cartridges run around $25 each. )
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Don't believe this will be widely adapted in our industry. There are several disadvantages to the C2: lack of stun drive, lack of camera ability (for those of us who use TaserCams), and the overall physical characteristic - it doesn't look like a small gun like the others. The bad guys know what a M26 or X26 Taser looks like, and they know what it is when they see it on our duty belts. This alone is usually enough to make them think twice. I don't really see that happening by having an oddly shaped cellphone-like thing on our belts.
    Last edited by Just_Some_Guy; 09-26-2007, 07:11 PM. Reason: typo, clarification

Comment

I disagree with JSG slightly. A lot of the characters I interact with think my Sig Pro is a taser at first glance. I am not sure the majority of individuals know what a taser looks like! Just my thoughts......

Be safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Like anything else, I'm sure it has its uses.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

also remember, the media has a large bias against tasers of any kind. I routinely see police dash cam and other videos showing ONLY the tazed subject writhing around and not his behaviour that led up to it.
          sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

I am leaning towards the opinion tht this will appear to soccer moms who live near a community of any size larger than a small town. The fact that it comes in pink (to match the pink Razr?) further this supports my theory.

In essence, this would something I would buy for my GF. It's design is as easy as holding a flashlight and practically needs no further training than; "Honey just point it at the bad guy like your holding a flashlight or a remote control and push the button. When he is flopping like a fish outta water just drop it and run."

Well the remote control example wouldn't fit here as she practically never has it LMAO
            ~Super Ninja Sniper~
            Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

I don't like the C2 or the X26c because they have the 30 second stun.

Someone's going to get a clue and say that the security guard used the taser for 30 WHOLE SECOND, when the police only use it for 5. Why did the security guard ELETRICALLY TORTURE this fine man for THIRTY SECONDS when the police model only uses 5 seconds?!
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                I disagree with JSG slightly. A lot of the characters I interact with think my Sig Pro is a taser at first glance. I am not sure the majority of individuals know what a taser looks like! Just my thoughts......

Be safe,

Hank
                The knuckleheads that have been energized more than a couple times, know the taser better than anyone. However, the un-tazed knuckleheads could get confused. I'd honestly, would say a taser has more scare than a gun. You don't have to have GOOD reason to energize someone.
                "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

Someone's going to get a clue and say that the security guard used the taser for 30 WHOLE SECOND, when the police only use it for 5. Why did the security guard ELETRICALLY TORTURE this fine man for THIRTY SECONDS when the police model only uses 5 seconds?!
                  I kinda like the M18L myself... will be ordering that here shortly. Damn shame we (security or PI's) can't order the shotgun shell taser.
                  "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                    Like anything else, I'm sure it has its uses.
                    Agreed. The thing I have a problem with is the "drop and run" mindset. If I pay $300 for the thing I'm not about to drop it. I work unarmed so I doubt I'd see us being issued these anytime soon.
                    Off duty ....well.... I don't see the benefit.
                    Personally I already carry Freeze +P for less than lethal and either a Bersa Thunder .380 or Ruger P-89 9mm for CCW. The Freeze costs >10% what the Taser sells for and if I drop it I am not going to feel as bad. As for running, I'm fat and with my knees I'm not going to run far so if anyone fights their way through the pain from the Freeze is going to suffer a case of acute lead poisoning.
                    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

Oh, you can't let things like "what some attorney might say" drive your thinking. Attorneys can and will attempt to use anything that differentiates one weapon of any kind from another weapon of any other kind or the same kind, but they're usually not successful.

For instance, the police model has a longer range than the civilian models, so if you used that they could say "How come you had to taze the guy when he was so far away? Huh? Huh? How could he have been a threat to you from that distance? Huh? Huh?"

So, you use OC...."How come you used x% spray instead of y% spray? Huh? Huh?"

So, you use a baton...."How come you used a 26" baton instead of 21"? Huh? Huh?

So, you use a peashooter..."How come you used dried peas? Didn't you know you could put my client's eye out? Why dintcha use cooked peas? Huh? Huh?

So, paralyzed by legalphobia, you just decide to write people up...."How come you used a #2 pencil instead of a #1 pencil? Huh? Huh?"

Engaging in legalphobia "what ifs" is the ultimate mug's mind game. Come to terms once and for all with the fact that IF a liability case should come to trial - which the vast majority do not - lawyers will try to attack literally anything you did, any gear you used, any policy you followed, and every decision you made, no matter what. They will also, by the way, attack all the things you DIDN'T do...the gear you DIDN'T use, etc.

If necessary, run decisions about gear, policies, procedures or <whatever you're worried about> past your corporate council, carry appropriate liability insurance...and then just get on with doing your job the best you know how.
                      Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM.

Comment

SecTrainer:
                        That was excellent. You know when DC is clutching at straws when they pick apart your written survey or the guide when they ask such questions as: "In your executive summary you used a bibifurcated pronoun whereas you used an antecedent?" Or, "Mr. Warnock you used tautologies in your first paragraph of your recommendations, but nowhere else. Sir, why was that?"
                        The DA tries to appear interested but he is on the verge of laughter. The judge finally stops the line of questioning.
                        You want to strangle your former boss who hired you because you spent more than an hour on the witness stand while he only spend five minutes total! He was asked only two questions, "Did you suggest any wording for the survey?" "No Counsel I did not." And, "Were Mr. Warnock's surveys always this complete when you were his supervisior in the US Marshals Service?" "Yes, they were."
                        SecTrainer, all you lose are five pounds of sweat! The survey format I sent you is much like the one I used for that survey that lead to a trial. Oh, by the way, the guy went to prison for five years for theft of company data and the selling of same.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill
                        Last edited by Bill Warnock; 09-27-2007, 03:24 PM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

Actually, to aleviate this problem, I would buy the X26e, the law enforcement version. They are available to any licensed security firm.

Also, as far as "dropping it == bad," the weapon will be replaced by Taser for free if you submit a police report. And since it just dumped AFIDs everywhere, you would be calling the police anyway.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Eh....personally, I feel you can never go wrong with a car battery and a set of jumper cables.
                            ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                              The thing I have a problem with is the "drop and run" mindset. If I pay $300 for the thing I'm not about to drop it.
                              Boy howdy, I hear ya.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X