Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawson
    replied
    This happens with BHR from time to time. They hire people who are just simply out of shape. They seem to hire someone who is just "big." I am sure on of the reasons they hired me because I'm 6'6. It seems to be if you are at least 6'0 and 200+ lbs, you've got a job waiting at BHR. Im trying to change this obviously.

They may be making me our DT instructor soon. If they do, rest assured my class will not be a simple, "this is how you do this" and "heres how to do that" it will be a bit of a heart pumping exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Minneapolis Security
    replied
    Originally posted by PartTimer View Post
    I like the uniform idea and even the badges worn on the belt. However since this point has not been discussed, when going to a “soft” uniform, having your fellow officers in descent shape I feel is more important to the overall look of the uniform.
    Have you ever seen somebody who is overweight and out of shape wearing a “soft” uniform before? Not a pretty sight. It blows the whole image that you are trying to project.
    Just my $.02.
    It would seem fit for duty isn't a very important item in the minds of alot of HR people who hire security. I see alot of slobs when im out and about.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by PartTimer View Post
    I like the uniform idea and even the badges worn on the belt. However since this point has not been discussed, when going to a “soft” uniform, having your fellow officers in descent shape I feel is more important to the overall look of the uniform.
    Have you ever seen somebody who is overweight and out of shape wearing a “soft” uniform before? Not a pretty sight. It blows the whole image that you are trying to project.
    Just my $.02.
    Good point. If I wore a badge on my belt you'd probably never see it.

Leave a comment:

• PartTimer
    replied
    Just my $.02.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
    Because it is something that interests you, well ok, all of us.

Someone in Admin might have freaked out and thought to themselves; "This month uniforms next month they'll want tasers." (Or someother weapon...) The point we (the non English Majors) were trying to help him with was to kinda perform a thesis/Special ops attack. Get it in, get it done, get out. The less wiggle room you give 'em the less they will wiggle out of it.

Always remember KISS=Keep It Simple, Stupid

Not to mention morale...
    Well, this is not something I am hitting them with out of the blue. I had a good 3 hour chat with both my supervisor (Facilities Manager) and the Director of our Facility. Neither of them have any security experience whatsoever, and have simply been just trying to "wing-it" for the most part. We dont have a solid set of policies/orders, we dont have any security paperwork less of a sheet we check off when we do rounds. We dont carry any equipment, we dont do any security training (such as how to contact people, how to deal with police, etc...) we dont receive anything really.

To add to this, most of our officers are not security minded, do not have any security experience and thusly just simply dont have the right "mentality" for the job. It seems our supervisors have just been hiring whoever applies to fill the shifts.

I got extremely frustrated with the security team to a point where when I had this meeting I arrived in the same suit I had just been interviewing for another job in. We sat down for about 3 hours and they allowed me to vent all my frustrations. I really let them have it as well. I told them about every single little thing I didn't like about our security staff and how we operate. Eventually I could tell they were siding with me and finally began to understand my experience and how I can be an asset to the team. My frustration with our uniforms is nothing new to them, this is basically just me going over stuff I couldnt go over in my initial meeting.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Nor did I
    Because it is something that interests you, well ok, all of us.

Someone in Admin might have freaked out and thought to themselves; "This month uniforms next month they'll want tasers." (Or someother weapon...) The point we (the non English Majors) were trying to help him with was to kinda perform a thesis/Special ops attack. Get it in, get it done, get out. The less wiggle room you give 'em the less they will wiggle out of it.

Always remember KISS=Keep It Simple, Stupid

nothing like a nice sharp uniform to inspire others' confidence/respect in you & your fellow officers
    Not to mention morale...

Leave a comment:

• JSam21
    replied
    They are changing our uniform from the police style to a "softer" uniform. The only thing they are changing are the shirts. From a french blue to a satine baby blue dress shirt with embrodery. I think it looks horrible and would much rather go to a polo style shirt but the big wigs refuse to allow polos.

Leave a comment:

• HospitalOfc.
    replied
    We currently issue almost exactly the same uniform you are proposing the only differences are we wear black BDUs instead of Khaki 511s and we also wear a full duty belt. When we moved to this from a standard police style uniform a year and a half ago we received nothing but compliments on the change. The only problem we have encountered is that the shirts tend to fade fairly quickly.

I like the content of your e-mail, the only suggestion I have is that you mention and stress the importance of being easily identifiable by outside agencies in emergency management situations (fire, earthquake, hostage situation, etc.). I’m not sure who your governing or accrediting organization is, but I know the JCAHO, the accrediting organization for hospitals, is stressing the importance of the National Incident Command System and interaction between public and private agencies in the event of an emergency.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I'm curious what the end product you submitted actually looked like BHR Lawson?
    What you see is what they got.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    ... I didn't get bored reading it.
    Nor did I, but it may have been 'easier on the eye' with a point form approach... I'm curious what the end product you submitted actually looked like BHR Lawson?

BTW good for you wanting to spruce up your departments' appearance and dress code, nothing like a nice sharp uniform to inspire others' confidence/respect in you & your fellow officers

Still think a light to mid blue shirt would be the go!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
    Only a small handful of people in our facility are former military, none of them being administrators. I had actually written the email much different than I posted here. I took the email to one of the mental health professionals who is an english major and had him "grade" my paper. He chopped it up here and there and made it look more receptive to what our admins like to see.
    Good for you Lawson, good for you. That was a stroke of genius to get that gentleman to critique your presentation. Since they know how each other thinks, the wind will blow in a favorable manner. When all said and done and your strategies are adopted, it is hoped they remember who submitted the idea and give credit where the credit is due. A letter of favorable communications is nice to have, a pay raise is the best.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Mike
    With the color of the shirt and the Khaki pants it resembles the uniforms at Blockbuster Video.
    Unfortunately there are only so many color combinations out there. Unless you decide to go with some way far out there choice, you're always going to look like someone else.

Whether it looks like Blockbuster or not, I think the design simply gives a more welcoming, yet professional atmosphere. Here at BHR we have to be a different kind of security than in other places. We are a treatment and care facility, there is none of the boot down the door and give two to the chest kinda stuff here.

People who come into our facility are consistently very paranoid, very scared, very off-baseline, etc... Us stomping around in police style uniforms or solid black "they're coming to take me away ha ha" uniforms just simply does not present a very good image to these people and in some cases... scares the hell out of them.

As I said in my email, a lot of people who come in here have had negative interaction with the criminal justice system. In the academy, our training on how to work with mentally ill persons was less than a day. So needless to say a lot of LEOs may not understand mental illness and in turn not realize a lot of these people cannot help what they do. So you can see where negative interactions can take place. No type of police uniform would be very welcome here.

When they come here, we want them to understand this is a safe place, we don't want them to fear our security team. As S/Os we can potentially end up spending a lot of time with patients and having someone lingering over you in solid black just isnt a very good feeling.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    ... I didn't get bored reading it.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by mh892 View Post
    Great presentation Lawson. Excellent reasoning and facts. But. Waaayyyy to long. The reader may get bored after two paragraphs. It may be better received with the What, Why and Suggestion all in two paragraphs, which is sometimes a difficult task, and a seperate sheet of paper with pictures of the proposed uniform. If the reader has interest in your proposal you may have the opportunity to broaden the presentation verbally. Just a suggestion from experience. Good luck with the uniform issue. This industry could use more conscientious individuals like yourself.
    I personally dont think this is way too long. Maybe for people here who are just going over various posts, but in my company this is a very important issue. I didn't want to just send an email on "this is what I want, here it is, gimme." I wanted to be able to explain it out and give every point of reasoning and cover all their arguments.

I also used this email to cover all my own parts of argument in case I am called into their office to discuss the issue. It is likely that I will forget some of my keynote reasons, but bringing a copy of this email, I can highlight all my main points so I will have a strong interview with the higher ups.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
    Excellent comments from members of our forum. As to its length, try this approach. The first page is an "Executive Summary," with each of your main points boiled down to one or two sentences. The rest of the presentation is simply supporting documentation. The executive summary should be written in such a manner the reader can't wait to see your supporting documentation. As was said in a former day, make it a stem winder, a real page turner.
    Find out if the person to whom you are submitting this paper is former military. If so, use one bullet for introduction of an idea. The indent with two medium sized bullets for secondary information and another indent with three smaller sized bullets for tertiary information. That is it!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Only a small handful of people in our facility are former military, none of them being administrators. I had actually written the email much different than I posted here. I took the email to one of the mental health professionals who is an english major and had him "grade" my paper. He chopped it up here and there and made it look more receptive to what our admins like to see.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X