Uniform Email to the bosses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Email to the bosses.

As some of you know, Im working on advancing our security team here at BHR into a better protective force. I recently wrote an email proposal to the bosses... figured I'd give you guys a bit of a read if you'd like...

=============================

I wanted to respond with this email to both of you as I mentioned I would during our meeting where we went over some security issues. One of the things I touched on very briefly were uniforms and security identification. You informed me that here at BHR we used to have a “Security Uniform” but it is no longer used for various reasons. To promote the advancement of BHR Security I’d like to recommend a uniform for approval. I’ve spoken with some security professionals from around the country about this proposal and have received a lot of truly valuable input. I will explain my qualms and reasoning for the proposal as well as my supporting arguments.

I personally think security should have the ability to be more identifiable. As you know our dress code attire consists of “black or dark blue clothing” nothing more, nothing less. I could partially understand reasoning that we are in black so that we are easily identified as security; however; there are currently a couple problems with this. At BHR anyone is permitted to wear solid black clothing. We get a lot of people in from the outside, which include; janitors, construction employees, county employees, furniture cleaners, food and drink delivery personnel, clothing delivery personnel, equipment delivery personnel, police officers, firefighters, paramedics and EMT personnel, Maxim and Intellistaff employees, client visitors, etc… People who visit will not be able to easily identify us as security personnel simply because we dress in black/blue. Also, there is a possibility they may confuse a clinical, medical, or even another outside person as a security officer simply because they are dressed in black and blue. One could easily say that we need to be identifiable to BHR employees. However; in BHR, we are a rather small facility where everyone generally knows everyone else. Most security personnel could easily come to BHR dressed down completely in civilian attire and BHR employees will still recognize that we are in fact security officers.

We are the only personnel in the facility who have a required uniform; however; there is nothing which restricts anyone else from wearing security uniform appearing clothes. This prevents us from being able to be easily identified by outside non-BHR elements as security officers. Another drawback to our uniforms is that there is nothing on them which helps in our identification as security officers immediately. We do not wear the word “SECURITY” or “OFFICER” or anything of the like on our clothing what-so-ever. We do not wear badges, nor do we wear any badge embroidery. We do not wear duty belts with equipment which is synonymous with security or protective service officers. The only thing that truly IDs us as security officers is our ID badges, which obviously, due to their size are not really a viable recognizable resource.

I realize that here at BHR we try to provide a safe environment for both staff and clients. A military/police style uniform, can be unnerving to some of our staff, visitors or clients. I personally feel that this even applies somewhat to our solid black outfit. I have noticed that as myself and whichever partner I am working with are standing in triage during an intake, the clients (especially those who have been off their medications for a while, or those who are in a heightened state of acuity or paranoia) seem to be intimidated. In the general security and law enforcement worlds, this holds true as well. “Hard” uniforms are generally not appreciated in facilities such as libraries, schools, treatment facilities, etc… To remedy this, they will go with a “soft” uniform. In my own personal experience I have had clients ask if I was the military, a Navy SEAL, the police, a Federal Law Enforcement Agent (FBI, CIA, NSA, etc…), and other variations. I feel this is simply due to the lack of identification we have. It also stimulates paranoid ideation.

As you know, some of our clients who come through have had criminal or bad experiences with the police and criminal justice system. Our duties require a lot presence with clients, whether it is on the units or in triage. Our current attire will sometimes cause a heightened sense of anxiety with these clients during contacts. If we decided to go with wearing a uniform that clearly identifies us as BHR Security personnel we are likely to find a lot of these problems will be alleviated.

A “soft” uniform is something that still allows the wearer to be easily identified, but also keeps a calming state about the person. Our uniforms currently walk a very fine line between soft and hard. They can easily been seen as one or the other dependant upon who is seeing them. Law enforcement and professional security officials will likely consider our uniforms soft, while persons outside the field will likely see them as hard, simply due to their color.

The uniform of BHR Security also does not present much professionalism. While there is that bit of uniformity, and it is good that security officers [S/O’s] are able to choose their own uniforms to assure comfort, they do not present much professionalism amongst the area. Some S/Os wear t-shirts and jeans, other wear black cargo tops and BDU pants, and others wear blue button-ups and cargo pants… etc… There are multiple variations in uniforms which only adds to the chaos and confusion.

Having a more professional work attire will enhance our work relationship with public agencies such as law enforcement officers, firefighters, and medics. From my own experience as a police officer, I can honestly say if I came to BHR and was greeted by BHR security in its current state, I would most certainly not be impressed and would probably even think of security here as being somewhat of a non-professional group.

What I personally think we need is something that identifies us, and something that provides an environment of care without undermining our look and air of professionalism. With that I would like to recommend the following uniform for approval.

This is the Galls cotton knit security shirt. This shirt is customizable and we will not only be able to put “Security Officer” on there, but we can also put our agency (BHR) on there as well with an embroidered badge with will give us instant identification. As you can see the proposed shirt offers immediate identification without blasting the word “SECURITY” all over the place. It gives a sense of professionalism while it also offers softer colors; necessary for a support and care facility such as BHR.

To add to this, I would like to have khaki pants made an option over the darker colors.

These are the 5.11 cargo pants. They are used worldwide and are the premiere choice for police officers, and are the security choice for everyone from mom and pop security outfits, all the way up to Protective Security Detail Officers in Iraq. They are durable, long lasting, and offer enough pockets for all the equipment we currently carry. The only drawback to these pants is the cost. They do cost approximately $40.00 for a pair. However, many retail stores sell cargo pants of the same or similar color. Places such as Target, Walmart, K-Mart, etc… have sold pants of these colors for prices as low as $13.00.

Finally, as a finishing touch, the most identifiable and recognizable symbol of any security officer is their tin badge. After speaking with various security professionals, the one I do believe would work best in a facility such as BHR is this one.

This one quickly identifies you as an S/O. It brightly says “Security Officer” on the badge and the golden color closely matches the gold trim on the shirt. This badge would be very appropriate if worn on the belt of the khaki pants. I have selected this particular badge due to the area which BHR is located. Our 3 closest agencies of jurisdiction are; The Olympia Police, The Lacey Police, and The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.

The Olympia Police Department, Lacey Police Department and Thurston County Sheriffs Office wear badges with a design such as these (respectively).

The badge I am proposing doesn’t resemble any local law enforcement agencies. A big dispute between security and law enforcement fields is security officers attempting to look like police officers. With this badge which I am proposing, that issue will be completely circumvented as none of the local jurisdiction agencies utilize a badge such as the one above.

In closing, I am not currently trying to make a “uniform change.” While in the long run I would like to see an entire uniform overhaul, I can understand that financially it is not likely to be possible at this time. What I would like to propose however; is a simple authorization of the uniform which I have listed. If authorized, I will be purchasing the items myself and using them rather than the “hard” uniform we currently wear. The proposed uniform will present more professionalism, easier identification, and has so many other advantages.

Thank you for taking the time to review this report,
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Your points are both relevant and logical. The only minor suggestions I would make would be:

1. Substitute "Public Safety" or "Safety Officer" for "Security", as Harborview does.

2. Use an embroidered badge patch instead of a metal badge that an agitated client could grab.

3. You might need to address a long-sleeve shirt and/or jacket also?
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
      Your points are both relevant and logical. The only minor suggestions I would make would be:

1. Substitute "Public Safety" or "Safety Officer" for "Security", as Harborview does.

2. Use an embroidered badge patch instead of a metal badge that an agitated client could grab.

3. You might need to address a long-sleeve shirt and/or jacket also?
      I appreciate the tips. Eventually I would like to change our title from "Security Officer" to something along the lines of "Public Safety Officer"

The badge will probably be shot down, and it's understandable. On the picture of my "Proposed" shirt there is a little circle. I was using MS Paint here at work to whip that up as we do not have powerpoint here. The circle basically represents where an embroidered badge would go.

Most of our work is conducted indoors at this facility. I would personally rather see us get these approved than jackets that we would rarely rare. I feel that if I can get the ball rolling on the standard uniform issue, then I can begin to delve into bigger and better things. Management has already been seeking my advice on raingear, I offered up a decent one that has the ANSI qualifications and then I also mentioned the cheap-o's from walmart. As far as the ANSI one goes, I added all my information I knew on why they were the better choice. Im waiting to see how that one pans out before I start going after regular jackets.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I get the impression from the wording on your proposed shirt that you work in a mental health facility, just curious why you didn't opt for a 'soft blue uniform' instead of your black/khaki outfit?

From what I've read soft tone blues are supposed to have a calming effect, additionally in the organisations I've worked for they've eventually moved away from lighter coloured pant due to their difficulty in keeping pristine (without discolourations, stains etc.)
        Last edited by Maelstrom; 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM.
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree with ST, axe the badge. If your clients/patients are especialy versed in the theory and practical experience of fighting LEO's they would see your badge as a weapon, whether on your belt or on your shirt. In the particular environment you work in, I would take every precaution I could to eliminate weapons of convienence.

Besides, a embroidered badge is prety cool as it is.

As far as khaki pants, again if it was me, I would go with the same base color as the shirt. That being said, if you want that color change it from khaki to tan. Most people mentally link khaki with military. Speaking of which, what omitted the part where you mention them being worn by LE and military. Expand the usefulness of the pants, "These specific pants are designed to provide durability and comfort." etc etc. Focus on the use not the users and your lible fearing admin might do the same.

Also, shorten the dan list of examples, ie, when you mention Federal Agencies that pretty much all you gotta say. If they don't understand that the FBI CIA DHS CTU and NSA are ALL feds then they are beyond hope. (and don't want enough TV)

Hope this helps
          ~Super Ninja Sniper~
          Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Great presentation Lawson. Excellent reasoning and facts. But. Waaayyyy to long. The reader may get bored after two paragraphs. It may be better received with the What, Why and Suggestion all in two paragraphs, which is sometimes a difficult task, and a seperate sheet of paper with pictures of the proposed uniform. If the reader has interest in your proposal you may have the opportunity to broaden the presentation verbally. Just a suggestion from experience. Good luck with the uniform issue. This industry could use more conscientious individuals like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
              I agree with ST, axe the badge. If your clients/patients are especialy versed in the theory and practical experience of fighting LEO's they would see your badge as a weapon, whether on your belt or on your shirt. In the particular environment you work in, I would take every precaution I could to eliminate weapons of convienence.
              I did not mention this, but we are also devising a possible "Drop Belt" system. Where we may soon be carrying equipment such as a baton, and OC, but obviously we dont want these on the units. We will drop the belt before we hit the units in one of the secure rooms. This can apply to the badges as well. I will probably stick with the idea of the badge, there are plenty of better "weapons of opporunity" on the units that a badge really wouldn't make the slightest difference.

As far as khaki pants, again if it was me, I would go with the same base color as the shirt. That being said, if you want that color change it from khaki to tan. Most people mentally link khaki with military. Speaking of which, what omitted the part where you mention them being worn by LE and military. Expand the usefulness of the pants, "These specific pants are designed to provide durability and comfort." etc etc. Focus on the use not the users and your lible fearing admin might do the same.
              I spoke with a few people, some mental health professionals and mental health aides and they said they would much rather have us in some lighter clothing rather than solid dark blue or black. I understand their reasoning as well. I personally think the blue/khaki looks really sharp so I am pushing for that.

I do infact like your idea about the uses not the users. I wish I would have thought about that before I sent the email, I will definitely bring that up in follow-up correspondance.

Also, shorten the dan list of examples, ie, when you mention Federal Agencies that pretty much all you gotta say. If they don't understand that the FBI CIA DHS CTU and NSA are ALL feds then they are beyond hope. (and don't want enough TV)

Hope this helps
              I went ahead and listed the 3 agencies I am most commonly called. A lot of people with paranoia have come through here and have not trusted me because of my dress they have specifically said stuff such as "I know you're watching me, you're the CIA. You've been watching me for years." It seems the FBI, CIA, and NSA are the ones I am commonly accused of working for.
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                I went ahead and listed the 3 agencies I am most commonly called. A lot of people with paranoia have come through here and have not trusted me because of my dress they have specifically said stuff such as "I know you're watching me, you're the CIA. You've been watching me for years." It seems the FBI, CIA, and NSA are the ones I am commonly accused of working for.
                See, that right there is why I couldn't work at a place like this. My sense of humor simply would allow for it.

When accused of working for one of the aforementioned angencies I would have simply smiled and nodded. Then taking out my notebook and pen I would've asked; "Very well. Shall we begin?"
                ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Excellent comments from members of our forum. As to its length, try this approach. The first page is an "Executive Summary," with each of your main points boiled down to one or two sentences. The rest of the presentation is simply supporting documentation. The executive summary should be written in such a manner the reader can't wait to see your supporting documentation. As was said in a former day, make it a stem winder, a real page turner.
                  Find out if the person to whom you are submitting this paper is former military. If so, use one bullet for introduction of an idea. The indent with two medium sized bullets for secondary information and another indent with three smaller sized bullets for tertiary information. That is it!
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill

Comment

I have to weigh in on the badge you selected. Their are a number of better options out there for not much more money.

Take for example this one offered by Quartermaster. It is available customized with the name of your organization.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/moreInfoGr...hes%2FInsignia

If you order 13+ the cost is only $19.99 each and they are available in the gold finish as well.

If money is not as big of a concern a Blackington badge always looks nice.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2wdqnd14s1t
                    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

if you guys need any other ideas drawn up, I have an AA in graphic design. I would'nt charge for something like a simple badge design.
                      sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
                        I have to weigh in on the badge you selected. Their are a number of better options out there for not much more money.

Take for example this one offered by Quartermaster. It is available customized with the name of your organization.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/moreInfoGr...hes%2FInsignia

If you order 13+ the cost is only $19.99 each and they are available in the gold finish as well.

If money is not as big of a concern a Blackington badge always looks nice.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2wdqnd14s1t
                        Unfortunately, money is a really big concern. It's going to be a real no-go on the Blackington ones. We have about 10-12 officers, 8 full-timers, 2-4 part-timers. Our company probably isn't going to pay for jack. If we want new items it will likely be coming out of our own pockets.

As far as the recommended badge. I am going with the one I picked as it does not look like the teardrop badge that so many agencies around here use. No other security outfits in our county use the lion badge so I am deciding to go with that one to keep us somewhat unique.
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

The problem with the lion badge is that it is so cheap that it is commonly referred to as a "crackerjack" badge. They are pressed tin with a light coating of metal on top.

Even worse, the pins break, etc. They are not a good investment at all. Also, since there is no seal or anything other than the words "Security Officer," they are not really a symbol of authority. I would ditch it as well, its an unneeded expense, as the soft badge on the uniform polo serves the same purpose.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                            Excellent comments from members of our forum. As to its length, try this approach. The first page is an "Executive Summary," with each of your main points boiled down to one or two sentences. The rest of the presentation is simply supporting documentation. The executive summary should be written in such a manner the reader can't wait to see your supporting documentation. As was said in a former day, make it a stem winder, a real page turner.
                            Find out if the person to whom you are submitting this paper is former military. If so, use one bullet for introduction of an idea. The indent with two medium sized bullets for secondary information and another indent with three smaller sized bullets for tertiary information. That is it!
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill
                            Only a small handful of people in our facility are former military, none of them being administrators. I had actually written the email much different than I posted here. I took the email to one of the mental health professionals who is an english major and had him "grade" my paper. He chopped it up here and there and made it look more receptive to what our admins like to see.
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by mh892 View Post
                              Great presentation Lawson. Excellent reasoning and facts. But. Waaayyyy to long. The reader may get bored after two paragraphs. It may be better received with the What, Why and Suggestion all in two paragraphs, which is sometimes a difficult task, and a seperate sheet of paper with pictures of the proposed uniform. If the reader has interest in your proposal you may have the opportunity to broaden the presentation verbally. Just a suggestion from experience. Good luck with the uniform issue. This industry could use more conscientious individuals like yourself.
                              I personally dont think this is way too long. Maybe for people here who are just going over various posts, but in my company this is a very important issue. I didn't want to just send an email on "this is what I want, here it is, gimme." I wanted to be able to explain it out and give every point of reasoning and cover all their arguments.

I also used this email to cover all my own parts of argument in case I am called into their office to discuss the issue. It is likely that I will forget some of my keynote reasons, but bringing a copy of this email, I can highlight all my main points so I will have a strong interview with the higher ups.
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X