No announcement yet.

Weird Thought/Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sec Traininer, Not sure if this will help but this company may be able to have used domes for your bar.

http://www.jtechlighting.com/html/police.html

Comment

Mmm, hypothetical.

I think it really depends on state law and "reasonableness." Some states have laws that you can't use clear filters or LEDs, there must be filters or lenses with the proper output color. I think this is so the police can see at a glance what color the light bar is.

If the light bar is red and blue lensed, a reasonable person "may" be able to say that its going to display red and blue. I do wonder what the case law in various jurisdictions says about that.

White LEDs are usually mercury doped blue LEDs, because true white LEDs are extremely expensive to produce. By doping the blue LED surface with a layer of mercury, it creates a whitish tint.

You are right, though. Many states say "displaying an amber light," not "a light with an amber lens."
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by hemi444 View Post
        Sec Traininer, Not sure if this will help but this company may be able to have used domes for your bar.

http://www.jtechlighting.com/html/police.html
        Thanks, Hemi...I don't actually have a bar with this problem. It was just a weird thought that came to me for some unknown reason.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

In the hypothetical dream you awoke from, or your hypothetical ramblings, how much did this hypothetical light bar cost? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Definition of hypothetical question:An imaginary situation, incorporating facts previously admitted into evidence, upon which an expert witness is permitted to give an opinion as to a condition resulting from the situation.

Please note the word imaginary. So, if you have hypothetical advice for SecTrainer regarding hypothetical parts for his hypothetical light bar, maybe you could provide hypothetical distributors with hypothetical part numbers and hypothetical prices, along with hypothetical shipping rates and hypothetical availabilty and delivery times. Hypothetically speaking of course.
          sigpic
          Rocket Science
          Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
          One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            Okay, so you know when you first wake up your brain sometimes has these odd thoughts scampering around. They usually vanish before you can remember them, but not this morning.

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION: You purchased a used lightbar with red and blue lenses on eBay, and then discover to your dismay that you can't get amber or green lens replacements.

QUESTION: If you replaced the clear bulbs or LEDs with bright yellow ones, wouldn't the actual light flashing from the bar be either green (yellow with blue lens) or amber, which is an orangish-yellow (yellow with red lens)? (I'm trying to remember the color wheel.)

QUESTION #2: If above is "yes", in states that specify green/amber LIGHT COLOR (rather than the color of LENS) that security vehicles may use, wouldn't such a light bar be technically legal? It looks blue/red when off, but you light it up (which is what the state regulates)...and presto-chango...it's green/amber!

QUESTION #3: Could you not do the same thing in states allowing purple by placing a red bulb behind the blue lens, and a blue bulb behind the red lens?

Hee!

(Please - I'm not asking about "impersonating" or other such issues here. Just a strange hypothetical what-if question....)
            Here's one for you Sec,
            if "strobe" lightbars use clear strobe lights, and different colored lenses without changing the price, and "halogen" lightbars use clear light bulbs with colored lenses without changing the price,

why is it that blue LED's are more expensive then red or amber LEDS. They make clear LEDs, why can't they just make clear LED lightbars with colored lenses and not charge as much?
            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
              Here's one for you Sec,
              if "strobe" lightbars use clear strobe lights, and different colored lenses without changing the price, and "halogen" lightbars use clear light bulbs with colored lenses without changing the price,

why is it that blue LED's are more expensive then red or amber LEDS. They make clear LEDs, why can't they just make clear LED lightbars with colored lenses and not charge as much?
              Someone mentioned above that the light from LED's of any color (unlike other types of bulb like halogens) doesn't change color when it passes through a different-colored lens. So the light from a white LED will still be white after passing through a blue lens, but maybe just dimmer or more diffused. I haven't tested this yet myself, but if true that would probably be the reason, I'd guess. Otherwise, I dunno!
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                It would also depend on what type of bulbs you use. I can't remember the specifics of it, but LEDs don't put out the same type of spectrum or something that regular bulbs do. No matter what color lens is in front of them, LEDs will still tend to show their "true color" when they're on. I discovered this first-hand years ago when I was outfitting a bicycle for the mall I worked at. We tried putting a red flashing LED board into a unit that had originally been amber and still had the amber lens. I assumed it would give an orange color, but it didn't. We even tried the reverse, putting the amber board into the red box/lense, but they still shone through as amber. The only thing that happens is the lenses tend to subdue the light a bit, making it not as bright. TBH I can't remember now why we were trying to do this, but I remembered it when you brought up this topic. I remember that it has something to do with the way LEDs handle the IR spectrum or something, but as I said I can't remember the details of it.

Now regular halogen bulbs, on the other hand, would probably "mix" with the color of the lens. But I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.
                Hmmm. Doesn't seem logical. I did a search, but couldn't find anything to reference this phenomenom, either way. Could it be that the colored lens you had was made just for clear light, so had limited color, allowing the red to show through, etc.I'm going to do some more research on this. Interesting to say the least, regardless of outcome.
                sigpic
                Rocket Science
                Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                  Hmmm. Doesn't seem logical. I did a search, but couldn't find anything to reference this phenomenom, either way. Could it be that the colored lens you had was made just for clear light, so had limited color, allowing the red to show through, etc.I'm going to do some more research on this. Interesting to say the least, regardless of outcome.
                  Oh believe me, it DOESN'T sound logical... I remember being confused as hell at the time... LOL

I can't remember where I ended up finding that info, but I'll do some searching too and see what I can find.

EDIT: Found some stuff:

http://www.theledlight.com/technical1.html (Talks about how LEDs only emit a specific, narrow-band color from the spectrum)

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/l...ledsintro.html (Small tidbit: "The tint of the epoxy lens does not determine the emission color of the LED, but is often used as a convenient indicator of the lamp's color when it is inactive." So even though this specific part is talking about the color of the actual LED bulb, rather than the lens placed over a full LED board, it still says the lens color is unimportant because the LED will only emit that specific color of light that it is designed for, based on the materials used in it's construction.)

Still seems fishy though, because as someone else said, even IF it's only producing red light, for example, if it's behind a blue lens it would seem natural to assume the overall light output would be purple. Argh... I think I've confused myself AGAIN now.. LOL

EDIT 2: And even more...

Ok, this one seems to get specific on the issue we're discussing... Another bit from that second site I linked to.

"The long-anticipated availability of white LEDs has generated great interest in applying these devices to general lighting requirements. As lighting designers become familiar with the characteristics of the new devices, a number of misconceptions will have to be dispelled. One of these is that the light from a white LED can be used to illuminate a lens or filter of any color, and maintain the accuracy and saturation of the color. In a number of the versions of white LED, there is no red component present in the white output, or there are other discontinuities in the spectrum. These LEDs cannot be used as general sources to backlight multicolored display panels or colored lenses, although they function well behind clear or white panels. If a blue-based GaInN white LED is employed behind a red lens, the light transmitted will be pink in color. Similarly, an orange lens or filter will appear yellow when illuminated with the same LED. Although the potential benefits in application of LEDs are tremendous, consideration of their unique characteristics is necessary in incorporating these devices into lighting schemes in place of more familiar conventional sources."

So it looks like it's ALMOST possible, but depends on what TYPE of "white" LED you're using... Go figure.. lol
                  Last edited by Charger; 09-22-2007, 06:21 PM.
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X