No announcement yet.

Movie/TV portrayal of private security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Tennsix]...and a lot of uniform officers used to be investigators. They went back to uniform for any number or reasons (promotion, burn out, reassignment, etc) QUOTE]

The PD Chief in city where I work started a program of rotating ALL LEOs every 2 or 3 years. Said it brings experiance to the other units.

Comment

They do the same at my PD, they rotate Detectives, Narcotics, K-9, Traffic, and I think they have constant Retests for SWAT. It seems to work well to me.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

[QUOTE=ACP01]
        Originally posted by Tennsix
        ...and a lot of uniform officers used to be investigators. They went back to uniform for any number or reasons (promotion, burn out, reassignment, etc) QUOTE]

The PD Chief in city where I work started a program of rotating ALL LEOs every 2 or 3 years. Said it brings experiance to the other units.
        I like that concept. I was on a death investigation today where a uniform officer did most of the forsenic work.
        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
        -Lieutenant Commander Data
        sigpic

Comment

In either field, security or law enforcement, we cross-train or we are just sit there clogging up a manning document. It helps us not to make mistakes and foul up an investigation.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
            In either field, security or law enforcement, we cross-train or we are just sit there clogging up a manning document. It helps us not to make mistakes and foul up an investigation.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill
            I believe that is the case in any line of work.
            As FD Capt. I am also quald as HAZMAT OPS, SwiftWater OPS, High angle OPS,.... trying to remember what all else....Ihave been CO on rescue (regular and heavy), Engine and ladder...anyway you get the picture. The more and varied experience you have the better you can do your duties.
            H3ll, if I had just did what my job rating was in the military I wouldn't be having the fun I am now!
            Oh yeah, forgot toadd that Iam an EMT also.
            Last edited by ACP01; 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM. Reason: Forgot item

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
              I believe that is the case in any line of work.
              As FD Capt. I am also quald as HAZMAT OPS, SwiftWater OPS, High angle OPS,.... trying to remember what all else....Ihave been CO on rescue (regular and heavy), Engine and ladder...anyway you get the picture. The more and varied experience you have the better you can do your duties.
              H3ll, if I had just did what my job rating was in the military I wouldn't be having the fun I am now!
              Oh yeah, forgot toadd that Iam an EMT also.
              Dang, where were you when Three Mile Island damn near went up?
              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
              -Lieutenant Commander Data
              sigpic

Comment

Dang, where were you when Three Mile Island damn near went up?
                HAZMAT Ops level teaches you to know when to get a head start on the mad dash outta the way.

Comment

...and a lot of uniform officers used to be investigators. They went back to uniform for any number or reasons (promotion, burn out, reassignment, etc) SOme of the best investigators I know are not detectives. One high profile example is the Beltway sniper and Chief Charles Moose. IN that case, the media could not understand why the local PD did not yeild to the Feds (another TV/movie misconception). The Feds even said he was the best.
                  He was great. He also wasn't afraid to show that as a LEO, he had human feelings and emotions. The media portrayed it as a negative, but I was impressed with his demeanor.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    One scene shows an employee driving up to the gate at work. The s/o says: "Good Morning." The employee said: "Open the gate you moron!" The s/o opens the gate and tries to say: "You have a good one" as the employee floors it.
                    We had this problem before, until the plant operations manager got involved. Anyone speaking to an s/o in an unprofessional matter had there parking permit taken away and was supsended for one week without pay. I also remered that if someone did not stop and breached the gate, It was automatic termination and if it was a vendor, contractor they would not be allowed back on the property and pay a restitution for breaching a gate.

Comment

Movie/TV portrayal of private security

Hemi...that's MY kind of Ops. Manager!!!! *Applause* Most companies and businesses view security as the "necessary evil"..there for merely insurance purposes, and their employees follow suit with disrespect and disregard. But contrary to their stereotypes, we DO have a job to do.
                      "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

One evening I stood post and we had a vendor come in and gotsmart and wasmaking violent threats to the s/o and myself. He got out of the car and entered the gate hous. once he said I am going to f- you up a pulled his pepper spray out, he was looking at the end of a ruger 45. I believed he got one year in jail and probation. I thought the plant manager was going to to blow up but he was fully supportive.

Comment

Back in the day, I had a USAF Captain run the perimeter gate (manned by an idiot) at the USCG Air Station Clearwater. Blew it right off its hinge in her sports car. When I returned from patrol, he was sitting there, going, "She broke the gate." I interview him, find out who, then call the Officer of the Day and advise him that there's an intruder on post.

So, I met the OOD (On the last 8 of a 24 hour cycle, so he's in t-shirt, OOD ID badge, and shorts), we drive out to the Aviation Survivalman's Locker, retrieve two M9s ("Your on USCG property, you do things USCG way.") and go out to the survival training tank (The base pool), where we find her swimming in a bikini. She tried to pull rank with the Chief, who was like... "Ma'am, no." I was finally to the point, "Right. Get out of the water, or we fish you out. You are being detained, charges will be perferred to your superior." She decided to come out when she realized that "omg, we're serious." The Chief called MacDill, who sent out a wagon with SFs, and the Chief filled out a charge sheet for the SFs. Idiot woman didn't want to go swimming on her own facility. USCGAS Clearwater was restricted to USCG personnel only. She blew the gate on a 100% ID CHECK night.

I never found out what her CO did with the charge sheet, though. But it was amusing having to handcuff a bikini wearing USAF Captain, throw her towel around her, and handle the Chief's prisoner across the entire base.

That was what I found amusing on the base. The moment we left Florida property, our role changed dramatically, if we bothered to find out how and why it did. They put a stop to any "extra duties," though, when a new Security/Safety Officer was assigned. The Airport Police was getting miffed that they weren't being called for infractions on USCG property.

They're replaced by deputy sheriffs now, btw.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

N.A., if she was on active duty, reserve officer commission, she'll be removed from active status and revert to USAF Reserve. She could have a letter put in her file that will doom her. Summary Courtmartial, charged with conduct unbecoming a gentlewoman, dismissed from service.
                            If she was active duty, regular commission, a word or two on her Officer Efficiency Report (OER) by her rater, will for all intense and and purpose, stop her career. If she is smart, she'll just resign.
                            Rank has its privileges to a point. USAF SFF (formerly Security Police) have the authority to apprehend anyone who is subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) under Article 7b, if they determine she has committed an offense.
                            She forgot a very important thing, never, but never mess with a Navy Chief, Marine Gunny or Senior grade USAF sergeant.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

Comment

sorry its a little late only just noticed this thread.there is a newzealand based security company that films its guards patroling the streets it was on here for a while but they took it off.i think it was called city beat.the security company is first security.

Comment

I watched employeed of teh month last night and loved the guard in that SEMI reminds me of some people i meet from other companies. I now work for a company that issues all its officers a digital video camera when we hit the streets at night .Also have car mounted units in some of our special assignment cars. We are in process of getting in akk the cars. This is great as it allows us to video tape evidence for ourselfs and clients.
                                Robert
                                Here endith the lesson

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X