Notebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebooks

Hi all if anyone has read any of my other posts they will know that I have got a job in resort securtiy. This job is different in that I will be working alone most of the time. Compared with my other job where I was working in a team of 30 +.

So I was thinking of using a notebook to record important events, suspicous activity etc. Does everyone else do this?

If so can people give me an idea of how they use it do you record the date and time first then the event?

Also has anyone had to go to court and use the notebook as evidence? I want to make sure that I keep the notebook to legal standard so I can use it in the event that I need to go to court.

I am new to this field and any help will be greatly appraceted.

Thanks

Duncan

Anything that you record in a note book while on duty should only be notes relevant to your job. The note book can be supoeaned by both the defense and the prosecution if the case ends up in court, so it is imperative that the notes be only the facts about the incident, don't use it for anything but notes and record the date and time of each entry.
    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307 View Post
      Anything that you record in a note book while on duty should only be notes relevant to your job. The note book can be supoeaned by both the defense and the prosecution if the case ends up in court, so it is imperative that the notes be only the facts about the incident, don't use it for anything but notes and record the date and time of each entry.
      In addition to what what Jeff mentions I make it a personal policy to only use at least one page per shift. For me it makes easier to find dates and such. I know of some officers that will write down the date and time, and the such. In other words I do not put two shifts on the same page. If I don't have any incidents or what not, the page is left blank, except for my start time and my off duty time.

I also, (personal preferrence) use the following format;

DATE (far right hand side of page) WEATHER
      LOCATION/DISTRICT/RADIO CALL SIGN
      SHIFT TIMES (2300-0700)
      OTHER OFFICER(S) WORKING WITH

2300 ON DUTY (OFFICER BEING RELIEVED-IF APP)
      <If there was a briefing I would take down the notes directly below my start time and label it as BRIEFING:>

<IF NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS>

0700 OFF DUTY (RELIEVED BY)

Then I draw a diangle line from the bottom of the 0 in 0700 to the bottom right hand corner of the page, so as no one can input anything into my notebook.

I do the same line thingy on my DAR's as well as initial above the line at the mid point and below it I put E O R for End Of Report.

But that's just me, might be much or too little to some. It has worked well for me. Some laugh at my notations of the wether, but it actually helps you recall incidents in more clarity. It's another detail that will help you recall that day, and events there in.
      ~Super Ninja Sniper~
      Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

I used to carry a notebook until in the mid-1980's when defense attorneys for a guy I arrested subpoenaed my notebook and made copies of every page. The attorneys hired a private investigator to interview every person from every incident in my notebook. Then, they subpoenaed my employer for every incident report mentioned in my notes.
        It all went nowhere; but, after that incident, I trashed the notebook and started carrying 3x5 index cards in my shirt pocket. I use my notes from these cards for my reports and then shred the cards.
        I've been doing it this way for 20 years and it has worked well for me. When attorneys ask about notes, I just tell them I use index cards that I shred after I write my final report. I've never had anyone challenge a report because I didn't have the original notes.
        Last edited by Badge714; 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM.
        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

well...

in addition to my handy little notebook, I have gotten in the habit of carrying a small voice recorder (tape driven) When I approach a subject, whether to arrest or whatever, I inform them that they are on tape and record the entire convo. Kind of hard to say I was out of line when it is all on tape...

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
            In addition to what what Jeff mentions I make it a personal policy to only use at least one page per shift. For me it makes easier to find dates and such. I know of some officers that will write down the date and time, and the such. In other words I do not put two shifts on the same page. If I don't have any incidents or what not, the page is left blank, except for my start time and my off duty time.

I also, (personal preferrence) use the following format;

DATE (far right hand side of page) WEATHER
            LOCATION/DISTRICT/RADIO CALL SIGN
            SHIFT TIMES (2300-0700)
            OTHER OFFICER(S) WORKING WITH

2300 ON DUTY (OFFICER BEING RELIEVED-IF APP)
            <If there was a briefing I would take down the notes directly below my start time and label it as BRIEFING:>

<IF NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS>

0700 OFF DUTY (RELIEVED BY)

Then I draw a diangle line from the bottom of the 0 in 0700 to the bottom right hand corner of the page, so as no one can input anything into my notebook.

I do the same line thingy on my DAR's as well as initial above the line at the mid point and below it I put E O R for End Of Report.

But that's just me, might be much or too little to some. It has worked well for me. Some laugh at my notations of the wether, but it actually helps you recall incidents in more clarity. It's another detail that will help you recall that day, and events there in.
            To add to Valley, I jot down the start date and end date on the rear cover, inside of the notebook. Furthermore, I number each page and use the same notebook (pad) everyday until the last page is completed. If I make a spelling error, I draw one line through the mispelled word and initial it. But that's me. And by the way, never, ever tear pages out! Just a few tips I use.....

Be safe,

Hank
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Tip: When your duty notebook is the only paper you carry, it's real tempting to use it to jot down irrelevant things. A colleague gives you their home phone number or you want to give them your address...something like that, and you have nothing else to write on.

So, I always carried a second notebook strictly for non-duty related purposes, and kept them strictly segregated as to how I used them.

As for recording audio conversations as someone suggested, notifying them that you're recording is either not necessary at all (one-party consent states) OR is not enough (two-party consent states). In a one-party state where you're one of the "parties" to a conversation, you don't have to say anything about recording the conversation.

However, in a two-party state, you need their SPECIFIC CONSENT, not just announcing to the other party that you ARE recording. Courts are very touchy on this particular subject and most will not accept the theory that there is "implied consent" merely because one party gives notification of recording and the other party does not raise an objection.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I wrote a notebook thread a long time ago.

Ok, first, are we talking about a notebook that you carry on you and use to write down notes so that you can do an official report later, or put details in a chronological log book?

Or, are we talking about a chronological log book where you write all the activities that occurred down on your shift, and is a record that the company and client uses to know what happened?

(That would be the "Daily Activity Record" as some call it.)

While most DAR's are a single sheet, a chronological log book is maintained with no gaps, for as long as the shifts are running. Its the stereotypical log book we all have heard about.

0001 Maj. M. Kusanagi #2501 off duty.
                0002 Ofc. D. Aramaki #0001 has physically relieved Maj. Kusanagi, and has assumed the security watch.
                0005 Began exterior and interior patrols. All quiet.
                0100 Began exterior and interior patrols. Still quiet.

Whereas, a notebook... Well, that's just something to jog your memory. So long as you follow Sectrainer's advice on not putting anything that isn't work related into it (Do you really want your GF's phone number entered into public record?) and you put what you need to remember stuff in it, you can do it any way you want.

For me, I always did it this way.

Inside flap of notebook:

I, Ofc. N. A. Corbier, have opened this notebook on 1 Jan 2007 at 2200 hours. There are 147 pages accounted for, numbered consecutively.

/s/ Ofc. N. A. Corbier #2501

For each entry:

<Horizontal line>
                2 Jan 2007 | 1 Bob Dole Lane
                0014 Hrs | Signal 27
                Com: J. Doe WM 5'11" 180# BLN BLU NDS NFD
                Vic: A. Chimgez WF 5'4" 110# RED GRN NDS 04/01/1982
                Blown pupils noticed, bruise to left forearm, cut to left hand.
                PD: TPD Ofc. Smith #554 0016 0026 0110

Some narrative if I need it
                <Horizontal line to clear entry out>
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

recording

As for recording audio conversations as someone suggested, notifying them that you're recording is either not necessary at all (one-party consent states) OR is not enough (two-party consent states). In a one-party state where you're one of the "parties" to a conversation, you don't have to say anything about recording the conversation.

However, in a two-party state, you need their SPECIFIC CONSENT, not just announcing to the other party that you ARE recording. Courts are very touchy on this particular subject and most will not accept the theory that there is "implied consent" merely because one party gives notification of recording and the other party does not raise an objection.
                  To an extent, I warn them of recording for legal cover. The main thing I have learned is that, when told they are being recorded, most subjects will calm down considerably. I have had irate drunks become a little more reasonable when they are being taped. They do not know if it is admissible in court or not, just that it is in my pocket.

Comment

It isn't a matter of admissible in court. Its a matter of committing criminal violations of the law related to recording others.

For example, Florida has an expectation of privacy when two people converse. Recording someone without their explicit consent is a felony.

Finding out what happens to you in Texas if you record without explicit consent is a very good idea.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                      I wrote a notebook thread a long time ago.

Ok, first, are we talking about a notebook that you carry on you and use to write down notes so that you can do an official report later, or put details in a chronological log book?

Or, are we talking about a chronological log book where you write all the activities that occurred down on your shift, and is a record that the company and client uses to know what happened?

(That would be the "Daily Activity Record" as some call it.)

While most DAR's are a single sheet, a chronological log book is maintained with no gaps, for as long as the shifts are running. Its the stereotypical log book we all have heard about.

0001 Maj. M. Kusanagi #2501 off duty.
                      0002 Ofc. D. Aramaki #0001 has physically relieved Maj. Kusanagi, and has assumed the security watch.
                      0005 Began exterior and interior patrols. All quiet.
                      0100 Began exterior and interior patrols. Still quiet.

Whereas, a notebook... Well, that's just something to jog your memory. So long as you follow Sectrainer's advice on not putting anything that isn't work related into it (Do you really want your GF's phone number entered into public record?) and you put what you need to remember stuff in it, you can do it any way you want.

For me, I always did it this way.

Inside flap of notebook:

I, Ofc. N. A. Corbier, have opened this notebook on 1 Jan 2007 at 2200 hours. There are 147 pages accounted for, numbered consecutively.

/s/ Ofc. N. A. Corbier #2501

For each entry:

<Horizontal line>
                      2 Jan 2007 | 1 Bob Dole Lane
                      0014 Hrs | Signal 27
                      Com: J. Doe WM 5'11" 180# BLN BLU NDS NFD
                      Vic: A. Chimgez WF 5'4" 110# RED GRN NDS 04/01/1982
                      Blown pupils noticed, bruise to left forearm, cut to left hand.
                      PD: TPD Ofc. Smith #554 0016 0026 0110

Some narrative if I need it
                      <Horizontal line to clear entry out>
                      I may have read the original post incorrectly then. As I read it, I thought he was reffering to a notepad and not a DAR. I answered his question assuming that he was talking about his note pad.

Be safe,

Hank
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I'm not sure what he actually asked for, but hell, I figured I'd give both.

Comment

Note Books

I keep 3 log books
                          (1) field interview pad
                          (1) log book
                          (1) idea book
                          CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                            I may have read the original post incorrectly then. As I read it, I thought he was reffering to a notepad and not a DAR. I answered his question assuming that he was talking about his note pad.

Be safe,

Hank
                            That's the way I took it too... just 'instant duty notes' than can be transferred to a shift report later, but also kept as a personal legal record of events/incidents
                            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                              That's the way I took it too... just 'instant duty notes' than can be transferred to a shift report later, but also kept as a personal legal record of events/incidents
                              Ok then, I wasn't the only one! LOL!

Be safe,

Hank

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X