Any inexpencive CAD ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any inexpencive CAD ideas?

We are looking for a way to have calls from dispatch and messaging between the cars and dispatch. We thought something like yahoo IM but I don't think it look's professional. Anyone have any ideas of what you use or have seen used.

What about the Nextel combination radio and cellphone (although not exactly inexpensive)?
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

we already have radios I am talking about a computer based dispatch/messenger program.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckyZ73 View Post
        We are looking for a way to have calls from dispatch and messaging between the cars and dispatch. We thought something like yahoo IM but I don't think it look's professional. Anyone have any ideas of what you use or have seen used.
        I personally don't see anything wrong with using AIM or Yahoo to trade messages. Unless you're trading "inappropriate" messages back and forth, I think it's a good idea.
        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

we already have radios I am talking about a computer based dispatch/messenger program.
          I'm confused about what you're looking for - text messaging over MDTs, or using something like Blackberries or cell phones with wireless Internet access?

Integrated CAD/messaging systems are usually implemented by public agencies that have their own WANs or mesh networks with MDTs in their vehicles, as far as I know, and they're quite expensive.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            I'm confused about what you're looking for - text messaging over MDTs, or using something like Blackberries or cell phones with wireless Internet access?

Integrated CAD/messaging systems are usually implemented by public agencies that have their own WANs or mesh networks with MDTs in their vehicles, as far as I know, and they're quite expensive.
            Messeging over laptop computers mounted in the car and a base computer in the office for the dispatcher.

Comment

Use something like AIM Pro or a Jabber Client/Server. Honestly, I've seen companies use MSN Messenger. For web based, I've suggested and use Meebo.com, which allows both instant messaging and one-to-many chat rooms.

The only time you really need your own IM client is when other things need integrated into it.

I've seen MDT systems that basically look like a chat room or even IRC.

A messenger service is just a messenger.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Messeging over laptop computers mounted in the car and a base computer in the office for the dispatcher.
                Okay, I think I get your setup if I understand correctly that you're not really looking for an integrated CAD/IM system (and there's no particular reason that they have to be integrated...they can run as separate services).

For something integrated, you'd want to look at a company like WiPath, but you'll spend $$.

Among the public providers, I like GoogleTalk the best. However, one problem with "public" IM providers like MSN, ICQ, Yahoo etc. is that they have all been compromised by hackers in one way or another, so now IM is probably no more secure than email. This suggests that a security company might want to run its own IM server, such as Jabber or Soapbox, which can be locked down pretty tight if you know how.

However, there is one public provider with an encrypted IM platform, called "X-IM", and I've heard good things about them although I haven't used them. They use 256-bit encryption and there is a free version (with ads) and a "pro" version without ads. I think the pro version subscription price is about $3-4 per month per user, which isn't bad for high-grade security (assuming it's true).

Also, even more intriguing is that X-IM says they're going to implement secure audio and video streaming between users soon. I'd look for that to be limited to the "pro" version.

Here's the link to X-IM.

Now, let's hope you get some good replies on the CAD side.
                Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Throw me a bone 101 (TMB101)

Ok, so it's is probably an established fact that most IM's (Yahoo, MSN, and the like) are hackable. How can someone hack into the conversation between two people over a wifi link? Say Clearwire for example? How do they even detect that conversation, and then go about it?
                  ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                  Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                    Ok, so it's is probably an established fact that most IM's (Yahoo, MSN, and the like) are hackable. How can someone hack into the conversation between two people over a wifi link? Say Clearwire for example? How do they even detect that conversation, and then go about it?
                    Well, the "how" is certainly not something to be published here, but you can read this statement from Clearwire themselves:

"Clearwire uses reasonable precautions to protect the privacy of your personal information, such as credit card and other ordering information, but Clearwire does not guaranty the security of your information."

I can tell you that what and how anything can be hacked depends to a large extent on what aspect of the network the hacker has access to. If he has access to your computer for a few minutes, he has Options A. If he has access to your media, he has Options B. If he has access to your gateway, he has Options C. If he has access to the ISP, he has Options D, etc., etc....

The problem is that there's a difference between a "provider" and the actual network that your message actually travels over. Obviously, there is no single "global" provider in the world. Any message you send to anyone other than someone directly connected to your segment of a LAN is going to go through at least one router and then out onto the Internet, where it will be handled perhaps by dozens of facilities owned by dozens of entities before it gets to the destination.

So, it's not like the old telephone system, where one company owned all (or almost all) of the network. Even the phone system is no longer that way, and a long distance call to Aunt Martha might be handled by multiple entities, and carried over multiple media from hardwire to satellite. And, multiple entities means, among other problems, multiple points of vulnerability that may be more or less expertly secured and monitored by those different entities. The biggest problem we have with Internet security today is the very fact that no one entity "owns" the responsibility for security.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                      ValleyOne, coming from training and experience in technical surveillance counter measures, TSCM, what SecTrainer has written, you should take very seriously. If it uses a frequency in the spectra, I can assure you it can be caught!
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Just to note: When you use wifi, everything between the Access Point and your computer is going out on the radio.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X