Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Nonrelated" job duties...think you got it bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flashlightcop509
    replied
    . Let lock out guests in...
    . Deliver poilet paper...
    .Deliver towels
    .Deliver soap powder
    .Attend to animal problems
    .Turn on in-room sauna's (Cuz most guests numbering 3 or more ain't got a single brain cell betwixt them...)
    .Yadadadadada.....

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
    when I was an NCO I would go after carts sometimes, I considered it security since those badboys can do quite a bit of damage if given to gravity's bitter wiles.
    Same way as my staff remove trays from Room Service out of the hallways. Those empty bottles of beer can be used as weapons!

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    "Oh, I'm very sorry sir. Let me wipe the crap off that citation...I was just cleaning a toilet and I guess something stuck to my fingers..."
    LOl! Classic Sec, classic!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    when I was an NCO I would go after carts sometimes, I considered it security since those badboys can do quite a bit of damage if given to gravity's bitter wiles.

Leave a comment:

• dsoul27
    replied
    yeah your right......

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by dsoul27 View Post
    I work at a shopping center on graves and one thing the property manger asked me to do is bring in the carts that ventured far off around the center. I don't have to take it to the store, just a little a closer. I hate doing it, but it dosen't kill me. but if I had to clean toilets I would find another company. actually if they gave me a little more money I would do it, but If i'm working as a s/o then thats the kind of work I wanna do. anything extra requires extra money.

Those carts are expensive. Our job is to prevent losses so doing this type of work is directly related to security as is quickly passing mop where someone has vomitted so someone else doesn't slip in it, delivering towels is not.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    Sometimes it's not a matter of bluffing but knowing that they are not in any position to replace you. Remember, I quit this job last December and was gone about 2 weeks. With my 2 week notice they had a month to find someone to take my spot. They didn't and when I came back it was on my terms. They know taht they can't use the "find another job" line when we are willing to jump ship at any time and finding replacements is next to impossible. Besides, they can't have too big of a problem with me. I just got a phone call wanting me to come in for another 8 hours of overtime on my night off. Gotta go get my uniform on.
    I wish we were in that boat. The only job I ever "had them by the ...." was my first hotel where I was Security Officer/Fire Marshal. They knew if they canned me they would be inspected to death by Fire Inspectors, Health Inspectors, Workmen's Safety Inspectors, Office de la Langue Francaise etc etc

Leave a comment:

• dsoul27
    replied
    I work at a shopping center on graves and one thing the property manger asked me to do is bring in the carts that ventured far off around the center. I don't have to take it to the store, just a little a closer. I hate doing it, but it dosen't kill me. but if I had to clean toilets I would find another company. actually if they gave me a little more money I would do it, but If i'm working as a s/o then thats the kind of work I wanna do. anything extra requires extra money.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Sometimes it's not a matter of bluffing but knowing that they are not in any position to replace you. Remember, I quit this job last December and was gone about 2 weeks. With my 2 week notice they had a month to find someone to take my spot. They didn't and when I came back it was on my terms. They know taht they can't use the "find another job" line when we are willing to jump ship at any time and finding replacements is next to impossible. Besides, they can't have too big of a problem with me. I just got a phone call wanting me to come in for another 8 hours of overtime on my night off. Gotta go get my uniform on.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    Wow, that's alot of no security stuff for a park ranger.
    At my site we used to have a janitor service which came through all the buildings after hours to clean up. Well, I wasn't there but apparently one of the janitors and a scale house employee has words. For whatever reason the janitor refused to clean our building which houses the scale office and the security department.
    We didn't get a pay raise or anything but we got a new memo stating that during the night shift the security officers are responsible for emptying the trash cans and sweeping and moping the building. I called bovine feces on the matter and refused to participate in the new chores.
    About 9 months ago they got a janitor who comes into our building every week day morning. She cleans only the bathroom but not the kitchen, hall, scale area or security area. Her stated reason, "The guards are contracters so they can be responsible for guard shack part the building." OK, but even with that reasoning she still does not clean the scale office or shared spaces like the kitchen. The scale operators are all Plant employees.
    We were given a key to the toilet paper holder and the paper towel machine in the bathroom. The guards were expected to refill these in the same bathroom the janitor cleans each day. Again I called bovine feces. After the janitor finishes cleaning the toilet and sink and moping the floor she can restock the paper products. Either that or the guards on the day shift can do it. I ain't.
    Recently we had a employee meeting where the rule regarding the guards cleaning the building were addressed. I reminded the supervisor that I had not seen a pay raise in 3 years and there was no way I was going to perform the extra janitor duties without extra compensation. The discussion was dropped.
    Is still don't mop the floors or bother with the trash. I just don't care.
    When I complained when I was told my staff would have to replace the Houseman 2nights a week (A Houseman is a male Maid, he does the heavy Housekeeping work in an hotel, not Maintenance, who fixes broken thiongs), I was told they could look for new jobs. One of my guys did just that, he quit & joined the Maintenance department. (Better pay & they get every 2nd weekend off). Sometimes Management is NOT bluffing.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    Even so, that seems so extraordinary to me. In one moment your in law enforcement mode handing out tickets to cleaning service mode changing out toilet paper. Damn cutbacks!!

Be safe,

Hank
    "Oh, I'm very sorry sir. Let me wipe the crap off that citation...I was just cleaning a toilet and I guess something stuck to my fingers..."

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    I think it depends on if it is a federal park or a state park. Most state parks these days are hanging on by a thread as cut backs have them on the short list of necessary services an are for the most part staffed with volunteers and min wage folks that unlike pro athletes do their job for the love of it. I have a thing about going into the bathroom at work on one of those days that need instant dumpage only to find the toilet is to disgusting to even think of using. I have 4 boys and only changed 1 dirty diaper yet on the days described above I will do a quick cleanup of said hopper. Go figure. Of course it would be beneficial to all to employ a few well screened homeless or down on their luck to preform these cleaning duties.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Wow, that's alot of no security stuff for a park ranger.
    At my site we used to have a janitor service which came through all the buildings after hours to clean up. Well, I wasn't there but apparently one of the janitors and a scale house employee has words. For whatever reason the janitor refused to clean our building which houses the scale office and the security department.
    We didn't get a pay raise or anything but we got a new memo stating that during the night shift the security officers are responsible for emptying the trash cans and sweeping and moping the building. I called bovine feces on the matter and refused to participate in the new chores.
    About 9 months ago they got a janitor who comes into our building every week day morning. She cleans only the bathroom but not the kitchen, hall, scale area or security area. Her stated reason, "The guards are contracters so they can be responsible for guard shack part the building." OK, but even with that reasoning she still does not clean the scale office or shared spaces like the kitchen. The scale operators are all Plant employees.
    We were given a key to the toilet paper holder and the paper towel machine in the bathroom. The guards were expected to refill these in the same bathroom the janitor cleans each day. Again I called bovine feces. After the janitor finishes cleaning the toilet and sink and moping the floor she can restock the paper products. Either that or the guards on the day shift can do it. I ain't.
    Recently we had a employee meeting where the rule regarding the guards cleaning the building were addressed. I reminded the supervisor that I had not seen a pay raise in 3 years and there was no way I was going to perform the extra janitor duties without extra compensation. The discussion was dropped.
    Is still don't mop the floors or bother with the trash. I just don't care.
    Last edited by EMTGuard; 09-08-2007, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    You're gonna make me reread that damned thread.

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    It all started when I found this website, and got fed up with some blithering idiot who bragged that he could-while bare handed disarm a guy who was armed with two guns, three knives, a tire iron, venomous duck and a chain saw.
    Who was this guy kidding. A venomous duck. The military nearly lost a SEAL team and a Green Beret unit to one last year. No way one guy could do it.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X