New Officer saying hello.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Officer saying hello.

Hi guys! I am a paramedic fed up with private ambulance companies after 15 years so I've decided to go back into security. I worked security FT and PT while going thru EMT school and generally enjoyed it.
    I also Reserve for a local PD and will be going to the Academy in Mar'07. I will only work armed for obvious reasons and I usually work in Birmingham, known to be a real cesspool in areas. I have a degree in Criminal Justice, useless as far as payscale goes But I enjoy the work.
    I am glad to see a community of like-minded officers here discussing the job!

Originally posted by medic15al
    Hi guys! I am a paramedic fed up with private ambulance companies after 15 years so I've decided to go back into security. I worked security FT and PT while going thru EMT school and generally enjoyed it.
    I also Reserve for a local PD and will be going to the Academy in Mar'07. I will only work armed for obvious reasons and I usually work in Birmingham, known to be a real cesspool in areas. I have a degree in Criminal Justice, useless as far as payscale goes But I enjoy the work.
    I am glad to see a community of like-minded officers here discussing the job!
    If you are a paramedic, have a degree, and end-up making a detour on the police career, I recommend that you check out Guardsmark. You will likely start as an account manager and could shortly be promoted to manager-in-charge. MIC salary makes for a comfortable living.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Greetings. I'm a former Firefighter/EMT who quit when the FD when the BS became too much. Got a job with a Security company that puts EMT trained SOs in plants and refineries. Can't say I'm enjoying the experiance of working Industrial EMS for a contract Security outfit much and am probably going to be looking for a job with an ambulance service in the near future.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Lotta FD and EMStypes

I noticed there are a lot of FD and EMS types getting into SO.
        I am a paid captain on the FD here retiring next Oct.

I started a security firm and one of the things Iplan is having all SOs trained to at least the First Responder level of EMS.

Wish you guys luck in your futures.

Comment

Greetings!

I agree with others about the FD/SO thing, my current big boss retired from an FD as the chief, now he manages our entire federal account.

One thing, is your CJ degree an AAS or a 4 year? To make yourself more marketable, you may want to think about completing the next step (i.e. going from your 2 year to a 4 year) in a different discipline. I personally regard my CJ degree as worthless, but am working on my master's in Public Administration, to better appeal to supervisory type of positions (it also looks great on the resume!).

Comment

If you have a four year degree in Criminal Justice and are under 35-years old, and want to go into law enforcement, give the US Marshals Service a long look. Being the oldest federal law enforcement agency, they have opportunities not normally found in the law enforcement community, federal or state. If interested, contact your local district marshals' office.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Bill: You trumped me on that suggestion. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                I noticed there are a lot of FD and EMS types getting into SO.
                I am a paid captain on the FD here retiring next Oct.

I started a security firm and one of the things Iplan is having all SOs trained to at least the First Responder level of EMS.

Wish you guys luck in your futures.
                That was one of my first ideas, as well. Too many times, people rely on the nearest "authority figure" for emergency medical treatment. If they're trained in "basic first aid," that may not be enough, as most "security first aid" courses are so liablity concious that the guard has just enough training to be very dangerous to the patient.

If your going to offer medical response services as part of your contract, shouldn't you have peopel who are certified as first responders?
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

If your going to offer medical response services as part of your contract, shouldn't you have peopel who are certified as first responders?
                  Absolutely. How did your insurance company respond to your idea?

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                      If you have a four year degree in Criminal Justice and are under 35-years old, and want to go into law enforcement, give the US Marshals Service a long look. Being the oldest federal law enforcement agency, they have opportunities not normally found in the law enforcement community, federal or state. If interested, contact your local district marshals' office.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill
                      I can't agree more... 5 years as a licensed PI makes you eligible for the US Marshal Service, with or without a degree. If I do hit that mark, I will look and see if the US Marshal Service is still appealing
                      Last edited by davis002; 02-08-2006, 02:02 PM.
                      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Thanks Guys! Guardsmark around here only want unarmed security and I refuse to work unarmed. If a unarmed post is tempting, I carry concealed on my license. I will not be helpless. I have an A.A.S. in CJ. I refuse to act in the capacity as an EMT unless I have a ALS setup and transport with a company lawyer backing me. Too much can go wrong.

Comment

I would like all SOs trained to the First Responder level regardless of the contract. I feel the extra level of training helps install a higher level of self-disipline.
                          A lot of contracts here willpay extra for EMTs but not so much FRs.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                            I would like all SOs trained to the First Responder level regardless of the contract. I feel the extra level of training helps install a higher level of self-disipline.
                            A lot of contracts here willpay extra for EMTs but not so much FRs.
                            Even if they won't pay extra, they may decide that its a factor, especially if they don't have trained responders at their site. Especially if there is a history of injury at the site, due to the nature of the work performed or accident rate.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X