Running license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running license plates

I was wondering if anyone else has any system for running license plate information at their site.

We have a vendor that supplies us with a CD formatted searchable database of current vehicle registration information for the state of Wisconsin. Recently we have begun been having issues with the vendor, the most recent editions of their product that we have gotten are out of date before they are shipped and only return “hits” 50-60% of the time. So, needless to say, we are looking for a new vendor and I was hoping that someone here would have some suggestions.

The alternative would not necessarily need to be in a CD format; in fact I would actually prefer something internet based as the laptops in our vehicles have a wireless connection. I’m also hoping to find something that would give information for all states rather than being state specific. I don’t know if what I’m looking for is actually out there, but thought this group would be good people to ask.
    Drew Neckar
    Hospital Security Supervisor
    ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
    --Oscar Wilde—

Wouldn't even be legal in CA unless there is LE involvement. And then there has to be a legitimate LE reason to run a plate. I know of a former Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy who was fired for running a plate for personal reasons.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Total invasion of privacy in Ma. Even cops have to tell the dispatcher what the look up is for. In the past it was well known that some cops would see a pretty girl and run her plate just to get her personal info and if she has a history it makes it easier to find a reason to stop her. Security would never be able to access plate numbers. On a side note the cruiser computers connect to the out of state RMVs directly and the dispatcher connects to the out of state info through the in state system and the cruiser tends to get more Info.
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Not available here.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

When I worked at TWC someone said at one of the accounts, one of the duties was to run plates of incoming vehicles.

I highly highly doubt they were using anything that worked off the DOL, NCIC, WACIC, systems though. Probably just private files.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalOfc. View Post
            I was wondering if anyone else has any system for running license plate information at their site.

We have a vendor that supplies us with a CD formatted searchable database of current vehicle registration information for the state of Wisconsin. Recently we have begun been having issues with the vendor, the most recent editions of their product that we have gotten are out of date before they are shipped and only return “hits” 50-60% of the time. So, needless to say, we are looking for a new vendor and I was hoping that someone here would have some suggestions.

The alternative would not necessarily need to be in a CD format; in fact I would actually prefer something internet based as the laptops in our vehicles have a wireless connection. I’m also hoping to find something that would give information for all states rather than being state specific. I don’t know if what I’m looking for is actually out there, but thought this group would be good people to ask.
            This is where, I actually love Maryland. "security" can't get access, however as PI we can get access to the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration) computer, via the internet. It's a direct link to the MVA, and updates daily around midnight. You can run plates, DL, and vin numbers. It will also display if the vehicle is reported stolen. However, it's $9 per hit, so if you don't watch it, you can have a huge bill at the end of the month. Another cool thing about Maryland, is that, we can also get direct access to the Maryland Court system. We can check criminal, civil and traffic cases. It'll also display if someone has an open warrant, however you'll need to call the police to have them verify if it's still an open warrant.

As far as NCIC goes, they (DOJ) are cracking down on the use of it. Quite a few departments just went through an audit. I also, recently heard of a interesting story of a bored county police officer, that decided to run President Bush, actually I think it was Bush, Sr. Anyway, within about 20 - 30 seconds, the dispatcher told him to report to his station. Within the hour, U.S. Secret Service, the Chief and his Sgt. were all behind closed doors.
            "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

They are so worried aboutr the privacy laws in Montreal taht even after they find the name of the vehicle owner they sometimes don't want to tell us. So you have a vehicle in the parking lot with the lights on. You call the police, They find the owner but then can't ask at the front desk if that person is registered
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                They are so worried aboutr the privacy laws in Montreal taht even after they find the name of the vehicle owner they sometimes don't want to tell us. So you have a vehicle in the parking lot with the lights on. You call the police, They find the owner but then can't ask at the front desk if that person is registered
                Call the police for a vehicle with the lights on?
                "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

DMV records, subject to the national Driver Privacy Act, are usually matters of public record. The states sell these databases to vendors.

I've seen good results with Public Data, publicdata.com, and if you can afford it... Intellus.

The key to finding out if they're useful or not is if they request a copy of the security company or PI company license. The national Driver Privacy Act has provisions to allow PIs and security firms to look up "privileged" information, such as photographs.

Most states sell their data, its just you have to buy it from a vendor.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                    DMV records, subject to the national Driver Privacy Act, are usually matters of public record. The states sell these databases to vendors.

I've seen good results with Public Data, publicdata.com, and if you can afford it... Intellus.

The key to finding out if they're useful or not is if they request a copy of the security company or PI company license. The national Driver Privacy Act has provisions to allow PIs and security firms to look up "privileged" information, such as photographs.

Most states sell their data, its just you have to buy it from a vendor.
                    I've heard from my partner, that Intellius is the best out there. Another good database is AutoTrack. I'm not that pleased with Entersect, as it usually comes up with stuff, that I can find just by going to google dot com.

Comment

Yes -- Missouri permits security officers to access the Alert MULES system to do warrant checks, and to obtain info from driver's licenses and license plates. You should be mindful of the "Driver's Privacy Protection Act" Title 18 U.S.C., Sec., 2721.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...1----000-.html
                      Last edited by Christopherstjo; 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Here's me take on this issue; I am MORE concerned about Officer Safety than I am who drives the Blue Honda 4dr sdn with Lic ABC 123. I would rather be able to tell if someone I am contacting is wanted, or has a history of violence, (especially towards LE, as most people cannot defferentiate LE from S/O this is important to me) or known career criminal, or known to be armed.

If something happens and I am able to log (make record) of that Blue Honda Lic ABC 123, then the PD has plenty of detectives to take that and run with it.

In my time I have come across stolen cars, and never needed to have a laptop linked to a DMV system. I have a decent relationship local dispatch and merely call them up on a vehicle that seems VERY suspicious. I call them give them plate the reason of the interest and see if they have any interest in the vehicle as well; "Since it's stolen, yeah we have some interest in it./ Can you standby?"

I even did this in Portland and was able to recover a stolen before the owner knew it was stolen.
                        ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                        Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                          Here's me take on this issue; I am MORE concerned about Officer Safety than I am who drives the Blue Honda 4dr sdn with Lic ABC 123. I would rather be able to tell if someone I am contacting is wanted, or has a history of violence, (especially towards LE, as most people cannot defferentiate LE from S/O this is important to me) or known career criminal, or known to be armed.

If something happens and I am able to log (make record) of that Blue Honda Lic ABC 123, then the PD has plenty of detectives to take that and run with it.

In my time I have come across stolen cars, and never needed to have a laptop linked to a DMV system. I have a decent relationship local dispatch and merely call them up on a vehicle that seems VERY suspicious. I call them give them plate the reason of the interest and see if they have any interest in the vehicle as well; "Since it's stolen, yeah we have some interest in it./ Can you standby?"

I even did this in Portland and was able to recover a stolen before the owner knew it was stolen.
                          The only downside to doing that is, you'll sit there and debate "should I call this in, or should I just leave it be". There is nothing better than being able to run your own information.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                            Nate, any idea on accuracy and percentage of hits with either of these.
                            Drew Neckar

--Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                              Access to this information is in a large part why we are looking to find a system like this. In Wisconsin as well as in the nearest neighboring states all criminal courts information is contained in a searchable Internet database similar to what "BadboyMD" mentioned. So before we even approach a suspicious vehicle we can know most of this information about the registered owner.

Being able to check registered owner information is also very helpful when we happen to run across occupied stolen vehicles, which does happen from time to time.

Of course we also use license plate information for the less glamorous (and dangerous) task of parking enforcement.
                              Drew Neckar

--Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X