N.i.m.s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.i.m.s

Has anyone taken the National Incident management System ( N.I.M.S)? Rumor has it that some agencies have had all of its personnel take it and have received grants for certain contract sites, such as specialized equipment and training. Anyones input would be great.

I am not sure if this is true but was wondering if anyone has heard anything.

Originally posted by hemi444
    Has anyone taken the National Incident management System ( N.I.M.S)? Rumor has it that some agencies have had all of its personnel take it and have received grants for certain contract sites, such as specialized equipment and training. Anyones input would be great.

I am not sure if this is true but was wondering if anyone has heard anything.
    Negative Ghostrider, but I perused the courses and thinking it'd be a good way to fill up days off when I don't have anything else to do. Have you done the MCTFT ones?

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
      Have you done the MCTFT ones?
      No I have not would you be so kind to pm me with the details

Comment

I took it about two months ago, wasn't real bad. My whole Department had to take it. We got one grant already for radios.

Comment

DHS is handing grants out the wazoo. Most of the grants are public/private. Ie: If your agency can show how you merit the funding over everyone else, public or private, then you get it.

They've curved back now, you need to show compelling need.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I've taken ICS and NIMS both through the FEMA Independant Study program. It's not required by the Security company that I'm working for but recently the local Office of Emergency Preparedness required ALL responders in our area (Police, Fire, Public works) to take the NIMS training. The Fire Department that I used to work at had a instructor come to it's main station and give the class.
            ICS, and now NIMS, have been getting more attention now that some grants hinge on dollars only going to those agencies that have the training. The sad thing is how long some departments have held out avoiding the training. The Fire Department where I worked refused to have anything to do with it until REQUIRED to do so this month.
            Meanwhile, 5 years ago, local Ham Radio Operators who assist with emergency communications were training on ICS. The Ham radio group met in a room at the Red Cross Chapter and a Ham, who worked for an area OEP, gave the class based on the FEMA IS course and a Powerpoint program he had written.
            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I have taken both the original IMS and then the NIMS. They are very similar.

As a paid FD Captain I use it quite often and have used it on several large incidents.
              I have yet to use it or be involved as an SO tho but with the things that can happen in our world today I can see the benifit of ALL involved in security work of any nature being trained in NIMS.

For example if an incident (ie, earthquake, tornado, terrorist, whatever) where to involve a mall where the security was provided by contract or private security officers then they would almost certainly perform a function in the management of that incident. Depending on the size of the mall and the number of SOs I as an IC would rely on their knowledge of the layout, pre-exsisting problems (both building systems and criminal), and other items that someone spending time observing would know.

To properly work in the system you have to know how the system works.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                I have taken both the original IMS and then the NIMS. They are very similar.

As a paid FD Captain I use it quite often and have used it on several large incidents.
                I have yet to use it or be involved as an SO tho but with the things that can happen in our world today I can see the benifit of ALL involved in security work of any nature being trained in NIMS.

For example if an incident (ie, earthquake, tornado, terrorist, whatever) where to involve a mall where the security was provided by contract or private security officers then they would almost certainly perform a function in the management of that incident. Depending on the size of the mall and the number of SOs I as an IC would rely on their knowledge of the layout, pre-exsisting problems (both building systems and criminal), and other items that someone spending time observing would know.

To properly work in the system you have to know how the system works.
                I find your professional reliance on the contract security force at an incident scene ... interesting. I would of thought that the contract security force at the mall the IC took over for the staging point would be removed, and force protection be provided by law enforcement, either local or FEMA dispatched.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

As a paid FD Captain I use it quite often and have used it on several large incidents.I have yet to use it or be involved as an SO tho but with the things that can happen in our world today I can see the benifit of ALL involved in security work of any nature being trained in NIMS.
                  In the past I have been able to use I.C.S and fire/ EMS training during my s/o experience several time. One evening we were called to an accident reported with a fatality. I was the first s/o on the seen and established command and controlled the whole incident even up to the reconstruction investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I find your professional reliance on the contract security force at an incident scene ... interesting. I would of thought that the contract security force at the mall the IC took over for the staging point would be removed, and force protection be provided by law enforcement, either local or FEMA dispatched.
                    The city where I work has a force of about 150 LEO total with 30-40 on duty at one time.
                    If it were a terrorist incident at a mall then we would have a fairly adequate response on LE. I would still have use for the mall Sos as I said before because of their site knowledge. (The PD commander would take control of them once he reaches the CP until then it would be upto me).
                    In the case of a natural disaster that affects alarge part or the whole city then that number of LEOs will not be enough. The site SOs would be worth their weight in gold then.

Comment

The city where I work has a force of about 150 LEO total with 30-40 on duty at one time.
                      If it were a terrorist incident at a mall then we would have a fairly adequate response on LE. I would still have use for the mall Sos as I said before because of their site knowledge. (The PD commander would take control of them once he reaches the CP until then it would be upto me).
                      In the case of a natural disaster that affects alarge part or the whole city then that number of LEOs will not be enough. The site SOs would be worth their weight in gold then.
                      I like people who think like you.

From what I understand in New Orleans, during Katrina, and still to this day, there's alot of deputized (USMS) private contractors running around with full auto M4s.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X