X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
    All contract officers in CT, I think Mass too not sure. I thought there was talk about making in house in CT where them but I could be mistaken. Somewhere around here I have a humorous image of what the Wackenhut Badge looks like in CT
    Thanks for the clarification! I was not aware of that. Interesting. Thank God I do not live in Conneticut.

Be safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• gcmc security part 2
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    Ok, I'm curious...who wears square badges?
    All contract officers in CT, I think Mass too not sure. I thought there was talk about making in house in CT where them but I could be mistaken. Somewhere around here I have a humorous image of what the Wackenhut Badge looks like in CT

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
    Sure they will....right after they get rid of the square badges lol
    Ok, I'm curious...who wears square badges?

Leave a comment:

• gcmc security part 2
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
    (Probably not CT, though)
    Sure they will....right after they get rid of the square badges lol

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Private security companies and personnel may display amber and green light bars, no one else may.
    Thanks Nathan -- good to know. Maybe some other state will do likewise. (Probably not CT, though)

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Private security companies and personnel may display amber and green light bars, no one else may.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    FL Lightbars

Ok, I'll bite: What's the new law referred to in a post above?

Leave a comment:

• weathers
    replied
    Ok so I think its about 2 days of training once I finish the training and send the state fee can I go ahead and apply for a job? or I have to wait for the license to arrive?

Leave a comment:

• BadBoynMD
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    One of these days the laws will be useful enough that I might actually entertain working down there.

Right now... Sorry. Nope.
    Come to Maryland, you'll love it here.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    One of these days the laws will be useful enough that I might actually entertain working down there.

Right now... Sorry. Nope.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog View Post
    Your D class instructor was obviously not taught that you as a private citizen have common law rights to arrest for a felony in presence or with probable cause and a breach of peace involving violence(no one is really taught this one) SO we have more "legal rights" than people think.

I for one have been assiting The Florida Association of Security Companies (FASCO ) in writing bills to better the industry and give security officers more legal rights and protections. I assisted in writing the Detention bill that is in the fl house now as did nathan. I had some input on the lights bill passed last session. Im currently working on a bill that would make it a crime to disarm a security officer of a firearm or other weapon or communication device while in performance of duties. If you Want to keep up on the projects FASCO is working on visit www.fascoweb.com
    I for one, have benefited from the hard work Nathan and Dog have done as a Licenses Armed Officer in Florida. I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    Good work. Thanks for the link. I was under the impression that while the SO was in uniform and on duty, that his 'legal citizen rights' were constrained (or at least in question) by law and by most company policies. Until you have a bill that will profit someone or reduce their liabilities, it will have reduced chances of passage imo. Of course disarming or removing communication devices from a SO would be a crime for anyone unless law enforcement was doing it in the performance of their duties: so you should have no road blocks with that bill.

I will be interested in following your progress. Good luck.
    Disarming a private citizen of communications is a misdemeanor, which means unless the police see it, there's no arrest coming.

It has been argued that disarming a private citizen of a firearm is a felony (Grand Theft - Firearm), so that the police can arrest for it even though they didn't see it. Also, the private citizen could technically arrest for it, as well.

The constraint on a licensed security officer applies at all times, as the law makes no differentiation between on duty or off duty guards. You will find that 493 has no concept of "on duty" or "off duty," and limits licensees from performing certain actions at all times as a condition of licensing.

This means, quite simply, that if you violate 493.6118 at any time you can have administrative or criminal sanctions taken against you. It has not happened yet, but it basically means that if you throw a trespasser out of your own home you can lose your license and pay a 10k fine to the state.

An man who held a D and G license but worked in another industry was accused of simple battery. The victim reported the incident to the state, and the state revoked his licenses and assessed a huge fine against him. He was not "on duty" or "off duty" as a security officer, he didn't even work in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog View Post
    Your D class instructor was obviously not taught that you as a private citizen have common law rights to arrest for a felony in presence or with probable cause and a breach of peace involving violence(no one is really taught this one) SO we have more "legal rights" than people think.

I for one have been assiting The Florida Association of Security Companies (FASCO ) in writing bills to better the industry and give security officers more legal rights and protections. I assisted in writing the Detention bill that is in the fl house now as did nathan. I had some input on the lights bill passed last session. Im currently working on a bill that would make it a crime to disarm a security officer of a firearm or other weapon or communication device while in performance of duties. If you Want to keep up on the projects FASCO is working on visit www.fascoweb.com
    Good work. Thanks for the link. I was under the impression that while the SO was in uniform and on duty, that his 'legal citizen rights' were constrained (or at least in question) by law and by most company policies. Until you have a bill that will profit someone or reduce their liabilities, it will have reduced chances of passage imo. Of course disarming or removing communication devices from a SO would be a crime for anyone unless law enforcement was doing it in the performance of their duties: so you should have no road blocks with that bill.

I will be interested in following your progress. Good luck.
    Last edited by ddog; 09-01-2007, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    If fighting street people is your goal without adequate protection, equitable pay, and legal rights in FL, then more power to you. My FL D class material indicated a balanced counterattack to defend yourself or others safety and welfare was the 'only' legal use of fighting of any type for SO's. Whatever the customer wants is the goal, and hopefully your supervisor will assist you in determining the best course of action. But there should be some way to prevent that preceding scenario with a little thought and planning.

Not only are there hundreds of thousands street people, but many may be fairly smart and bait SO's for a handsome suit. SO's fighting people in any form is a slippery legal slope, and a huge liability for the rebel SO's company.

As far as proactive SO's goes, the mental part and communicating effectively can bypass most problems. As far as raises go, I'm doing fine because I'm proactively hustling all day long. And whether I'm first to get the equipment or not, its all new stuff and all the same: only the sizes are different.

"If you are content doing what many consider 'C average**' then go ahead. Just stay out of the way of those trying to change the image of this industry."

Lol, really don't know what you are talking about, but refering to what you have 'done' will speak more clearly than 'hyping' some unknown course of action in the future. I am trying to work within the law and my customers best interests. The pay is far from rewarding in itself, but I do like to eat and live in a house, so I am not complaining. Tell me more about your crusade to change the SO image. From my perspective, Armed Forces Veterans are predominantly top-notch professional SO's. Others on average do not measure up as well in maturity and job performance. Those are my concrete observations to date to best divide SO performance levels bi-modally.

I've done my homework, and doing about 95% so far. I enjoy feedback here on this site for a variety of experiences; and am deeply interested in a range of research information for personal use. But I never confuse 'net' revenues (Gross Revenues - Expenses) and personal interests: that's just an opportunity to get taken advantage of in this or any other business.

Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    hey there slick

before you go shooting off your keyboard, read that it is a general post. It is in regards to our company policy. (I even said that to make it easier on you.)

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X