Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB diligence
    replied
    I work and actually prefer 12 hour shifts for the amount of time we get off. I have had times where I catch myself doing the "bob", that happens more often on a weekend dayshift when it's really quiet. I always pick up my coffee on my way into work and try to have a decent sleep the night/day before, at least 6 hours sleep minimum and no partying when I have to work in the AM. I am not one for allot of those energy drinks, too many WILL REALLY mess you up!

As for anyone caught sleeping on the job, I suggest disciplinary action, the drug & alcohol tests are a good idea as well. Those guys are also fortunate that they get to switch posts from time to time, a change in scenery is a great way to keep fresh. I am fortunate that I have patrols to do and that I work at a busy location.

Another issue may be one of complaisance the whole "it's just another quiet weekend shift where nothing happens"... But isn't it when your up to nothing/not very much or on regular patrol, that the phone or radio goes off and your on your way to the unordinary???

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    The inspector spent two minutes trying to rouse the unnamed guard Sunday afternoon before the guard "stood up and opened his eyes," said Neil Sheehan, spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
    I rather enjoy working 12's (like I said before who doesn't want 4 days off?), but c'mon in the afternoon? This would've been a terminable offense even if working 8's. I mean WTF Doofy? It's a Nuclear Site, in today's times there is NO excuse. Coffee, Monster Energy drinks, Damn near whatever it takes, Stay awake and alert.

That's just me though...

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by craig333 View Post
    Maybe not "no one" but pretty much most people.

Kind of brings up another question. How do you get yourself alert to start your shift? I'm not a morning person but i have to be at work at 5:30 am. I've found myself wondering if I was going up the stairwell or down because I was still half asleep. I usually don't get my coffee until I"ve been work 45 minutes and have the intial walkthru done.
    I also agree that 12 hour shifts are too much for most security work.

I'm not a morning oerson either. I get around it by working the 15h00 to 23h00 shift!

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
    Not to excuse the sleeping guard, but this is my problem with 12 hour shifts. Even if one is awake, NO ONE is alert towards the end of a 12 hour shift.

Maybe not "no one" but pretty much most people.

Kind of brings up another question. How do you get yourself alert to start your shift? I'm not a morning person but i have to be at work at 5:30 am. I've found myself wondering if I was going up the stairwell or down because I was still half asleep. I usually don't get my coffee until I"ve been work 45 minutes and have the intial walkthru done.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    My bank post is much like that checkpoint. Sitting with nothing to do but people watch for 12 hours. I play mental games like counting the caddilacs, or mentally transforming the Mitsubishi in front of me. Of course I can also read the paper or a novel as long as I don't get too embedded in it.

If I had absolutely nothing to keep my brain going, I'd be struggling not to sleep too on that post.

Leave a comment:

• SgtUSMC8541
    replied
    I live about 15 miles from there. There was an issue about 2 years ago, and its still an issue there, where the officers end up working mandatory overtime. 2 years ago the officers were averaging about 60 to 80 hours a week. THere is a fine line when the "boss" says you HAVE to work to keep your job........ when do you just say no. I would have, but I dont work there.

Leave a comment:

• SRT S-1
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
    Not to excuse the sleeping guard, but this is my problem with 12 hour shifts. Even if one is awake, NO ONE is alert towards the end of a 12 hour shift.
    i would have to disagree with you Andy. i work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week. i do not have this problem. but of course i do things to keep my mind going and my sanity about me.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SRT S-1
    replied
    can we say bye bye. i thank i would terminate him if i was the big boss there. thats all bad if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    started a topic Armed guard found asleep at nuke plant

Armed guard found asleep at nuke plant

More Bad press.

By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Aug 27, 5:32 PM ET

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - A federal inspector found an armed guard asleep at a gate inside the Indian Point nuclear power plants but officials said Monday there was no security breach.

ADVERTISEMENT

The inspector spent two minutes trying to rouse the unnamed guard Sunday afternoon before the guard "stood up and opened his eyes," said Neil Sheehan, spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The five-year veteran was alone on the second of three security rings around the two plants in Buchanan, about 35 miles north of New York City, Sheehan said.

He said other security measures at the gate remained in operation during the guard's nap and tapes showed there was no breach, "but that doesn't make it any less serious."

Jim Steets, spokesman for Indian Point owner Entergy Nuclear, said the other measures included a palm-print reader and a badge scanner. The two would have had to match before the gate would open.

There was another security ring that would have had to be passed to reach critical areas, including the reactor and the spent-fuel pool, Sheehan said.

The guard was found sleeping during a "backshift" inspection — focused on night and weekend operations.

Sheehan said Entergy "needs to get to the bottom of this and make sure the staff knows this is unacceptable."

Steets said the guard, an Entergy employee, was placed on administrative leave pending tests for drugs and alcohol and a review. He said the guard carried a sidearm.

He said security guards are rotated from post to post during their 12-hour shifts — "in part to keep them attentive" — and the guard had worked two previous posts on Sunday. His shift began at 6 a.m.

Indian Point, on the Hudson River 35 miles north of midtown Manhattan, has attracted widespread criticism, especially since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. The problems included siren failures and leaks of radioactive water.

Officials and activists say its safety and security are questionable. Federal regulators have turned away attempts to have it shut down, however.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X