Security Tackles And Chokes Suject

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
    Nice application of the LVNR by the security officer. However, I really hope no one here stands with their hands in their pockets and at their sides when making contact with a suspect. That's terrible officer presence and an officer safety issue. Your stance should be bladed and your hands should always be up in front of your chest and ready to fight if need be.
    Adding that a proper "interview stance", would be a few of the following...

1. Keeping the side of your body that has your weapons (mainly the handgun), away from the subject.

2. As stated by LPguy, always keeping your hands out in front of you.

3. Keeping your arms crossed at chest level, or speaking with hand movements (which we naturally do however, doing it more than usual). Always keeping your hands in a position that you can defend yourself instantly in case of an attack.

4. Keeping a within a certain distance from yourself, and the subject.

5. Never take field notes, unless you have a backup officer present. While you're looking down to write information, the subject could use this opportunity to attack you while you're off guard.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
      Adding that a proper "interview stance", would be a few of the following...
      Great info to add. While standing in a bladed stance, keep your weapon side away from the suspect, but be sure you are not standing sideways. Your chest (and body armor, if worn) should be facing the suspect. A good distance to stand is two arms-lengths away, which is an appropriate reactionary distance. I wouldn't recommend standing with arms crossed, but instead, with your hands pressed or clasped together at chest level. If your arms are crossed, you need to unfold them, and that slows down your reaction time.

Comment

Nice application of the LVNR by the security officer. However, I really hope no one here stands with their hands in their pockets and at their sides when making contact with a suspect. That's terrible officer presence and an officer safety issue. Your stance should be bladed and your hands should always be up in front of your chest and ready to fight if need be.
        Oddly enough (in this State) the 'bladed stance' is considered aggressive posturing and an elevation of the SO's Force Continuum, with the increase of CCTV, litigation & aggressive encounters for SO's, recent training now emphasises a 'squared on' approach as it looks less aggressive
        Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-26-2007, 11:48 PM.
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
          Oddly enough (in this State) the 'bladed stance' is considered aggressive posturing and an elevation of the SO's Force Continuum, with the increase of CCTV, litigation & aggressive encounters for SO's, recent training now emphasises a 'squared on' approach as it looks less aggressive

...Ridiculous.

I'm speechless, really.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend standing with arms crossed, but instead, with your hands pressed or clasped together at chest level. If your arms are crossed, you need to unfold them, and that slows down your reaction time.
            Actually, it's still pretty effective. Basically you're pushing your arms straight forward, therefore you're reaction time is still pretty quick. In my last defensive tacs class, we did this several times. As long as your hands remain in front of you, you're reaction times should be pretty quick.
            "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by LPguy
              ...Ridiculous.

I'm speechless, really.
              It's a little silly that we have to be concerned with 'how we look' when we perform our duties, as opposed to using the best defensive tactic dictated by the situation

While standing 'full on' could be considered creating a soft/easy target, our defensive tactics instruction nicely complimented the lesser aggressive stance with deflection techniques
              Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-27-2007, 12:50 AM.
              "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Actually, it's still pretty effective. Basically you're pushing your arms straight forward, therefore you're reaction time is still pretty quick. In my last defensive tacs class, we did this several times. As long as your hands remain in front of you, you're reaction times should be pretty quick.
                As long as your hands aren't in your pockets...

I think the bigger reason I dislike standing with arms crossed is because of the unprofessional body language appearance it gives. While speaking with victims, it may create the perception that you're disinterested or guarded, and while speaking with suspects, it causes you to look unprepared and relaxed. I generally find a hands-in-front posture to be the best all-around.

Comment

As long as your hands aren't in your pockets...

I think the bigger reason I dislike standing with arms crossed is because of the unprofessional body language appearance it gives. While speaking with victims, it may create the perception that you're disinterested or guarded, and while speaking with suspects, it causes you to look unprepared and relaxed. I generally find a hands-in-front posture to be the best all-around.
                  Well, my take on it is that if it's a knucklehead, they can think what they want. If they want to be dumb, then most times there gonna "try" you. Dealing with a victim, you're facial expressions will set the tone. Usually when, I am dealing with a victim defense mode is slightly off. Chance favors the prepared mind. Plus, usually when you're speaking with a victim, you're taking notes, atleast we hope so.

Comment

Well, my take on it is that if it's a knucklehead, they can think what they want. If they want to be dumb, then most times there gonna "try" you.
                    If someone wants to be an idiot and fight me, then they better pack a lunch, because I'm going to be here for a while. But I don't want to invite them into it, either, because you can only fight so many people every day before it starts to get a little old. Not to mention the paperwork involved...

Comment

I find that squaring off 90 degrees with your side arm opposite to the subject and your hands on your duty belt to be the safest and yet project an air of respectability. Just as long as you dont rest your hand on your gun, obviously
                      sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

If someone wants to be an idiot and fight me, then they better pack a lunch, because I'm going to be here for a while. But I don't want to invite them into it, either, because you can only fight so many people every day before it starts to get a little old. Not to mention the paperwork involved...
                        ...I feel you there... my feeling is the same way. Specially sense, I hate paperwork. I've only gotten into only a few altercations, as i've been blessed to talk my way out of situations. Then again, my size is a bit intimidating.

Comment

I Would Have Say That S/o # 2 Should Have Never Left His Partner Like That If He Had Been Right There I Think Their Would Have Been No Reson To Use The Choke Hold Or The Lvnr. 2 Officers Should Be Adaquit Use Of Force If You Ask Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
                            I find that squaring off 90 degrees with your side arm opposite to the subject and your hands on your duty belt to be the safest and yet project an air of respectability. Just as long as you dont rest your hand on your gun, obviously

I disagree. If you're facing a suspect in a squared-off stance, you are not balanced and will need to adjust your feet if you need to fight. In addition, your hands at your waist and on your duty belt are doing nothing to protect your chest and face if you suddenly need to react.

Reaction time, people. Reaction time. The less time it takes to react to something, the better chance you have of winning. Why deliberately place obstacles in our way that slow our reaction time? You know that if you need to fight, you'll need to be in a bladed stance with your hands up. Why would you not already be in that stance if you're making contact with a suspect? You don't stand there with your fists clenched in a boxer's guard, but with your hands clasped together at chest level in a professional manner. You can also take notes with a notebook and pen from this position, still being able to look up and see your surroundings without even moving your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post

You have got to be kidding. I for one will not be doing any security work in your state.
                              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalOfficer View Post
                                Saw this video and thought of everyone. I don't know about choking someone though.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=397_1187905672
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pklq_ShnbA
                                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X