Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankloud
    replied
    I have work in a psyciatric ward for 4 years, and have been performing general security for over 20 years. As you may know O.C spray is not allowed by security officers in Australia.
    The idea of having O.C spray, batons, weapons and other items within patient reach is frightening. Imagine if a patient got hold of any of those items?

If i arrived at work and confronted a patient with some of those uniforms worn (see above) i would be targeted. Mental health patients hate police (they are usually dragged in by them kicking and screaming) and the uniforms shown are too close to looking like cops for my liking.

The idea at my workplace is to look and dress as less confronting as possible.
    I wear a plain blue shirt with "security" written on the back, and dark blue pants. No baton, spray, cuffs, gun.

We have been trained in aggression minimisation techniques and use these techniques everyday. We have also been trained in self defence and 5 point takedown manouveres, 1 person for each arm, 1 for each leg and 1 to support the head and neck on the way down. This doesn't always work of course.
    I will try to attach copies of our "zero tolerance to aggression" policy and procedure on a different forum page.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie-SO View Post
    Maelstrom is this product available in Australia and if so are you aware of where it can be purchased?
    Currently the only place I've come across DYEwitness is at LEGear, they're not a bad bunch to deal with... that's where my ASP came from

EDIT: - I just located another Australian supplier of this product which can be obtained for $50.00 AUD @ Karajan.com

BTW product dimensions are 35mm(D) x 130mm(H)

Originally posted by Aussie-SO View Post
    I wonder how an SO would go if he/she were to use this as a weapon of defence? Considering in most cases SO's are unarmed and have only there communication skills and a good set of legs as a defence against would be attackers.
    Seeing as the foam is non toxic, non irritant, non flammable, biodegradable & water based I don't see how it would fall under the 'noxious emitting irritant devices' category of your State's controlled weapons legislation
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-16-2007, 05:56 AM. Reason: Located additional Australian product supplier

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Those DyeWitness pictures are pretty funny. The after photos look like a Chia Pet. It would probably only serve to upset a bad guy intent on doing damage though.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    DyeWitness is good if you can't have anything else, but you either need to run very fast, or take the suspect down very hard once its deployed.

OC works through pain, fear, and disorientation. Dyewitness only has fear (possibly) and disorientation, no pain. Hence, they're going to be startled, and you have a few seconds to run or engage. But unlike OC, the disorientation won't last long.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie-SO
    replied
    Maelstrom is this product available in Australia and if so are you aware of where it can be purchased?

I wonder how an SO would go if he/she were to use this as a weapon of defense? Considering in most cases SO's are unarmed and have only there communication skills and a good set of legs as a defense against would be attackers.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Okay, so the Hospital wants to avoid using OC because of social perceptions, potential litigation risks or budgetary constraints (training/supply)? why not opt for the softer alternative to OC spray/foam?

DYEWitness is a non-toxic spray combined with a die that creates a foaming action on contact, as it's not an 'irritant based' application it's legal even under Australia's strict legislation, whilst it's applications for Security are obvious it's also being readily adopted by taxi drivers here to combat fare evasion

More information available @ http://www.dyewitness.com/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by SLW21 View Post
    I Work In A Hospital In Ky We Work One Man Shifts Alot On Weekends We Have A Mental Health Unit We Can Carry Cuffs Pepper And Keys No Car Before Moving To Ky I Carried In Ca
    Is this the title of your new book? Why is every word capitalized?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    keep a kubotan on your keychain and you got yourself a +1 hinged mace lol

Leave a comment:

• Badge714
    replied
    Originally posted by Blade Runner View Post
    Pardon my french, but it sounds like Minnesota is a bunch of hardasses when it comes to regulations on private security.
    Minnesota is the "state where nothing is allowed" according to the host of a popular Twin Cities radio show.

Leave a comment:

• SLW21
    replied
    I Work In A Hospital In Ky We Work One Man Shifts Alot On Weekends We Have A Mental Health Unit We Can Carry Cuffs Pepper And Keys No Car Before Moving To Ky I Carried In Ca

Leave a comment:

• HospitalPatrol
    replied
    I used to work at the hospital but since got a better job in corporate security for a different company.

I have found that in most areas of security and especially health care security the most important thing is not how much equipment you have but rather how well you train with whatever your organization is giving you. For example:
    I wore one of those whistles that has a chain that attaches to the thing on your shoulder and the whistle goes in your pocket. It looked cool and I got to use it once in a while when there were car accidents in the lot. One day I had to restrain a pt and the woman grabbed it and it became a weapon that she tried whip me to death with. I put her down and got it back but since then I learned to put the whistle chain in my pocket before going on the psych floor.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Originally posted by WKSecurity View Post
    I asked the Director today if we are authorized for Mace and taser use and he replied no...the Hospital attorney shot that request down for the very reason you stated above. As far as the tasers are concerned I don't see why the aren't authorized, I believe it is one of the best ways to control someone who is acting a fool and a threat to someone or himself...since we do have the Behavioral Medicine unit at our hospital. The holster I currently have on my duty belt is the Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 Retention holster. I love this holster.

Link to holster:
    http://www.blackhawkvideos.com/video...ar/level3.html
    Thats why they make pepper foam.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
    I should also note, I saw an illegal Securitas station wagon in Champlin yesterday. It was white in color.

But let me guess, the police allow it because it is a station wagon?

Would they do anything if it was a Crown Vic?
    Considering Securitas is running with red to the front (authorized for emergency vehicles only), doubtful.

Leave a comment:

• bigcollins25
    replied
    My first Security job was working in a hospital. I am completely shocked that some hospitals would have their security carrying lethal weapons.
    I worked in a level 2 trauma hospital and we were required to carry our keys and gloves.
    I was one of the few that went overboard by carrying a 2-cell mag with a duty belt.
    Reason for not carrying any weapons: What if while restraining a patient, they reach for something on your belt and use it to their advantage? I mean I have had MULTIPLE occasions where I have been in VERY close contact with out of control patients. I've been bitten, thrown on the ground, and almost choked (Dont wear a ID badge on your shoulder with a retractable cord)...
    I cant imagine being close to those people and them being arms reach of a fire arm...
    Last edited by bigcollins25; 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Minneapolis Security
    replied
    I should also note, I saw an illegal Securitas station wagon in Champlin yesterday. It was white in color.

But let me guess, the police allow it because it is a station wagon?

Would they do anything if it was a Crown Vic?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X