Hospital Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Indeed, you will hurt yourself or someone will hurt you with your cuff case in the small of your back.

Can someone tell me what it is with companies having their employees having 3 levels of force like this:

1) Show up
    2) Talk
    3) Kill
    Nathan, I know from first hand knowledge men or women in the police business were seriously injured, spinal cord and kidney damage in one case for a young man, both. They used to recommend you carry a first aid pouch in the small of the back, that didn't last long.
    The military services were pushing uniformity and not safety, something senior officers could admire from afar.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
      If you want to keep your spine intact, that's the absolute worse place to put your handcuff case. Not knowing any better I set up my duty belt the same way my 1st week in the police academy (as I had wore it when I worked armed security), only to have an instructor walk up behind me and push it into my back, not hard either.

He said "If you think that hurts, wait till you either fall on it or roll over it in a fight". Just the little pressure he put on it hurt. Ever since I've worn my cuff case in front of my weapon so I don't ever have to reach behind me for anything. Nothing is on my belt from the 5 o'clock to 7'oclock positions.
      As soon as I saw that picture, I went to hit the submit reply button to tell him the same thing! I knew a guy who carried a full size flashlight in the small of his back, which is even worse than the cuffs. A latex glove holder is about the only thing that can be worn safely or comfortably in the small of your back IMO.

Do they authorize mace or any other "intermediate" weapons? I know that some hospitals don't want mace used in them since it could get in the air vents and cause issues for people that already have breathing issues. I really like the taser for hospital applications, but since you are footing the bill on Louisana wages I am guessing that is out of the question. I would definitely invest in a quality level 3 holster though.
      Last edited by CorpSec; 08-28-2007, 04:36 AM. Reason: Additions

Comment

Rural MN

I work at a rural hospital in Minnesota. We are fairly unique in our situation due to size of the facility and location, that we are staffed with 2 officers 24x7x365, and are employeed directly by the hospital, and not through a contract firm. There are 12 officers and one supervisor/manager.

We are provided full uniforms (silver tan shirts , black ems style pants, jackets, belts, and boots)

Belt is bare save for a radio, issued cell phone / pager for internal communication, gloves, and I carry a Strion as well (3rd shift)

The radio system is on repeater and all officers carry a Motorola HT1250. I handle all of our radio programming. Dispatch is handled internally by the hospital.

We are all PPCT certified, and being a fairly new dept are still working policies through legal (part of a major healthcare name in the US, so the legal dept is a big one) for use of force items.

This year we purchased a 2007 Honday Pilot for a squad, decaled in blue to match the other hospital vehicles.
        Last edited by n0esc; 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Your legal department needs to review Minnesota law. The vehicle's coloration is probably illegal (MN regulates security vehicle colors), and if you are armed with weapons the silver tan shirts may also be illegal. It works for contract or in-house.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I work at a level 1 trauma center also. The hospital I work for gives us everything we need. Right now we carry the X26 taser, but the first of the year we are going armed. Here is a list of eqiument we carry.

Cuffs
            Baton
            Taser
            glove case / With latex Gloves
            Radio holder/ With radio.... The radios need to be updated.
            Key ring / with a ton of keys.... I don't understand why we have so many keys. Because we have 3 master key we use....:-)

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
              Your legal department needs to review Minnesota law. The vehicle's coloration is probably illegal (MN regulates security vehicle colors), and if you are armed with weapons the silver tan shirts may also be illegal. It works for contract or in-house.
              Minnesota law says no brown uniforms, I wonder if "silver tan" falls into that category?

Most security vehicles in Minnesota are in violation because they use white cars.

It would seem that there is little enforcement of this law.
              Last edited by Minneapolis Security; 08-28-2007, 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
              ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Your right on the white vehicle part, aware of that, and local PD is just fine with it as is, due to vehicle type.

As for the shirts, I don't think silver tan falls under that, being as it is closer to a gray than a true tan as worn by most co officers. Unarmed anyways.

I'll trust that a legal department as large as the one that covers our behind has thoroughly researched all possible issues.

Comment

Pardon my french, but it sounds like Minnesota is a bunch of hardasses when it comes to regulations on private security. 9 out of 10 security vehicles here in Texas are white, and there are no regulations on uniform color. We can use the state flag, as pictured here. This company's uniforms even mimic that of Harris County Sheriff's Office. Or, companies can use a plain jane patch, as the one I wore, as seen here.
                  I do security for work; I run into burning buildings for fun

Comment

[QUOTE=WKSecurity;37641]
                    the uniform

Hey WK, looks like you were having the kind of day I was.....

Nothing to see here people, move it along.....lol
                    I do security for work; I run into burning buildings for fun

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                      Do they authorize mace or any other "intermediate" weapons? I know that some hospitals don't want mace used in them since it could get in the air vents and cause issues for people that already have breathing issues. I really like the taser for hospital applications, but since you are footing the bill on Louisana wages I am guessing that is out of the question. I would definitely invest in a quality level 3 holster though.
                      I asked the Director today if we are authorized for Mace and taser use and he replied no...the Hospital attorney shot that request down for the very reason you stated above. As far as the tasers are concerned I don't see why the aren't authorized, I believe it is one of the best ways to control someone who is acting a fool and a threat to someone or himself...since we do have the Behavioral Medicine unit at our hospital. The holster I currently have on my duty belt is the Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 Retention holster. I love this holster.

Link to holster:
                      http://www.blackhawkvideos.com/video...ar/level3.html
                      Last edited by WKSecurity; 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Blade Runner;38073]
                        Originally posted by WKSecurity View Post
                        the uniform

Hey WK, looks like you were having the kind of day I was.....

Nothing to see here people, move it along.....lol
                        Ain't that the truth. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Blade Runner View Post
                          Pardon my french, but it sounds like Minnesota is a bunch of hardasses when it comes to regulations on private security. 9 out of 10 security vehicles here in Texas are white, and there are no regulations on uniform color. We can use the state flag, as pictured here. This company's uniforms even mimic that of Harris County Sheriff's Office. Or, companies can use a plain jane patch, as the one I wore, as seen here.
                          The vehicle thing is really ridiculous, no: white, brown, blue, green, black, or maroon vehicles.

We used to be able to have black, but now the little suburban departments all want to run around in black and whites like they are LAPD or something, so they took black away as well.

I plan on talking to my state Representative about having the vehicle color restriction removed.

The state has no right to restrict vehicle colors. No other industry has to put up with this restrictive, oppressive law.
                          ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

I should also note, I saw an illegal Securitas station wagon in Champlin yesterday. It was white in color.

But let me guess, the police allow it because it is a station wagon?

Would they do anything if it was a Crown Vic?

Comment

My first Security job was working in a hospital. I am completely shocked that some hospitals would have their security carrying lethal weapons.
                              I worked in a level 2 trauma hospital and we were required to carry our keys and gloves.
                              I was one of the few that went overboard by carrying a 2-cell mag with a duty belt.
                              Reason for not carrying any weapons: What if while restraining a patient, they reach for something on your belt and use it to their advantage? I mean I have had MULTIPLE occasions where I have been in VERY close contact with out of control patients. I've been bitten, thrown on the ground, and almost choked (Dont wear a ID badge on your shoulder with a retractable cord)...
                              I cant imagine being close to those people and them being arms reach of a fire arm...
                              Last edited by bigcollins25; 12-24-2007, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
                                I should also note, I saw an illegal Securitas station wagon in Champlin yesterday. It was white in color.

But let me guess, the police allow it because it is a station wagon?

Would they do anything if it was a Crown Vic?
                                Considering Securitas is running with red to the front (authorized for emergency vehicles only), doubtful.
                                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X