Canadians REALLY don't like guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians REALLY don't like guns

School is starting at the end of the month. Last year there was a shooting at Montreal's Dawson College where a student was killed. The police happened by total fluke to be in the building for another call. They found the gunman, shot & wounded him. He committed suicide. Other students were also shot.

Yesterday the school announced that it had beefed up it's security. They have added cameras. They have put deadbolt locks on the classroom doors so they can be locked from the inside. They have improved the pa system & they have added repeaters so that cell phones work better.(The cell phone system crashed during the incident when it got overloaded by people calling 9-1-1). They had & still have a purely O&R security service, No weapons at all. This will not be changing. What I find disturbing is that one of the students that was wounded was quoted in a newspaper saying that they did not want the school turned into an armed camp
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Well, atleast the new camera sytem will take better photos of the active shooter as he is going from room to room floor to floor! At some point, their minds will change. Often times, someone has to be injured or killed before policies change! Hopefully not in this case though......

Be safe,

Hank
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I dont think they understand most shooters in schools dont intend to get away. Cameras can easily promote their killings as much as they would deter them.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
        I dont think they understand most shooters in schools dont intend to get away. Cameras can easily promote their killings as much as they would deter them.
        Cameras and media tend to create "copy cats"! Shooters never come out alive, either by killing themselves or a SWAT member usually ends the incident...In otherwords....a person with a gun!!!! HINT! HINT!

Be Safe,

Hank
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I truely love Canada. But this is the reason I will never live there again.
          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
            I truely love Canada. But this is the reason I will never live there again.
            DITTO, although I can't say it's the only reason. There's also the little problem of their immigration policies. As bad as our own policies might be, there are even worse ones, and Canada has 'em in spades.

Nice folks, most Canadians, but to me they're a bit too much like your lovable, loony Uncle George who thinks the world is a big cotton-candy factory, that dogs never bite, and that wee fairies will protect him from boogey-men while he sleeps. Of course, we are the ones who have given them the luxury of entertaining their delusions. In a very real sense, Canada has never had to grow up and live in the real world, thanks to us.

There's one thing that I don't think most Canadians realize. It's a 10-minute walk from Russia to Canada. Had it not been for the US throughout the Cold War, we'd be talking about Torontoskoya, Winnipegski and Ottawaskow right now. Believe it. The only thing that the Soviets probably couldn't have taken would have been Quebec, as there's still some of them little buggers there that know how to fight...and the meaning of the word "liberte".
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-24-2007, 08:15 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Its a cultural thing.

I understand that one university or college has terminated the 100 year old shooting club because the dean of students is virulently anti-gun, and just decided on his own that "the image of the shooting club does not fit the image of our campus currently."

This is a facility that Olympic shooters train at, I am told. One professor said on record that it was silly.

They shoot .22 there, single shot weapons 50 years old or more.

I'm also told that Canadian police may not carry off duty. Which means that unless you are an active duty Canadian military (person) deployed to the campus under Crown orders or a police officer performing official duties, you don't carry there.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                Nice folks, most Canadians, but to me they're a bit too much like your lovable, loony Uncle George who thinks the world is a big cotton-candy factory, that dogs never bite, and that wee fairies will protect him from boogey-men while he sleeps. Of course, we are the ones who have given them the luxury of entertaining their delusions. In a very real sense, Canada has never had to grow up and live in the real world, thanks to us.
                You sir have insulted the relatives of thousands of CANADIAN soldiers that died fighting in World War 2 long before the Americans! I am truely insulted

Comment

Dieppe ....for example.It's not japanese who where slaughtered..The difference is that americans like to talk about their military exploit and show it on the news etc.We canadians fight and die in silence.
                  Ain't war hell?

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                    You sir have insulted the relatives of thousands of CANADIAN soldiers that died fighting in World War 2 long before the Americans! I am truely insulted
                    WW II is long past, sir, and if you'll notice, my post was addressing Canadian behavior in the years since then.

No, sir. It is we Americans who have been insulted, and are regularly insulted, both in your press and your media (calling the US a "global threat", etc.), and by the voting behavior of your diplomats in the United Nations on matters of grave concern to the United States. Save your outrage for your own leadership and the electorate who egg them on. These are not my opinions - I'll be happy to provide references. The term one researcher used to describe Canada's attitude toward the US now is "passive-aggressive", which I think says it beautifully and expresses the dysfunction as well.

I'm sure you're a fine person, and I know from living in Canada that there are many fine Canadians, but there is no question that there are many ways in which Canada can no longer be considered America's "good neighbor". I take no pleasure in saying so, but I am simply saying what most of us already know. We should deal with the problem instead of becoming insulted about it.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by War113 View Post
                      The difference is that americans like to talk about their military exploit and show it on the news etc.We canadians fight and die in silence.
                      Oh, puhleeze.

Comment

WW II is long past, sir, and if you'll notice, my post was addressing Canadian behavior in the years since then.

No, sir. It is we Americans who have been insulted, and are regularly insulted, both in your press and your media (calling the US a "global threat", etc.), and by the voting behavior of your diplomats in the United Nations on matters of grave concern to the United States. Save your outrage for your own leadership and the electorate who egg them on. These are not my opinions - I'll be happy to provide references. The term one researcher used to describe Canada's attitude toward the US now is "passive-aggressive", which I think says it beautifully and expresses the dysfunction as well.

I'm sure you're a fine person, and I know from living in Canada that there are many fine Canadians, but there is no question that there are many ways in which Canada can no longer be considered America's "good neighbor". I take no pleasure in saying so, but I am simply saying what most of us already know. We should deal with the problem instead of becoming insulted about it.
                        You need to inform yourself. When Canada refused to join in the invasion of Iraq there was a Liberal government in place. There is now a Conservative one whose thinking is VERY similar to your present government.

Your post said that Canada did not do anything on it's own we relied on the US to protect us. There was no mention of before or after World War II. I still maintain that you have insulted the memories of the Canadian soldiers that fought in this war, Korea & the present one in Ahganistan as well as our many PEACEKEEPING missions. You owe them an apology.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                          You need to inform yourself. When Canada refused to join in the invasion of Iraq there was a Liberal government in place. There is now a Conservative one whose thinking is VERY similar to your present government.

Your post said that Canada did not do anything on it's own we relied on the US to protect us. There was no mention of before or after World War II. I still maintain that you have insulted the memories of the Canadian soldiers that fought in this war, Korea & the present one in Ahganistan as well as our many PEACEKEEPING missions. You owe them an apology.
                          If you will insist on misreading or extending my remarks, you will have to take responsibility for any insult that you find in your own words, as they are not my words.

And, I do try to keep myself informed. As I said, these are not simply opinions I just dreamed up last night. There is a very real problem here and, again, I would urge you to discuss it rather than finding insult where no objective reading of what I have said would show any to exist.

Getting back to the point, however, I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You yourself excuse Canada's schizophrenic behavior during moments of crisis, when the US needs you to step up to the plate, on the basis of whether there happens to be a Liberal or a Conservative government in power at the time.

I can't see that you've diminished anything that I have said. You've only offered an explanation (and probably a good one) for the very behavior that I commented about. In other words, the US can only count on Canada as a responsible partner when there's a Conservative government in power. Any other time, the deal is off. If I am saying that Canada is undependable as a partner, it seems to me that you've said the very same thing.

Comment

Getting back to the point
                            The POINT of my post was about Canadian additudes towards guns. It became Canadian bashing, how we did not live up to American expectations.

I still think an apology to our military is in order but if you can't, well life goes on, I am not going to loose sleep over it, I've heard your remarks many times in the past, usually by drunk American kids on spring break, mouthing off against Canadians while surrounded by Canadians. This is when one Canadian usually has to intervene to save the butt of an American!

Comment

Canada is a self determining Sovereign Nation, who has contributed it's own citizens as troops in all the major conflicts of the world and continues to do so (as they see fit), just because they live next door doesn't mean they have to agree with everything the US does... nor does the US have to approve of their actions (or inactions), isn't democracy also about tolerance toward others?

There's one thing that I don't think most Canadians realize. It's a 10-minute walk from Russia to Canada. Had it not been for the US throughout the Cold War, we'd be talking about Torontoskoya, Winnipegski and Ottawaskow right now.
                              Surely it take more than ten minutes to cross Alaska? thus it would be fair to say that Canada benefited from the US merely protecting it's own territory?
                              Attached Files
                              "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X