Age cut off ? or limit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age cut off ? or limit ?

So in security most companies want you to be 21 for insurance purpose, however some will hire you at 18, alot of law enforcenment agencies require you to be under 40, when appling, as the see age as a conditioning factor , and most will not hire you if over 40, However if you are on the department you will find that there are probally not any cops over 65, so i ask you should security not hire people that are over 70 ? where as they may be in less phsyical condition and weaker bodies ?
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
    So in security most companies want you to be 21 for insurance purpose, however some will hire you at 18, alot of law enforcenment agencies require you to be under 40, when appling, as the see age as a conditioning factor , and most will not hire you if over 40, However if you are on the department you will find that there are probally not any cops over 65, so i ask you should security not hire people that are over 70 ? where as they may be in less phsyical condition and weaker bodies ?
    There is a big difference between police & security in this case. Most police forces have great pensions that people can take at young ages. (I don't know the exact number of years but I believe it is after 25 years service - meaning a 20 year old recruit can retire at 45). AS FAR AS i KNOW VERY FEW PRIVATE SECURITY GUARDS HAVE PENSIONS.

BTW I had a 75 year old ex Air Force fighter pilot who worked for me. He did the job as well as anyone else. (Had a problem when we switched to computors & could not accept when the no smoking laws came into force)
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I have a retired Air Force Colonel working for me who is 80. He is the best PR man I have come across in a long time. That said, he is the exception to the rule, and I believe you make a valid point. In 1960 for example I feel that age was most likely not a factor. However, in the post 9/11 world, my personal opinion is that we are inviting disaster by employing over 60, over 70 and older LINE officers. PLEASE understand I am in no way diminishing the value of the experience these men and women have gained throughout their lives! Many are excellent sources of knowledge and often think "outside the box" by today’s standards. In positions such as dispatch, admin, etc, they are needed!! HOWEVER, we are putting them in grave danger by virtue of their inability to defend against (or even flee from) the potential dangers of the current world when we put them in the field.
      If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
      George S. Patton

www.fedtia.com

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
        Mont. Co., Maryland Police, has a Lt. that's still on the job since beginning his career in 1955, yes 1955 and STILL kickin' arse. His current assignment is deputy district commander overseeing patrol operations.
        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
          Mont. Co., Maryland Police, has a Lt. that's still on the job since beginning his career in 1955, yes 1955 and STILL kickin' arse. His current assignment is deputy district commander overseeing patrol operations.
          BadBoynMD he was interviewed on Channel 7, WJLA. During that same segment they interviewed one of his recent arrestees who stated that old man put me on the ground so hard and told me to stay put while he cuffed me. His reply was, "Yes sir, I ain't moving."
          He shot a machete out of the hands of a reputed MS-13 member. When a younger officer asked him how he did it he replied, "Practice lad, practice."
          When they come to the annual fitness test his younger officers state he can outrun them all.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

I'll make this simple.

Discrimination against employees based on age, sex, religion, veteran status, origin, or race is illegal - a violation of a person's civil rights.

There can be no cut off period based on age.

There can be a minimum skill set for the job, and if someone cannot complete those skills without reasonable accomodation, then they are unfit for the task and a more suitable applicant can be hired.

So long as you can perform your assigned tasks with reasonable accomodation, you can work to be 100.

The moment you cannot, be you 20 or 80, you need placed in a job description that has tasks you can perform, or terminated.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
              BadBoynMD he was interviewed on Channel 7, WJLA. During that same segment they interviewed one of his recent arrestees who stated that old man put me on the ground so hard and told me to stay put while he cuffed me. His reply was, "Yes sir, I ain't moving."
              He shot a machete out of the hands of a reputed MS-13 member. When a younger officer asked him how he did it he replied, "Practice lad, practice."
              When they come to the annual fitness test his younger officers state he can outrun them all.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill
              Bill, I for one, wouldn't want to piss off the good Lieutenant. I can only imagine the practical jokes on his birthday.
              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

1955!? That's 1 year before I was born!!!
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

If the older person can physically work a administrative office position or Operations center with duties and responsibilities like answering phones, give out dispatch calls for service or or other data entry positions, why not?

Be safe,

Hank
                  " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                    1955!? That's 1 year before I was born!!!
                    July 1, 1955 was the day he was sworn in.

Comment

July 1, 1955 was the day he was sworn in.
                      HotelSecurity should not feel that bad. I graduated from high school in June of that year. July 1, 1955, you had to be 21-years old to be sworn in. Doing the math, I'm impressed.
                      I forgot this in my earlier post, his average score when qualifying for the past 30-years is 295 out of 300. That is more impressive. If I ever shoot better than my present 275, my heart would stop. He is a cop's cop.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                        HotelSecurity should not feel that bad. I graduated from high school in June of that year. July 1, 1955, you had to be 21-years old to be sworn in. Doing the math, I'm impressed.
                        I forgot this in my earlier post, his average score when qualifying for the past 30-years is 295 out of 300. That is more impressive. If I ever shoot better than my present 275, my heart would stop. He is a cop's cop.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill
                        That it is.. Lt. Jacocks will most likely die before he retires. He doesn't just sit behind a desk either, he's pretty active in the field as well. I am, now wondering if theres ever been a cop to serve as long as the good Lt. 52 years and going is just impressive.

My current score is 288 out of 300 - 93%. A friend of mine that just qualified on the range, as his department just went to .40 cal Glocks, shot a 99%.

Comment

My hat is off to the LT. That is impressive.
                          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Being a observe and report type assignment we can have anyone with a pulse. Heck, my supervisor has stated that a pulse isn't really a requirement as long as you can stay above room temperature during your shift.
                            We have a 75yo officer who refuses to work anything but nights and patrols on a schedule more percise than a swiss clock. At 7pm he's in the van going on patrol until 8. At exactily 10pm he's out again and back exactily 11. Again at 1 and 4am. Come 6am he's headed for his car and going home. Either his releif is there or the other SO is gonna be working alone. I'm serious. It's happened a couple of times. I've worked a shift where his relief had car problems and called to say he was running late. At 6 am he was in his car heading home. My relief was a couple of minutes late, got there about 6:05 and asked where he was. "Gone, you're alone until the other day guy gets here." I didn't leave but stayed for about 30 minutes until the other day guy showed up to work. Don't ask why they didn't fire him. Our company is so desperate for employees that just shrugged it off.
                            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                              Our company is so desperate for employees that just shrugged it off.
                              This is the case more often than not. I love the "room temperature" rule!
                              Of course the obvious problem here is that since you can set your watch by his locations, anyone with criminal intent can do the same. Officers who follow strict schedules are easy targets!
                              If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
                              George S. Patton

www.fedtia.com

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X