Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with incompetent co-workers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    Well said ValleyOne.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Well it takes all sorts to make the world go round... please believe me when I tell you hyperactive (paranoid) nut-jobs aren't only specific to this industry

IHMO it's best to send these individuals off on 'specific tasks' and keep them outta' your hair (whilst you get the job done) as suggest previously

This site sounds a little like a 'jobs-for-the-boys' scenario, as hiring his mates to work the graveyard shift is turning the Supervisor into a welfare worker when his primary concern should be Operational Standards, Efficiency & Work Place Safety

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    It is difficult to admit that some persons with a diminished mental capacity actually do well in certain security settings, not all, or even most. As mentioned above those job sites that involve detailed mundane tasks, with minimal distractions, or risk to confrontations are typically best for these people.

Mills, factories, other large posts of similar Fire Watch activities, suit these folks just well. They also help the company turn a profit, with little to low turnover rates.

They truely look forward to a day, or night, of every hour on the hour walking the Detex Tour. They serve a capacity that most younger, higher speed individuals would only get bored, and undoubtedly veer from the bounds of company SOP, or what not. You all know what I mean, get stuck filling in on a post that is low speed, and BORING as all heck... Idle hands and all.

I feel it would be irresponsible of a company, or manager, to allow these types of employees to serve in high speed posts, or duties (patrol). Where they excel in Fire Watch, they do not and are out of their element in other areas. To place them in other scenarios, would be a recipe for disaster.

But that's just me...

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307
    replied
    I do believe that there are certian areas of our proffession that can tolerate these people. Case in point, a few years back I worked at a factory and one of our midnight guards was somewhat mentaly handicapped. This guy was the guy to rely on for those mudane tasks such as fire watch patrols because he was very meticulas in his work. No, I would not want him working at a mall or college campus, but these guys have a nitch in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    I work with a guy who loves to sit on his rear end. You tell him to do something and his reply is something like, "ok sir, right after I do (insert activity here)". Total waste.

Its hard to get terminated from my company or to have someone terminated. You could have a stack of write-ups but you need to have 3 identical ones to be canned, last time it was explained to me.

Leave a comment:

• Fedtia
    replied
    Well said DDOG!!

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Face it guys, most places would rather have underpaid guards two steps from death so they 'DON'T' notice the company shenanigans going on behind the scenes. When you point out Safety, Maintenance, or Profitable Asset improvement suggestions in your notes, it indicates someone is not doing their job or at least not as well as they could be doing it.

And these people are usually your main company chain of command interfaces. So 'just' observing and noting gets very complex; and makes its easier to understand why people over 70 can keep a job for 10 or more years up to their death. Older really is wiser in this complex organizational behavior industry. Because the 'rules' change with every person telling them to you, and NO ONE up to the top will document or stand behind what they say.

And with many other 3rd party vendors working with a company, these issues are even more complex with constant misinformation, objectives, and interfaces. So far in my brief tenure, high aspirations of achievement does not seem to be appreciated by 'anyone' in the organization. In fact, they seem to be more comfortable if you do something perceived wrong, which is human nature to be more comfortable looking down on someone.

Just another tricky day, but its an extremely complicated behavioral interface job, AND to do it competently at the same time. The customer interface are the easy part unlike most other industries. Employees working on the same shift and management want to distance themselves as far from you as possible with the minimum exchange of information preferred.

So the perceived 'incompetent' workers may have realized something that most cannot appreciate without further experience.

Leave a comment:

• Blade Runner
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
    It frustrates the dog because he cannot get his "human" partner to heel properly.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Dammit Bill, I just spewed Dr. Pepper everywhere!! lmao

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    well...

There are two ways I'll handle them:

1. If they are a danger to me or the client, I force transfer of one of us. Preferably the moron.

2. I occupy them with menial tasks to keep them out of my hair. I had a guard one day ask me if it was ok for him to sit in his car watching movies for the shift. I let him, I continued my rounds like he wasn't there.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    To prevent unwanted people from entering the office area of the hotel the application forms are kept outside the security office. Day after day I see people coming in asking if we have any jobs. When asked what skills they have they say: none. They ask if we have openings as Housemen (Janitors). Dishwashers & Security.

Leave a comment:

• WhoDunnit?
    replied
    Wow, it is nice to know I am not the only one with these moron's working. I am fairly new to the whole gig, and these other guys have been doing it their entire life, yet I and my one competent partner are the ones called on for most assignments. That always makes my day because I get to hear how it must be a crap detail, or they must be trying to train us to be real guards because there could be no other reason "Super Guard" would be forced to stay at the comm center and mindlessly babble on the radio.

Thanks everyone for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Fedtia- The truly sad part is, the wages here are awesome, but the place doesn't advertise jobs so we end up with all of the supervisors buddies working.

I guess I will just start keeping track of all the dumb*** stuff they do and putting it on here for all to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Were it not so tragic, it is hilarious to watch some of these maladroits at work. Supervise two or three on the shooting range and one will invariably shoot at another's target. Excellent grouping, only one tweeny problem, wrong target.
    Field problems can be a challenge for some. "We will all meet at the supervisor's vehicle, the one that will have the flashing red light on the roof." Simple, right? Not so fast though, one man always seems to wind up standing next to the umpire's vehicle that does not have a light of any color on the roof let alone flashing. Well you can get rid of them, right? In a pig's eye, somebody will always be there to defend this person and you are advised to "take them under your wing." Somebody's life may hang in the balance is this craft if stupid mistakes are made.
    Never assign one of these folks to a dog patrol. It frustrates the dog because he cannot get his "human" partner to heel properly.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Fedtia
    replied
    I have to agree with Hank. I have been in this industry since 1985. I have worked with, worked for and (sadly, with no other choice) employed some truly incompetent individuals in my career. This industry, as someone said, tends to attract this sort of person. Very sad, but very true. The industry wide practice of low-balling contracts has always made the paying of appropriate wages impossible. With razor thin profit margins and clients who are unwilling to invest the appropriate amount of money in the protection of their property and personnel, this trend seems destined to continue. In your case, safety must take priority here. If your environment lends itself to you finding your butt in a “jack pot” at 0200 hrs and you have no back-up, no amount of money will compensate for that. Going elsewhere will not mean you will never encounter officers who should have NEVER been employed in this field. But you may be able to at least reduce your personal liability by finding a position in which the quality officers outnumber the Barney Fife’s! Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• locknid
    replied
    every security company will have the idiot special ed's who can't do anything and you are surprised that they made it this far in life. That will never change because of the simple fact that in a lot of states there is no check on mental state when getting hired, or even to get a state license if that is needed. For the most part the only thing that matters is if the person has criminal charges or not. Also many security companies will have those contracts where there is not much human contact, even a monkey can do them.

Even though the company I work for is professional they need bodies to fill contracts and sometimes those bodies don't need to be functioning at full capacity. I have had the privilage of working with some and I can tell you I am not even proactive with them because I know that if something goes down I can't depend on him as back-up. I just keep to myself and let them talk, because crazies will talk all night long. like another said, smile and nod.

You will find it everywhere so don't quit because of it.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    If the pay is good then stick with it, but still keep an eye open for other oportunities. Always a good idea no matter what your situation.

It could be worse. One of them could be your supervisor.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X