X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mistressofthelocks View Post
    I work for Allied Barton, and i am not all that impressed with them. The previous company Initial Security was bought out by Allied last year. I'm hoping things get better soon...
    Trust me----they won't......

Leave a comment:

• Mistressofthelocks
    replied
    Allied Barton

I work for Allied Barton, and i am not all that impressed with them. The previous company Initial Security was bought out by Allied last year. I'm hoping things get better soon...

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Here's a little challenge or game you can play with yourself when doing these jobs: See if you can find something related to security to report, or some bit of security-related information to pass on to other officers, on completing every "unrelated" task.
    Most fortunately, I left such employment long ago.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Hank,

Have you watched any of the COPS that have been in Hillsborough County? Interesting shows! Especially the one with the tranny named Pochahontus. Ever run into any of the deputies featured there?

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    If you are perfectly happy working for Alllied~Barton, go for it! If you have good people around you. And you are working a great shift on a decent post, enjoy! My opinion is based on the few officers I have met and interacted with.

Be safe,

Hank

"We make a living by what we do, We make a life by what we give." Major Albert Perotti, Jr. District I Office, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, Retired

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    I have never been particularly impressed with Allied and I think there are better choices out there. But, like I have said before it is often a matter of the site you are assigned to and not the company that you work for.

Your major companies are all going to try to undercut each other and try to provide as many value added services to the client as possible to boost their bottom line.

I do not have a problem with officers doing extra tasks such as delivering newpapers, opening blinds, passing out paychecks, etc. as long as full disclosure exists. Meaning that the officer is made fully aware that s/he will be doing non security functions as part of their job. If the officer knows what they are getting into, I think it is fine. The problem is the officer that thought they were hired to be security and they end up starting the coffee in the morning and driving the company shuttle.

At my in-house job, I don't mind adding various tasks in support of other department to our duties. It only makes us more valuable in the eyes of the company and makes perfect business sense. I draw the line at anything that would take away from the overall security program though.
    This is the important part.

"What do I do?"
    Manager: "You just guard the place. Walk around once every hour. Its fully alarmed, don't trip it."
    Guy you're Relieving:
    "At midnight, you need to move 16 cars from one end of the lot to another. Here are the keys. Be careful, they're all really expensive cars and all repos."
    "At 2 AM, turn off all the alarms and go through every building. Look for the thermometers, and see if they're above 80. If they are, call maintenance. Turn the alarms on."
    "At 5 AM, move all the cars back to the front of the building."
    "At 5:30, start the coffee, use two scoops of coffee in the machine."
    "At 6, unlock all the doors and turn all the alarms off."

You: "Ok, can you show me where some of this stuff is?"
    Guy: "Its easy to find, and my shift is done. Later!"

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    I do not have a problem with officers doing extra tasks such as delivering newpapers, opening blinds, passing out paychecks, etc. as long as full disclosure exists. Meaning that the officer is made fully aware that s/he will be doing non security functions as part of their job. If the officer knows what they are getting into, I think it is fine. The problem is the officer that thought they were hired to be security and they end up starting the coffee in the morning and driving the company shuttle.

At my in-house job, I don't mind adding various tasks in support of other department to our duties. It only makes us more valuable in the eyes of the company and makes perfect business sense. I draw the line at anything that would take away from the overall security program though.
    I've mentioned before that lots of jobs these days have "non-related" duties being required as companies (not just security) try to squeeze "full value" out of every employee. So, the Xeroxing clerk position is eliminated and the executive secretary (or "administrative assistant") now gets to do the copying too. She wasn't hired to do lowly tasks like running the copy machine! This happens all the time, in every industry, and in many jobs.

I've also suggested that you can find a way to turn *every* task into a security task in some way. Gotta mop up a Pepsi spill? Make this your opportunity to survey the janitor's closet for hidden contraband. Gotta deliver the mail? Make contacts with employees you otherwise would never talk to, and make the delivery process the equivalent of a "patrol". Be alert for people who you stumble across who are out of their assigned areas, or scurry away when you approach. Gotta open all the blinds in the place? Well, check the window security while you're doing that, and inspect those magnetic switches, etc. You never stop being a security officer merely because the thing you happen to be doing at the moment doesn't "look" like a security job, or because it seems menial and "insignificant". Be watchful and alert - from a security standpoint - no matter what you're doing or where you are. And welcome those "stupid" jobs that take you into places you otherwise wouldn't go, or bring you into contact with people you otherwise wouldn't have much reason to speak to.

Here's a little challenge or game you can play with yourself when doing these jobs: See if you can find something related to security to report, or some bit of security-related information to pass on to other officers, on completing every "unrelated" task.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    I have never been particularly impressed with Allied and I think there are better choices out there. But, like I have said before it is often a matter of the site you are assigned to and not the company that you work for.

Your major companies are all going to try to undercut each other and try to provide as many value added services to the client as possible to boost their bottom line.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Mike View Post
    Really though I was under the impression that Allied Barton was the best security company in America...Who do you all rank as better ?
    Hey, if the job suits you just fine, then don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

However, I didn't feel that the company cared about me as an employee nor did they treat me very well. In addition, I didn't (and still don't) feel that the company is particularly interested or suited towards providing any type of security beyond someone to sign logs or call 911 in an emergency. I'm sure there are exceptions, perhaps now that the company finally converted and has started employing armed security officers, but the company is still heavily geared towards warm body "observe and report" type security.

Best security company in America? Well, there are thousands of companies out there... I could probably do some research and name hundreds that I would rather work for.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    I worked for Barton in '95-96 for 14 months. I wore a soft uniform in a high Rise Building, basically fire watch type stuff. It wasn't that bad for a guy in school (when I started I was finishing college, when I left I was in the police academy), but my buddy was a supervisor with Stanley Smith Security (which got bought out by Initial) and helped me get on at a warehouse a half mile from my home, so i left Barton.

Only knew on guy who worked for them fairly recently, he worked on a government contract site (AAFES) here in Dallas and he had NOTHING good to say about Allied Barton....

Leave a comment:

• dsoul27
    replied
    I applied for them along time ago and never got a phone call. I heard that this is common with this company. I thought that this was unprofessional, they claim they need allot of people but aren't calling anyone. I emailed recruiters and didn't get anything in return. I could see if I was under qualified but I got 8 years in the military doing security as well as my guard card and permits. oh well.

I don't know much about the company but based on my experience with them, I wouldn't want to work there.

Leave a comment:

• Security Mike
    replied
    Really though I was under the impression that Allied Barton was the best security company in America...Who do you all rank as better ?
    Last edited by Security Mike; 01-15-2008, 02:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    In the client's eyes, you're not doing anything useful. Therefore, they have things that you can do that ARE useful.
    Ergo client education...

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Blade Runner View Post
    I just sucked in due to a corporate buyout of Initial Security. Honostly, I'm not that impressed. Their hiring "standards" are practically nonexistant, as they seem to randomly hire any schmuck who can breathe autonomously. Training? Nil. Pay? HA! They put Commissioned officers at noncom posts, leave you hanging in the wind if your relief does not show, and do not push the clients for more strict security measures. I.E.---There was a bomb threat at my post recently, so they put two additional "officers", actually warm bodies with not the slightest clue of security work, out at my post with me. I'm Commissioned (licensed for armed work), and yet they didn't want an armed presence at the site. The site, what is it you ask? An oilwell manufacturing plant with a squat-load of copper stored in the back, where there is little light.
    Initial is warm body security. They are in the business of buying small companies to augment their portfolio. Keep in mind, if your firm is bought out by a large multi-national or national firm, you should really examine what services you were providing in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    I see help wanted ads in the local fish wraps for security officer/valet'/janitor all the time. Anything and everything to pull you away from the security effort. I shake my head is dis-belief and disgust....

Be safe,

Hank
    In the client's eyes, you're not doing anything useful. Therefore, they have things that you can do that ARE useful.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X