Anybody work for Allied Barton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    I do not have a problem with officers doing extra tasks such as delivering newpapers, opening blinds, passing out paychecks, etc. as long as full disclosure exists. Meaning that the officer is made fully aware that s/he will be doing non security functions as part of their job. If the officer knows what they are getting into, I think it is fine. The problem is the officer that thought they were hired to be security and they end up starting the coffee in the morning and driving the company shuttle.

At my in-house job, I don't mind adding various tasks in support of other department to our duties. It only makes us more valuable in the eyes of the company and makes perfect business sense. I draw the line at anything that would take away from the overall security program though.
    I've mentioned before that lots of jobs these days have "non-related" duties being required as companies (not just security) try to squeeze "full value" out of every employee. So, the Xeroxing clerk position is eliminated and the executive secretary (or "administrative assistant") now gets to do the copying too. She wasn't hired to do lowly tasks like running the copy machine! This happens all the time, in every industry, and in many jobs.

I've also suggested that you can find a way to turn *every* task into a security task in some way. Gotta mop up a Pepsi spill? Make this your opportunity to survey the janitor's closet for hidden contraband. Gotta deliver the mail? Make contacts with employees you otherwise would never talk to, and make the delivery process the equivalent of a "patrol". Be alert for people who you stumble across who are out of their assigned areas, or scurry away when you approach. Gotta open all the blinds in the place? Well, check the window security while you're doing that, and inspect those magnetic switches, etc. You never stop being a security officer merely because the thing you happen to be doing at the moment doesn't "look" like a security job, or because it seems menial and "insignificant". Be watchful and alert - from a security standpoint - no matter what you're doing or where you are. And welcome those "stupid" jobs that take you into places you otherwise wouldn't go, or bring you into contact with people you otherwise wouldn't have much reason to speak to.

Here's a little challenge or game you can play with yourself when doing these jobs: See if you can find something related to security to report, or some bit of security-related information to pass on to other officers, on completing every "unrelated" task.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
      I have never been particularly impressed with Allied and I think there are better choices out there. But, like I have said before it is often a matter of the site you are assigned to and not the company that you work for.

Your major companies are all going to try to undercut each other and try to provide as many value added services to the client as possible to boost their bottom line.

I do not have a problem with officers doing extra tasks such as delivering newpapers, opening blinds, passing out paychecks, etc. as long as full disclosure exists. Meaning that the officer is made fully aware that s/he will be doing non security functions as part of their job. If the officer knows what they are getting into, I think it is fine. The problem is the officer that thought they were hired to be security and they end up starting the coffee in the morning and driving the company shuttle.

At my in-house job, I don't mind adding various tasks in support of other department to our duties. It only makes us more valuable in the eyes of the company and makes perfect business sense. I draw the line at anything that would take away from the overall security program though.
      This is the important part.

"What do I do?"
      Manager: "You just guard the place. Walk around once every hour. Its fully alarmed, don't trip it."
      Guy you're Relieving:
      "At midnight, you need to move 16 cars from one end of the lot to another. Here are the keys. Be careful, they're all really expensive cars and all repos."
      "At 2 AM, turn off all the alarms and go through every building. Look for the thermometers, and see if they're above 80. If they are, call maintenance. Turn the alarms on."
      "At 5 AM, move all the cars back to the front of the building."
      "At 5:30, start the coffee, use two scoops of coffee in the machine."
      "At 6, unlock all the doors and turn all the alarms off."

You: "Ok, can you show me where some of this stuff is?"
      Guy: "Its easy to find, and my shift is done. Later!"
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If you are perfectly happy working for Alllied~Barton, go for it! If you have good people around you. And you are working a great shift on a decent post, enjoy! My opinion is based on the few officers I have met and interacted with.

Be safe,

Hank

"We make a living by what we do, We make a life by what we give." Major Albert Perotti, Jr. District I Office, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, Retired
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Hank,

Have you watched any of the COPS that have been in Hillsborough County? Interesting shows! Especially the one with the tranny named Pochahontus. Ever run into any of the deputies featured there?

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            Here's a little challenge or game you can play with yourself when doing these jobs: See if you can find something related to security to report, or some bit of security-related information to pass on to other officers, on completing every "unrelated" task.
            Most fortunately, I left such employment long ago.

Comment

Allied Barton

I work for Allied Barton, and i am not all that impressed with them. The previous company Initial Security was bought out by Allied last year. I'm hoping things get better soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Mistressofthelocks View Post
                I work for Allied Barton, and i am not all that impressed with them. The previous company Initial Security was bought out by Allied last year. I'm hoping things get better soon...
                Trust me----they won't......
                I do security for work; I run into burning buildings for fun

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X