Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home security

Here is a simple question:

As a security professional, what kind of security procedures do you implement on your own property while off duty?

I was thinking about this after my next door neighbor told me that he'd been burglarized. I spend hours a day as an important part of a complex and well planned security system working at a facility I have no real personal stake in. Then I come home and do next to nothing to take care of my home and family.

My neighbor told me he doesn't lock his doors and someone came in and took his booze and stereo, leaving the more expensive computer equipment and etc behind. I didn't know what to make of this so I did a quick search of my house because I don't lock my doors either but everything was here. I freaked when I couldn't find my gun but then I found it under a pile of clothes.

Mainly I want to know if y'all do anything special to keep intruders away. I am starting by making sure all my doors lock good.

The thief normally is looking for a quick in and out, wants to go undetected etc. Maybe kids are looking for something different.

Motion lights, good deadbolts, window locks, keep items of value away from windows, make the house look lived in with timer lights are some things on my list. One thing that I see often is how people with (attached) garages leave the overhead door open all day while at work. Nice welcome that is.

As I think of join or start a neighbourhood watch, seems to me this has been discussed before, somewhere here, may be more insight for you there.

You should market that pile of laundry, could be the next big hiding place
    Last edited by Eric; 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

IF you dont know where your gun is at all times that is bad.... i always know where my gun is, and when not in holster or in use it is in a gun case with a gun lock on
      Its not how we die that counts.....
      Its not how we lived that counts....
      all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

With regard to my nieghbors, I am never asked anything by them....that is until they ask if I heard or saw anything suspicious/odd last night. Or, any legal advice I can give them about a speeding ticket, loud noises, ect., ect., ect. Otherwise, I do not wish to interact with my nieghbors. I sleep during the day......
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

His name is Taz!
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

i want a sign on my property that says "Premises protected by Ruger 3 days a week. You guess which 3..."
            “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
            "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
              With regard to my nieghbors, I am never asked anything by them....that is until they ask if I heard or saw anything suspicious/odd last night. Or, any legal advice I can give them about a speeding ticket, loud noises, ect., ect., ect. Otherwise, I do not wish to interact with my nieghbors. I sleep during the day......

Unless you are an attorney, I wouldn't give legal advice to anyone about anything. In most places it is a crime.
              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                Unless you are an attorney, I wouldn't give legal advice to anyone about anything. In most places it is a crime.
                Have you seen the legal rates? That, is a crime.
                Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                  His name is Taz!
                  Huh... you're gonna' have to explain that one

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce
                  IF you dont know where your gun is at all times that is bad.... i always know where my gun is, and when not in holster or in use it is in a gun case with a gun lock on
                  Originally posted by HospitalPatrol
                  I don't lock my doors either
                  I second this, if not on your person (for work) isn't it supposed to be secured safely (especially considering you don't lock your doors)?
                  "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                    Huh... you're gonna' have to explain that one
                    http://www.europuppyusa.com/images/d...n_shepherd.jpg

Comment

I do my best to watch out for my neighbors. Those who have provided email addresses I send them my security guide with emphasis on residential and well as personal security. If they have any concerns about suspicious vehicles or strange behavior by the occupants I've urged them to call 911 immediately and let the 911 operator talk them through their observations. When they go on vacation, their homes are visited several times a day and I keep a log of the times and what I've observed. I never set a pattern. I leave special markers on doors and windows which are marked on a sketch so I don't forget; some obvious and some hard to see and the integrity of the marker is checked on each pass.
                      I did that for military and civilian employees as well as judges, marshals and their employees when assigned to any security branch of whatever agency assigned.
                      We all must help and be the eyes and ears of our communities and maintain a healthy liaison with local law enforcement.
                      Many an article posted on this site goes to the local police and sheriff as expeditiously as possible.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Nice looking security system there HotelSecurity!
                        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I learnt the hard way. We now have cctv, remote roller door,locks on all gates,spot lights, bars along the side of the garage (previously u shaped 5ft brick wall). I take my mobile to keep beside the bed incase I need to ring the police quick. Im more relaxed at work than I am at home.

Comment

Two dogs, alarm, motion lights, doors are always locked.

Comment

I;m also a member of a citizen's crime porevention organization

www.actionsurveillanceverdun.org

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X