Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever been mistaken for a police officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever been mistaken for a police officer?

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever been mistaken for a police officer while in uniform. I get addressed as "Officer" at least ten times a day even though my hat, badge, and the back of my bulletproof vest all have the word "Security" emblazoned across them. All this makes me wonder if people really just don't pay attention to what's going on around them or just don't care.

all the time, i have to explain i am security, and they say oh i thought you were a cop
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

All the time. The way I look at it is, if they address me as "officer" then it's not an issue since my title/rank is "Security Officer/EMT". It's when they actually use the word "Police" such as "How long have you been a Police Officer?" that I bother to say anything to correct them.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Just by children. And maybe some immigrants.

Comment

yes, all the time especially Kenneth city PD ( nathan knows why im frowning) and the police in the beach communities.our uniforms are almost identical.
          Last edited by bigdog; 08-03-2007, 07:21 PM.
          "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Kenneth City is mistaking you, or people think you work for Kenneth City? One is stupidity, the other is a personal problem.

Officer, by itself, is not "being mistaken for the police." Some people realize that guards are called "security officers," and some want to be nice. Others don't care to know the difference between an "officer" and a "guard."

A great example is the Associated Press. When a guard does good, he is an "Officer." When an officer does bad, he is a "guard." Or a "watchman."
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

When I wear my black BMW (motorcycle) Police baseball cap through drive-in windows at fast foods, the little girls always start to get my money and then pull back, "oh, are you off duty police?".

I just grin, and say, "No mam". So if you guys want a free lunch real bad, lol, ...
              Last edited by ddog; 08-03-2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

people think I work for KCPD , Also a deputy sheriff thought i was a redington shores officer on a call to a resort i was assigned to. one guy in the crowd asked who i was an before i could answer the pd officer said hes a redington shores police officer. The resort was right on the line. I quickly corrected him and said no, im security for the resort.
                "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by ddog View Post
                  When I wear my black BMW (motorcycle) Police baseball cap through drive-in windows at fast foods, the little girls always start to get my money and then pull back, "oh, are you off duty police?".

I just grin, and say, "No mam". So if you guys want a free lunch real bad, lol, ...
                  Police and Fast Food don't mix.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
                    Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever been mistaken for a police officer while in uniform. I get addressed as "Officer" at least ten times a day even though my hat, badge, and the back of my bulletproof vest all have the word "Security" emblazoned across them. All this makes me wonder if people really just don't pay attention to what's going on around them or just don't care.
                    Are you not a officer? A security / protection officer? I respond to officer every time because I am

Be safe,

Hank
                    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

yea

Our uniforms get mistaken for Texas State Troopers all the time. If people ask if we are police, we don't answer either way really. I will usually say something like "do I look like a cop?" and leave it at that. The more they think we are cops, the less trouble we have to deal with.

Comment

When a guard does good, he is an "Officer." When an officer does bad, he is a "guard." Or a "watchman."[/QUOTE]

So, so true......
                        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I worked at a place on the Minneapolis/St. Paul border that dressed us just like the Minneapolis cops so we would get mistaken for them a lot, even by the cops from St. Paul.

At the time I didn't mind it and wouldn't correct people for the most part. If asked I would never claim to be the police. But, if people said things like why aren't you out chasing murderers and rapists I would never clue them in.

Minneapolis Police really had reputation for being very heavy handed in their enforcement. So, it didn't bother me when the group of thugs I was talking to would be addressing me with yes sir and no sir while shaking in their shoes.

My opinion has since changed a bit though. Now, I don't really think it is a great idea to be confused with the locals.

Comment

Mostly buy tourists and "undocumented workers" . We are sometimes mistaken for FDOT, State Troopers or Customs.
                            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                              Are you not a officer? A security / protection officer? I respond to officer every time because I am

Be safe,

Hank
                              Yes, I am an officer. But trust me when I tell you, whenever someone addresses me as "Officer" it means Police. Nobody around here ever addresses security officers as "Officer". Usually the term used to address a security officer is security. Trust me, I know

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X