Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligence and Safety Bulletin

Folks!
    I recieved this intellgence and I wanted to pass this along. I'm sure some have heard of this drug before. But this is for those who do not! I have never heard of this before myself.

Be safe,

Hank

Drugs and Chemicals of Concern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SALVIA DIVINORUM AND SALVINORIN A

(Street Names: Maria Pastora, Salvia)

January 2007
    DEA/OD/ODE

Introduction:

Salvia divinorum is a perennial herb in the mint family native to certain areas of the Sierra Mazateca region of Oaxaca, Mexico. The plant grows in large groupings to over three feet in height. Characteristics of the plant include large green leaves, hollow square stems and white flowers with purple calyces. Salvia divinorum is one of several plants that have been employed by the Mazatec Indians for ritual divination and healing. In recent years the active ingredient of Salvia divinorum has been identified as salvinorin A.

There has been interest among young adults and adolescents to discover ethnobotanical plants that can induce hallucinations, changes in perception, and other psychological effects. Since neither Salvia divinorum, or any of its constituents, are listed in the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA), a variety of Internet sites have appeared advertising Salvia divinorum as a legal alternative to plant hallucinogens such as mescaline. Seeds, fresh and dried leaves, plant cuttings, whole plants, and various extracts are purported to be sold over the Internet.

Licit Uses:

Neither Salvia divinorum or active constituent Salvinorin A, has an approved medical use in the United States.

Chemistry and Pharmacology:

Salvinorin A, also called Divinorin A, is believed to be the ingredient responsible for the psychoactive effects of Salvia divinorum. Chemically it is a neoclerodane diterpene found in the leaves, and to a lesser extent in the stems. Other substances have been isolated from the plant, but with the possible exception of salvinorin C, none have been shown to be psychoactive.

In the United States, plant material is either chewed or smoked. When chewed, leaf mass and juice are maintained within the cheek area with absorption occurring across the lining of the oral mucosa (buccal). Effects first appear within 5 to 10 minutes. Dried leaves, as well as extracts purported to be enriched with salvinorin A, are smoked. Smoking pure salvinorin A, at a dose of 200-500 micrograms, results in effects within 30 seconds and lasts about 30 minutes.

A limited number of studies have reported the effects of using either plant material or salvinorin A. Psychic effects include perceptions of bright lights, vivid colors and shapes, as well as body movements and body or object distortions. Other effects include dysphoria, uncontrolled laughter, a sense of loss of body, overlapping realities and hallucinations (seeing objects that are not present). Adverse physical effects may include incoordination, dizziness and slurred speech.

Recent studies using tissue testing (in vitro) assays and functional assays show that salvinorin A acts as a potent agonist on the kappa opioid receptor. This may explain the psychoactive effects of Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A since other drugs acting at kappa opioid receptors have been found to cause dysphoria, illusions, and hallucinations.

Illicit Uses:

Salvia divinorum is chewed or smoked to induce illusions and hallucinations, the diversity of which is described by users as similar to those induced by ketamine, mescaline, or psilocybin.

User Population:

Information on the user population is limited. It appears to be mostly younger adults and adolescents influenced by promotions of the drug on Internet sites.

Illicit Distribution:

Salvia divinorum is grown domestically and imported from Mexico and Central and South America. The Internet is an important venue for the promotion and distribution of Salvia divinorum. It is sold as seeds, fresh or dried leaves, plant cuttings, whole plants, and extracts purported to contain salvinorin A.

Control Status:

Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A are not currently controlled under the CSA. However, a number of states have placed controls on Salvia divinorum and/or salvinorin A. In 2005, Louisiana made it illegal to purchase or distribute Salvia divinorum. Both Delaware and Missouri have added Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A into Schedule I of the states’ drug regulations. Tennessee and Oklahoma have also passed legislation on Salvia divinorum in 2006. In addition, as of January 2007, legislative bills proposing regulatory controls on salvinorin A and/or Salvia divinorum are pending in Alaska, Illinois, Maine, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, and Virginia. Internationally, salvinorin A and/or Salvia divinorum have been placed under regulatory controls in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Italy, Spain, and Sweden.

Comments and additional information are welcomed by the Drug and Chemical Evaluation Section, FAX 202-353-1263 or telephone 202-307-7183.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Keep in mind that if your state does not make this a controlled substance, then its perfectly legal to smoke, ingest, or otherwise use or possess.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
      Keep in mind that if your state does not make this a controlled substance, then its perfectly legal to smoke, ingest, or otherwise use or possess.
      Thank you, your absolutely correct!

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I first ran into this stuff a couple months ago in Niagara Falls, didn't try it, I'm more of a beer guy and I smoke enough as is (cigarettes). I was surprised that it is legal and up here too, It sounds like "the new thing" though in my city I haven come across it but believe it is in some stores. I asked the clerk in Niagara Falls about it, he says its a meditation aid, after reading this I think he was misinformed.

If you ask me this stuff sounds like some legal kind of psychedelic drug similar to LSD, yet not a threat like Meth, crack, but worse then marijuana as far as the high goes.

My worry with this stuff is the availability to kids and it's potential to become a new "gate way drug" if there really is such a thing. It's easy enough for kids to get all kinds of illegal drugs as is, this stuff just makes experimentation easier for them, quickly leading them to bigger meaner monsters.

How could it fly below the radar like it has???
        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X