No announcement yet.

Gloves .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my Friskmasters the day I got my first Uncle Mikes duty belt and never looked back. MY PPK has 5 gloves (always drop one) to use when I am touching evidence or something that is not so safe or even an SL who is becoming a pest and I may need to stop from pushing me.

I also played baseball so used my Mizuno Batting Gloves in winter to be able to write with and still keep warm (when I lost one I was like Michael Jackson with just 1 glove).
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Gloves are great to prevent cuts and bodily fluids, but they do add a degree of unprofessional-ism to your image. I guess it all depends on who you interact with. Never the less, all guards should carry at least a pair of medical gloves just in case.
      Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

I have a pair of friskmasters also, but also carry several pairs of latex gloves.

Comment

I carry and use the Hatch Searchmaster gloves, in addition to vinyl exam gloves. In the winter I wear insulated gloves since the Hatch gloves are useless for keeping your hands warm in cold weather.
          "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I like Mechanix Gloves - http://www.mechanix.com/ - We send my Son in Iraq about 5 pair at a time. He's a mechanic and a Hemet wrecker operator. I especially like the gloves with the lights - http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=8
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
              I like Mechanix Gloves - http://www.mechanix.com/ - We send my Son in Iraq about 5 pair at a time. He's a mechanic and a Hemet wrecker operator. I especially like the gloves with the lights - http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=8
              Too bad they have "Mechanix" printed all over them. Now if they printed "Tactical" or "SWAT" or something like that on them, they'd sell to security guards like hotcakes.
              "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I have medical gloves but I need to get a pair of leather gloves. Not only for the cold but I might run into some methhead with there hype kit. I've gone to the anchor stores in the mall where i work to issue ban notices to shoplifters and the anchor stores' LP have recoverd the metheads kit.

Comment

Curt, a few friends in the USA asked me to support their care packs to family members in Iraq. It's amazing what we take for granted as tools of trade, these soldiers believe are worth more than gold. I agreed to donate $200.00 US of Swiss Army Knives and the supplier agreed to match us knife for knife so they got them at cost price and a double order. Work gloves were another thing sent over as the Engineers were going through them like dunny paper at a Bombay Cafe.

I hope all those with family members serving overseas in Iraq or similar, do come home safely and that they know how much they are missed by their family and friends.

Comment

My wife sends at least one very large package every week.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I have a pair of Hatch gloves, never had to use them yet though. But hey, thats a good thing.

Comment

I own a pair of gloves but I rarely get to use them. I have a charge officer that says they look too intimidating to be wearing black gloves and if I want to wear gloves the hospital has plenty of latex gloves. He even told me to take them out of my back pocket and not to carry them. I asked him where in the uniform policy it states that I can't wear the black gloves. He said it didn't so they are in my back pocket right now.

Originally posted by dannyr619 View Post
                        Gloves are great to prevent cuts and bodily fluids, but they do add a degree of unprofessional-ism to your image. I guess it all depends on who you interact with. Never the less, all guards should carry at least a pair of medical gloves just in case.
                        And in what degree is that? I feel that it makes it look like you are prepared for any situation. You have to remember a lot of us aren't in the "customer service" type of security. I know I'm not, no matter how much they try to tell me I am. The priorities are as follows: 1. Officer Safety, 2. Staff Safety, 3. Customer Safety, 4. Customer Service.
                        Last edited by JSam21; 11-18-2007, 02:24 AM. Reason: adding quote and response.
                        "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
                        some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

I usually wear just one glove. If I see an SP(Suspicious person) heading my way I will break out in my best Billy Jean and start moon walking. In most cases they will turn and run away screaming No! No! Please No!. Very effective use of glove.
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

I wear hatch gloves except while doing bike patrol. I have 4 pair of nitrile gloves on my belt.

Comment

We work one up at a shopping center, we are not allowed to carry batons, cuffs, in fact anything that may be used as a defense against an attack from some nutter.

We are supplied a radio, it connects us to the cleaner on duty, generally a woman with limited understanding of English.

We carry a phone, now Imagine the scenario:

Your walking through the basement car park, a group of youths approaches in an intimidating fashion.

You say "Guys I must warn you that I am armed with a radio and phone and will if provoked use them"

They continue toward you. You say "Stop one more step and it's the radio, this is your first and only warning" They continue to approach.

You pull out your radio and call the lady cleaner with limited English skills, she asks you to repeat what your saying (you don't understand cos she has limited English skills right?)

So you opt for your backup weapon, out comes the NOKIA 6210 with 2 mega pixel camera, music player, and so much more!

The youths are shocked by what they see, here's your chance, you dial 000 (911 in the US) place your phone to your ear and hear .... NOTHING ... you have no reception in the basement car park!

So you advise the gang of youths that you are experiencing technical difficulties and ask if they would just hold off until you move to a better area to gain reception.

And of course they are happy for you to do this

Ok so whats the point of this, particularly within this thread?
                              I own a pair of gloves but I rarely get to use them. I have a charge officer that says they look too intimidating to be wearing black gloves and if I want to wear gloves the hospital has plenty of latex gloves. He even told me to take them out of my back pocket and not to carry them. I asked him where in the uniform policy it states that I can't wear the black gloves. He said it didn't so they are in my back pocket right now.
                              I really do get tired of people placing so little value on one of their employees lives that they will stop you from carrying personal equipment. Oh I know it comes down to insurance etc, but what about the Guard?

Do we have to have the crap beaten out of us before someone decides that maybe there is a need to lift the restrictions in place regarding the carrying of batons cuffs etc?

Yes it can come across as intimidating, cops look intimidating but if they're smiling then that changes their whole appearance.

By the way the above scenario is a reflection of what would have to happen if I was placed into that situation.

Comment

I had a habit of always rolling my sleeves up on the overalls / working blues back when I was in uniform and was told that this was very intimidating to customers and clients. I really didn't care much as it was due to the weave of the fabric and the weather made this the best choice. Ironically I work in suits and wear long sleeve shirts, but can never roll the sleeves up. Working a few night foot patrols I wore my friskmaster gloves as sometimes moving through a crowd, you could be stuck with something before you even realised what had happened.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X