Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedtia
    replied
    Florida requires an unarmed security license prior to application for a Statewide Firearms Permit. This is, as someone previously stated, a permit to carry an exposed weapon. There are strict guidelines that go along with this regarding weapon type (.38 or .357 REVOLVER carrying ONLY .38 ammo or a 9mm pistol) and only allows carry while actually on duty and on the clients property. Shotgun and assualt rifle waivers are available for certain situations such as armored car, nuke plants, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Squidly
    replied
    Here in thte Northern Territory,(Australia) Basically there is two licence groups - Security Officer and Crowd Controller Licences. We can also get a combination licence.
    To carry firearms, cuffs, CA Spray etc is every restricted and requires seperate licences/certificates external to security licence. Also for an officer to carry firearms etc the security firm needs to be certified so their officers to carry weapons etc.

Leave a comment:

• tattedupboy
    replied
    In Indiana, contract security guards are not required to be licensed, only the owner of the company. I'm an in house security guard, so I have it even better. No license is required for a guard to work unarmed, and only an Indiana license to carry a handgun (either the 4-year or the lifetime) is required for anyone wanting to do armed security. Firms are free to add their own additional requirements to those, and many do, if for no other reason, to reduce liability.

Leave a comment:

• locknid
    replied
    here in AZ you need one card for unarmed and a second one on top of that for armed. Also with the armed card it states what company you work for. If you change companies or work for multiple armed companies then you must either pay a transfer fee or get a separate armed card for each company you work for.

Also both cards will expire on the same day every 2 years. I found out this when I got my armed card with only a few months left on my unarmed. So when I got my armed card it also expired in a few months. So I ended up having to take an 8 hour refresher course again, not cool.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    dang

Texas requires:

1. 4-hr. class instruction and testing for Level I/II. LI is registration and LII is an actual license (non-commissioned)

2. 30-hr classroom/range instruction for Level III (commissioned) to carry a firearm exposed.

3. 15-hr. classroom/range instruction for LevelIV (personal protection officer) to carry a concealed firearm.

4. 4-hr classroom for OC spray. Required for anyone who wants to carry it.

My company also requires a 4-hr. class for baton and handcuffing, just for the sake of liability.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by HospitalPatrol View Post
    Wow, that would be awesome. I doubt my employer would provide any support to me if I ever tried to pursue that. I wonder if the SLED card would allow carry in places a civilian CWP wouldn't (churches, hospitals, schools, etc)...
    You are carrying as a security officer, so you can carry anywhere a deputy may carry. Your employer, btw, would be responsible... so no, I don't think they would.

Basically, since you're carrying on your security shield, you are carrying as a LEO for the purposes of weapons laws.

Leave a comment:

• SEO_09
    replied
    Originally posted by craig333 View Post
    In CA your firearm permit specifies what calibers you are allowed to carry (whatever you decided to qualify with). Anyone else do that?
    In VA it does not say the caliber on the card, but you can only use the weapon in the same caliber that you qualified with.

Leave a comment:

• HospitalPatrol
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    If your can convince SLED that the security officer, owner, or supervisor is required to respond to incidents at a moment's notice or otherwise be in "need" of a weapon to facilitate their police duties then the state will issue a blanket carry permit which works on or off duty.
    Wow, that would be awesome. I doubt my employer would provide any support to me if I ever tried to pursue that. I wonder if the SLED card would allow carry in places a civilian CWP wouldn't (churches, hospitals, schools, etc)...

Leave a comment:

• SP1
    replied
    Insurance Restrictions

The matter of one or two licenses is really not the issue. The real issue is that depending on where you work, the insurance company dictates the security guards policy through the place of employment.

And the bean counters take over.........

Leave a comment:

• BadBoynMD
    replied
    Originally posted by craig333 View Post
    In CA your firearm permit specifies what calibers you are allowed to carry (whatever you decided to qualify with). Anyone else do that?
    Nope.. not here in lovely Maryland. Basically on your qualification sheet it just simply states the make and caliber you shot with. So if I decided to change from my Sig .40 to a Glock 9mm, I could. Without having to "re-qualify". However, the catch is if the company has a policy stating otherwise. My company policy is you carry what you qualified with. If you want to change weapons..you have to qualify with that weapon, even if that weapon is the same caliber.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    South Carolina law has an interesting exemption to "only carry at work" for security personnel. Since the state law is basically modeled after considering the owner of the company as a Sheriff, and you're all his deputies...

If your can convince SLED that the security officer, owner, or supervisor is required to respond to incidents at a moment's notice or otherwise be in "need" of a weapon to facilitate their police duties then the state will issue a blanket carry permit which works on or off duty.

When I say police duties, I mean the duties that relate to providing protection as a person who has "all the powers of a deputy sheriff."

Leave a comment:

• HospitalPatrol
    replied
    In South Carolina security officers are registered with SLED, the State Law Enforcement Division. You need to take a class covering laws and legals, use of force, etc before they can register you. Three types of SLED cards: Class I (unarmed), class II (armed - revolver), class III (armed - pistol). Classes II and III require an additional eight hours of instruction. Also you can get a security concealable weapons permit which allows you to conceal your weapon at work. If you have a II or III you can work class I posts no problem. Armed or unarmed you are still a security officer, just take your weapon off and no one knows the difference.

I just moved from the hospital and I have a security concealed weapons permit which allows me to carry a glock underneath the soft look. I can only carry it on route to/from and while I'm at work, the permit doesn't allow any other type of carry. But with that kind of permit I could easily go back to the hospital (where I still work pt) and wear my weapon in a fully and exposed manner as the site requires.

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    yes and no

The state of Louisiana doesn't. The cities of New Orleans and i think Shreveport mandate that a security officer must hold a special officer commission work in there city armed. I know new orleans forsure have pay extra $50.00 a year for it.

Leave a comment:

• Bern Wheaton
    replied
    Here you have two ,one for unarmed and one for armed the armed can do either unarmed or armed. The Lic. is good for one year it ex spires on your date of your birthday. As for a arm guard you must take the 8 hrs course. 4 hrs of allot of talking and 4 hrs on the range as the instructor informs you that if you point the weapon at him he will shoot to stop you!

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X