Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wears a vest (body armour)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    30 years in hotel security & so far have never needed it nor have I heard of any other Montreal hotel security officer ever being shot.
    If you wear a suit, and not a uniform that's a big difference as well. A uniform is targeted by near sighted crackheads. But you are right, the probabilities are low, and maybe lower even in Canada than USA. But Murphy's law...I would feel safer.

    As a guard, you can't do anything but be a moving target, so Safety first! If you have a suit on, you can drop your badge in your pocket and just duck.
    Last edited by ddog; 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Is there any law that says a security officer can't not wear a vest under his/or her shrit.

      To make sure I was safe every day when working I would wear it.
      [/COLOR]
      ]

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
        Is there any law that says a security officer can't not wear a vest under his/or her shrit.

        To make sure I was safe every day when working I would wear it.
        [/COLOR]
        In most states, no. Of course, the law does not equal company policy. If your company prohibits you from wearing one, then its still a violation of company policy and you can be disciplined for it.

        This is something many people forget: Just because its legal doesn't mean your company has to let you do it.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by ddog View Post
          If you wear a suit, and not a uniform that's a big difference as well. A uniform is targeted by near sighted crackheads. But you are right, the probabilities are low, and maybe lower even in Canada than USA. But Murphy's law...I would feel safer.

          As a guard, you can't do anything but be a moving target, so Safety first! If you have a suit on, you can drop your badge in your pocket and just duck.

          I do not know why, but even when not wearing the badge around my neck people know I'm hotel security.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

          Comment


          • #20
            I have worn a concealed vest for a long time and am frequently asked why I don't wear a vest. Get a vest that fits good and does what you want and no one will know you have it on. There's an old saying around here that 6 pallbearers cost a lot more than a fine for breaking policy. Don't let a poor decision by some suit sitting in an office hasten your meeting with Satan.
            Attached Files
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

            Comment


            • #21
              I wear a vest as an LEO, not as a security officer at BHR. We really have no use for them here. I have two, but the only time I wear them for security is if Im doing some armed stuff for someone.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                I do not know why, but even when not wearing the badge around my neck people know I'm hotel security.
                Maybe leering down at people with no other particular job function gives you away. I really don't think you'd be leering down at a $369 brand new AK-47 firing rounds though, while the crook is chasing a uniformed officer down the hall. Its a shame you need a $2500 Dragon Skin body armour to reliably cancel the effects of a $369 AK-47 bought (on-line I assume or ) in Chicago.
                Last edited by ddog; 08-02-2007, 10:11 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  One "not issued but required" so far. I really didn't expect to see any of those, but I included it anyway. "yes, not issued, but choose to at my expense" leads the way with nine votes so far. that is what I expected from this group, however I wouldn't expect it from our industry as a whole.
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ddog View Post
                    Maybe leering down at people with no other particular job function gives you away. I really don't think you'd be leering down at a $369 brand new AK-47 firing rounds though, while the crook is chasing a uniformed officer down the hall. Its a shame you need a $2500 Dragon Skin body armour to reliably cancel the effects of a $369 AK-47 bought (on-line I assume or ) in Chicago.
                    Thankfully there has never been anyone running down a hallway of any hotel in Canada with a AK-47 in my countries 140 year old history
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                      Thankfully there has never been anyone running down a hallway of any hotel in Canada with a AK-47 in my countries 140 year old history
                      Ah, but what about knives?
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

                      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Any 2XL Concealable Dragon Skins not being used out there?

                        I would be happy to pay $500 for a used one: no slashes, no bullet holes

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Don't let a poor decision by some suit sitting in an office hasten your meeting with Satan.[/QUOTE]

                          LOL! I like it.
                          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I wear a First Choice Synergy lvl IIIA vest. A vest is something that takes getting used to wearing. If anyone played football at any level they will know that the first time you put the pads on you feel like you can't move but then in a few weeks it becomes second nature.
                            "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

                            Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

                            Originally posted by Black Caesar
                            some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Dragon Skin

                              Dragon Skin is a highly contested issue. The Army and DOJ report that it flunked, however MSNBC reports that it passed and is used by the CIA. In 'independant' tests done in Germany by MSNBC, it passed with flying colors when put side by side with the current Army armor, Interceptor.

                              Got this link, from Davis002, who posted it in the Equipment Section.
                              http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/2007/NIJ07057.htm

                              And then there's MSNBC's Report dated March 20, 2007

                              Which one will save your butt, which one keep you alive? The one your wearing will be a lot better than one your not. In other words, something (anything) is better than nothing.

                              Atlantic Tactical Has some fairly decent prices on Body Armor.

                              All that being said, there are times in which I do not wear mine. Climate is NOT one of those factors (Too hot). There are assignments from time to time that I do not wear it. However, as a rule if I have my firearm and anything looking like a uniform, I have my vest.

                              On a side note, if an Employer requires to wear or use a piece of equipment, aren't they require to provide for not?
                              ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                              Corbier's Commandos

                              Nemo me impune lacessit

                              Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post

                                Atlantic Tactical Has some fairly decent prices on Body Armor.
                                Interesting site. Initially, all I see is 'either' price or safety coverage levels (II, IIIA, III), but not both (?). Seems like Chinese marketing strategy.

                                And if the US Generals and Senators wear Dragon Skin body armour, who can doubt these high level intelligence experts? I'll still offer $500 for an used conceilable Dragon Skin 2XL Size: no holes, no tears of course

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X