• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Here's today's damper.

1. To receive a Florida Class G Security Firearms Permit, a Class M manager licensee must sign off on your application. In other words, your employer will decide if you're getting a license, not you.

2. Your Class G school is only good for a period of 6 months. This may actually be a year, but I'm remembering 6 months. So, if you don't find a company willing to sign your G within 6 months of completing the course... You get to take it again.

3. Companies use this as a way to ensure loyalty. While some will blindly sign anyone's G application, others require a minimum working time.
    Good info! Thanks. Yeah a good boss is one thing I am looking for in my main security job. Working for 2 Security companies may help my chances better, since never know until start. Actually finding a good deal on proper concealed body armor has preceded the "G" priority: first things first.

In the end, whatever is in the best interest of the employer(s) is what I should be concentrating on. The "G" has significant costs of school, license, liability, and time assigned to handling weapon properly while transporting/storing weapon which may negate a dollar an hour difference (initially anyway). But if its in the interest of my company, I wouldn't think twice about it as an advancement opportunity and a sign of trust by my boss.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    20% higher starting wage job opportunities , plus prerequisites for more elite Security opportunities.
    Here's today's damper.

1. To receive a Florida Class G Security Firearms Permit, a Class M manager licensee must sign off on your application. In other words, your employer will decide if you're getting a license, not you.

2. Your Class G school is only good for a period of 6 months. This may actually be a year, but I'm remembering 6 months. So, if you don't find a company willing to sign your G within 6 months of completing the course... You get to take it again.

3. Companies use this as a way to ensure loyalty. While some will blindly sign anyone's G application, others require a minimum working time.

Leave a comment:

• Steve354
    replied
    The course I did was back in 2003 and as outlined on page 2 a few of them was only just touched on like 10 to 20 minters. That also includes the ones you are talking about . So now you can see where I coming from about getting the right training.

I thank you all for your in put to this post. It's been great. Now it's bed time My further is in the hand of the US visa people today and that is a 4 four car trip one way big day head of me.

So I wish all a save and happy day.Steve.
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Tis' okay

Doesn't ACT SO training include powers of arrest, trespass/lawful ejection, legal use of force & basic definition of a criminal act ie. finds committing?

As far as firearms & self-defensive training goes... self defense would be an assest to anybody, but if you don't work armed why bother to get armed accreditation?

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    20% higher starting wage job opportunities , plus prerequisites for more elite Security opportunities.
    I was actually referring to Steve's position... which AFAIK is for an unarmed Security firm, additionally he claims to be moving to Utah soon thus there'd be no point until he hit US soil doing anything related to gun training

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    As far as firearms & self-defensive training goes... self defense would be an assest to anybody, but if you don't work armed why bother to get armed accreditation?

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Ok, when I say "state," I mean "state in the US. " Sorry for confusion.
    Tis' okay

Originally posted by Steve354
    I believe that a security officers training should included the crimes act for where they live. It should also included self-defense and firearms training.
    Doesn't ACT SO training include powers of arrest, trespass/lawful ejection, legal use of force & basic definition of a criminal act ie. finds committing?

Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-02-2007, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bern Wheaton
    replied
    So I can read it

Leave a comment:

• dsoul27
    replied
    ^^^^Why are you typing so big?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    It would be a waste of money giving me firearms training since Canadian Private Security (with a very few exceptions) can not be armed.

Leave a comment:

• Steve354
    replied
    I believe that a security officers training should included the crimes act for where they live. It should also included self-defense and firearms training.

We should have the right to have better knowledge of the law.

When it comes to self-defense I told my that I going to a self-defense course he said why you don't need it it would be a wast of my money and I got the same reply when I ask about doing a firearms training.

Here years go there was a guy going around knocking off banks and I got the job of going after it happen. The bank he did I was there 20 minters after and the news was out that he is coming back the next day. I was not allowed to wear a vest under my shirt.

I believe this is wrong i should have been given some kind of protection.

We can only to our as professorially if we are given the right training at no cost to us.
    Last edited by Steve354; 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Like I said in my earlier post, basic self defensive techniques is part of the required mandatory training for current Victorian SO's (Cert' III), Certificate II has been superceded by PRS30103 and thus is a 'must have' for any Victorian SO wanting to continue in this industry
    Ok, when I say "state," I mean "state in the US. " Sorry for confusion.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    I do not know of a state that mandates as part of license training self-defense or defensive tactics training.
    Like I said in my earlier post, basic self defensive techniques is part of the required mandatory training for current Victorian SO's (Cert' III), Certificate II has been superceded by PRS30103 and thus is a 'must have' for any Victorian SO wanting to continue in this industry

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Thank you. Amazing how many times this point has to be made.
    No problem!

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
    All I can say is that the training must be a lot better then here. I have always worked on my own and my only communication to the boss was my Mobile phone.

None of my training talked about what to do if someone was to come towards me with a weapon of any kind.

I see that what I did here may not be of any good there, so it's back to the drawing borad for me. which I like the sound of that.
    You just described most security training in the US.

The objective is a "base minimum" to ensure that the people of the state are protected from guards not knowing their legal authority.

I do not know of a state that mandates as part of license training self-defense or defensive tactics training.

Florida has a chapter on "special considerations," such as weapons, and its basically: FLEE. You are not a cop.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I see. Security guards do not have as much right as an employee citizen in FL. So an armed guard or someone else has to get shot before they can fire back?
    I didn't say that. It isn't about your gun. You cannot:

1. Take someone into custody unless they are trying to hurt you or someone else.

2. Remove a trespasser. You may only use enough force to prevent physical harm to yourself or someone else, NOT to turn "aggressive" and force someone to leave.

3. Use force to protect property. This means you can't grab anyone cause they just stole something, or push someone off a fence that they're climbing.

Force means physical force, not gunfire.

If someone is trying to harm you, or someone else, you may use force only to stop the attack, and no more.

If someone is trying to kill you, then lethal force will stop their deadly attack.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X