Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we take a oath or not.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    An oath ceremony can be used for team building, or esprit de corps purposes.
    So does training together, being in and handling bad situations together, sweating together, bleeding together and of course having fun together. I do not believe, to the best of my ole memory, the entire time as an active duty Marine serving in combat, that our team building or esprit de corps came from taking an "OATH"! It was from learning to trust each other with our lives through all the blood, sweat, tears and laughter we went through... together.

    I say again, in my opinion, what would an oath change in the world of security?
    "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
    (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

    Comment


    • #17
      I don't know how things are set up in Australia but if this post was written by someone from North America I would smell a little "Want-a-bee"
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
        You'll learn in your D course that you have no duty to report a crime, but do have a duty to extinguish or report a fire.

        BTW, ask your D instructor about 493 and use of force. If he says you can throw a trespasser out, he is WRONG. 493.6118(j) says that if you use force except to protect people from physical harm, you can be arrested for it, and your license taken away.
        But under arrest authority the teach citizens arrest and retail theft isnt that odd?
        "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by DarkMetalWolf View Post
          So does training together, being in and handling bad situations together, sweating together, bleeding together and of course having fun together. I do not believe, to the best of my ole memory, the entire time as an active duty Marine serving in combat, that our team building or esprit de corps came from taking an "OATH"! It was from learning to trust each other with our lives through all the blood, sweat, tears and laughter we went through... together.

          I say again, in my opinion, what would an oath change in the world of security?
          You took an Oath when you joined the Marine Corps, When you graduated from Recruit Training and any time you re-enlisted. It's an oath. You took a bigger unspoken oath the day you made the decision to join the Big Green Machine, and that was to fight beside you shipmate no matter what. That's what Boot Camp taught you.

          But it all started with an Oath.

          One that I took a few times in my 10 years in the Crotch.
          SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

          Comment


          • #20
            Here in the Australian Capital Territoty (Canberra) To do the ten day course, you apply there is police check, then when it comes you do the course.

            The covers Maintain the security of premises and property

            Control access to and exit from premises

            Maintaim safety of premises and personnel

            Communicate in the workplace

            Manage conflict

            Maintain occupational health and safety

            Manage own performance

            Operate basic security equipment

            Apprehend offenders

            Escort and carry valuables

            Provide for safety of persons

            Control crowds

            Manintain an effective relationship with client/customers

            Work as part of a security team

            Provide emergency first aid

            Interpret and comply with legal and procedural requirements

            when pass that at the end of your 10 days you will be sent your Statement of attainment Certificate 2 in Security (Guarding).

            You that with Id fill out a 9 page apperlcation form for your licence pay $ 136.00 A part of that form and the money is for a police check.

            that is all the training that you get. you are not armed and the only thing you carry is your flash light.

            I was not taught by the police infact they do not have anything to do with the training at all.
            Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
            I don't know how things are set up in Australia but if this post was written by someone from North America I would smell a little "Want-a-bee"
            Last edited by Steve354; 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM.
            ]

            Comment


            • #21
              Well in the USA you are not consider a police officer you are still a citizen can do citizen arrest,make sure you cover your butt if you do a arrest.

              We do as the client request or and or company request. For the police the only time we call them is if there needed.

              We deal with the problems when they come up if police need to be involved then they are called if they are not needed we take care of the problem our selfs.

              A oath well that is on your application to not to reveal company polices.
              If they wish me to do a oath like the police do they better pay me the same amount as they do. Or they can forget it.

              Comment


              • #22
                All I can say is that the training must be a lot better then here. I have always worked on my own and my only communication to the boss was my Mobile phone.

                None of my training talked about what to do if someone was to come towards me with a weapon of any kind.

                I see that what I did here may not be of any good there, so it's back to the drawing borad for me. which I like the sound of that.
                ]

                Comment


                • #23
                  When it comes to attack it depends on you mostly you want to go home safe. But you always want him at arms length, If you do not carry a weapon and they come after with you with a knife ,and there is no way out for you ,then use your coat or shirt for the attack . Wrap it around your arm.,sometimes your belt will help you also as you warp it around your fist and use the belt buckle for a weapon if you got time to do that.As like a whip.

                  For a pistol well run.hide. Use your mobile.Phone.

                  For people use common sense if there drunk they can be aggressive,but always remember to stay arms length away from them if they come close use your arm and stop them. Push them back. Informed them that is close enough. If they swing at you you have the right to defend them off.

                  Always make sure you have the upper hand or control. That is my two cents on things.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
                    All I can say is that the training must be a lot better then here. I have always worked on my own and my only communication to the boss was my Mobile phone.

                    None of my training talked about what to do if someone was to come towards me with a weapon of any kind.
                    Have you completed your Certificate III PRS30103 (or State equivalent) yet? it contains module PRSSO222A - Protect self and others using basic defensive techniques... Cert III is mandatory for all SO's who've completed Cert' II (due to Victorian Governement changes), I'm not familiar with NSW/ACT guidelines/requirements

                    Whilst developing a healthy respect/relationship with local LE agencies is prudent, I wouldn't go so far as to say we're the eyes & ears... though if we're professional & efficient we can make their job that little bit easier


                    BTW please don't post entirely in alternate colours... it's a little hard on the eyes
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                      You took an Oath when you joined the Marine Corps, When you graduated from Recruit Training and any time you re-enlisted. It's an oath. You took a bigger unspoken oath the day you made the decision to join the Big Green Machine, and that was to fight beside you shipmate no matter what. That's what Boot Camp taught you.

                      But it all started with an Oath.

                      One that I took a few times in my 10 years in the Crotch.
                      This is very true and I do agree that my service started with an oath, but... I also took an oath in Cub scouts, Boy scouts and another in the Royal Rangers. I even took an oath once when I got married, stating I would not get divorced, but I did. You even take an oath to buy a car or a house or any time you sign a contract, see definition below, To keep a promise, which is what a contract is.....the point, an oath is not what makes a person. Either one has a good work ethic or they do not. Either way, it is not the oath that decides that. So by Security taking an oath, what is it going to change for the betterment of Security or it's Officers? This is the question I am asking.


                      oath noun, plural oaths

                      1. a solemn appeal to a deity, or to some revered person or thing, to witness one's determination to speak the truth, to keep a promise, etc.: to testify upon oath.
                      2. a statement or promise strengthened by such an appeal.
                      3. a formally affirmed statement or promise accepted as an equivalent of an appeal to a deity or to a revered person or thing; affirmation.
                      4. the form of words in which such a statement or promise is made.
                      5. an irreverent or blasphemous use of the name of God or anything sacred.
                      6. any profane expression; curse; swearword: He slammed the door with a muttered oath.
                      —Idiom7. take an oath, to swear solemnly; vow.


                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      [Origin: bef. 900; ME ooth, OE āth; c. G Eid]


                      —Synonyms 2. vow, pledge. 5. profanity.
                      Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
                      Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
                      "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
                      (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                        You'll learn in your D course that you have no duty to report a crime, but do have a duty to extinguish or report a fire.

                        BTW, ask your D instructor about 493 and use of force. If he says you can throw a trespasser out, he is WRONG. 493.6118(j) says that if you use force except to protect people from physical harm, you can be arrested for it, and your license taken away.

                        I see. Security guards do not have as much right as an employee citizen in FL. So an armed guard or someone else has to get shot before they can fire back?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Just like here you cannot return fire until they have shot at you first,they get one free shot!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                            It is my opinion that Law Enforcement Officers and Security Officers have two very different missions. LEOs pursue and apprehend the bad actor. SOs prevent, deter and defend the clients employees, assests and liabilities.

                            Be safe,

                            Hank
                            Thank you. Amazing how many times this point has to be made.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                            "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                            "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                            "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ddog View Post
                              I see. Security guards do not have as much right as an employee citizen in FL. So an armed guard or someone else has to get shot before they can fire back?
                              I didn't say that. It isn't about your gun. You cannot:

                              1. Take someone into custody unless they are trying to hurt you or someone else.

                              2. Remove a trespasser. You may only use enough force to prevent physical harm to yourself or someone else, NOT to turn "aggressive" and force someone to leave.

                              3. Use force to protect property. This means you can't grab anyone cause they just stole something, or push someone off a fence that they're climbing.

                              Force means physical force, not gunfire.

                              If someone is trying to harm you, or someone else, you may use force only to stop the attack, and no more.

                              If someone is trying to kill you, then lethal force will stop their deadly attack.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

                              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
                                All I can say is that the training must be a lot better then here. I have always worked on my own and my only communication to the boss was my Mobile phone.

                                None of my training talked about what to do if someone was to come towards me with a weapon of any kind.

                                I see that what I did here may not be of any good there, so it's back to the drawing borad for me. which I like the sound of that.
                                You just described most security training in the US.

                                The objective is a "base minimum" to ensure that the people of the state are protected from guards not knowing their legal authority.

                                I do not know of a state that mandates as part of license training self-defense or defensive tactics training.

                                Florida has a chapter on "special considerations," such as weapons, and its basically: FLEE. You are not a cop.
                                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X