Some Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Parents

I just got off a shift, with an interesting experience. Me and a partner doing neighborhood patrol. I noticed a teen male at 2100 hrs. sitting on a bench alone, popular for teens to get picked up after a movie. Didn't think anything of it at that time. 2200 hrs. we drove by again, he was still there, asleep, and alone. We stopped to talk with him, the subject responded age 15, and reported that his parents would be there soon to pick him up, they were probably just late. After some more routine neighborhood patrol, we decided to go back at 2315. We made contact with the subject at the same location, advising him that he was now in violation of the curfew. I made a call to his residence, with no answer. We took him into custody, detained him based on the curfew ordenence, and decided to take him home. After several more calls to the residence, the father finally answered. I advised him of the situation, and told him that we would be there soon. We arrived at the residence, talked to the father, and released the teen. After talking to the father, he admitted to drinking, falling asleep, and forgetting to pick up his son. With many thanks, we moved on. Anyone ever had to take care of the forgotten children??

All the time! Didnt you know? Mall's come equipped with built in baby sitters!

Whats real fun are the 14 year old girls dressed like street walkers, who's parents are long passed out to come pick them up, all the mean time time you are shooing away 38 perverts!
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by PSOfficer View Post
      I just got off a shift, with an interesting experience. Me and a partner doing neighborhood patrol. I noticed a teen male at 2100 hrs. sitting on a bench alone, popular for teens to get picked up after a movie. Didn't think anything of it at that time. 2200 hrs. we drove by again, he was still there, asleep, and alone. We stopped to talk with him, the subject responded age 15, and reported that his parents would be there soon to pick him up, they were probably just late. After some more routine neighborhood patrol, we decided to go back at 2315. We made contact with the subject at the same location, advising him that he was now in violation of the curfew. I made a call to his residence, with no answer. We took him into custody, detained him based on the curfew ordenence, and decided to take him home. After several more calls to the residence, the father finally answered. I advised him of the situation, and told him that we would be there soon. We arrived at the residence, talked to the father, and released the teen. After talking to the father, he admitted to drinking, falling asleep, and forgetting to pick up his son. With many thanks, we moved on. Anyone ever had to take care of the forgotten children??
      When I was in LE, we often wondered whether we were cops or babysitters. Most disturbing were the parents who didn't even want to come down to the station to pick up their kids when we had to haul them in for something. I had more than one parent say something like "Well, let him rot in jail, then...it'll do him good! I can't do anything with him and I ain't coming down there at this time of night."

No, I'm wrong. Just as bad were parents who would leave their children home alone to fend for themselves while they went off partying or blew out of town "just for the weekend", etc. The results were usually just as predictable as any reasonable person would expect, ranging from loud parties to fights and even house fires (there was a lot of incense-burning back then....).
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 07-30-2007, 01:22 AM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

We get hockey tournaments with young kids & their parents. The kids roam the hotels disturbing other guests. We catch them & bring them to their parents who are in their rooms drinking with other parents & don't want the kids there. I hate these types of groups.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The only one I ever came across and I had them twice,was when I was doing patrol for a shopping mall ,but the worst is when the parents use them,to get money off customers,they let there kids out of the van and make them run around and collect money. One day I caught them getting this women for at least ten dollars in change ,they informed the woman they needed it to feed them selfs and she handed it over feeling sorry for them. I caught them and ask what they were doing they told me the same story. I remembered these kids a week ago when there mother and the two same kids stop in a van and where asking for money.

I look at Them and told them don't con me ,I ask them were there parents were and they clam up ,Looking at them a little harder I said listen I know your mother ,father or who knows what is park somewhere in this lot waiting for you,who is it? the young boy said it was his uncle> I put them in the patrol truck and took them back to the store so the client could called the police and I gave them the report,the van escape some where along the lines.

Sad thing was about 6 months later I saw them again doing the same thing.

Comment

We've had parents lose kids as young as TWO at the theme park.
            Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

While patrolling Section 8 housing complexes, I would routinely find toddlers and adolescent children walking and roaming the parking lots, playgrounds and pool areas well into the early morning. Sometimes, they are so young, that they would not know what apartment and/or building they reside. Clear case of child endangerment. LE would respond, locate the mom/dad and slap their hands and give then a verbal scolding and clear the call. Sometimes, the parent (s) would have priors for child abuse/endagerment. I simply sit there and shake my head in disbelief!

Be safe,

Hank
              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Anyone ever had to take care of the forgotten children??
                Simple solution... Call Micheal Jackson jk

It's another example of declining family values in our society.
                "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                  While patrolling Section 8 housing complexes, I would routinely find toddlers and adolescent children walking and roaming the parking lots, playgrounds and pool areas well into the early morning. Sometimes, they are so young, that they would not know what apartment and/or building they reside. Clear case of child endangerment. LE would respond, locate the mom/dad and slap their hands and give then a verbal scolding and clear the call. Sometimes, the parent (s) would have priors for child abuse/endagerment. I simply sit there and shake my head in disbelief!

Be safe,

Hank
                  I got tired of our crack babies roaming North Boulevard at 2 AM. I used to call the police for a toddler roaming around. Its felony child endangerment. So, why are they just returned?

Even calling HRS/CPS does nothing.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                    I got tired of our crack babies roaming North Boulevard at 2 AM. I used to call the police for a toddler roaming around. Its felony child endangerment. So, why are they just returned?

I have even saw kids that showed extreme signs of sexual abuse and had a CPS Investigator say this to to me, " it is very clear this child has been sexually abused, but until the child says that he/she has been abused, we can do nothing about it". So if this is not enough, then what is going to take to get the people who are supposed to protect kids when parents will not, to do something about it? So as N.A. Corbier said, So, why are they returned to the parents?
                    "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
                    (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

I'm just glad that I was there to help a teen in need. A very positive reason for the curfew we enforce.

Comment

I'm glad I work in industry and don't ahve to deal with kids.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

. Anyone ever had to take care of the forgotten children??

Actually, not too long ago, something like this happened with my nephew. I went to the convenience store that is located directly behind my site at around 1900 and my 7-year-old nephew was there. It just so happened that while I was walking over there, I was talking on my cell phone to my brother who is my boss and was also working at the time and is also this boy's father. Apparently he walked over there from a friend's house and did not know how to get back. My brother told me to take him with me back to my site while he called his wife to come pick him up. I did and kept him there with me for approximately 10 minutes until she finally arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

Unfortunately, the sytems are overtaxed and case workers have way to many cases. Another case of too much work, not enough time to do them. It is a sad state of affairs. Florida doesn't have a good track record with juveniles in the DCF system. Some simply disappear.....

Be safe,

Hank
                            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I remember one night having to call DCF myself because the St. Petersburg Police Sergeant who kept calling was being told it wasn't an "emergency." As we all know, in Florida, its DCF who decides if its criminal or not unless its blatantly obvious.

He finally handed me his cell and said, "You try. Maybe they'll listen to a citizen, cause they sure aren't listening to the police."

Three hours later a DCF investigator showed up. We had to entertain the kid for 3 hours, and keep everyone in back seats till then.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X