Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you guys survining off your security job alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    That's actually why I do what I do now. 13 (almost 14 now) years ago I started working as a SO for Smith Protective Services. 5 bucks an hour, unarmed, 4 hours of training, plastic badge and all lol.

After my 1st week, a week of actually helping some people (actually scared off a guy from the property who was stalking a tenant, unarmed lol, I was young and stupid) I looked up in to the sky and said "Lord, if you just let me make enough money to make it, I'll do this kind of job as long as I'm physically able".

He heard me . 14 years later and I'm still helping people (and protecting a huge tax-payer investment lol) and make more than 4 times more than what I started at doing a job not at all dissimilar to the one I started in....Although now I can actually protect myself. Not making Don Trump money by any means, but my family eats everyday and I don't consider suicide every time I get ready for work regular some folks do.

Thats all that matters IMO.
    Yep, no matter how you look at it:

Few start out at the top, and
    no one gets ahead with a loser attitude and a chip on their shoulder.

No one has it easy, and it only takes a few months in this industry to kick azz and get seniority: with the high turnover rates. Reading, writing, arithmatic, and excel spread sheets don't hurt as you work your way up also.

Sizing up your job assignment may be the most important and hardest part. But if your boss tries to rip you off, give you lower than agreed upon wages, and constantly lies to you; I'd be agressively looking to move on quickly without burning bridges, imo. Life is too short.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    Except for the pay, I actually enjoy my job, and do it as professional as possible despite the pay.

That's actually why I do what I do now. 13 (almost 14 now) years ago I started working as a SO for Smith Protective Services. 5 bucks an hour, unarmed, 4 hours of training, plastic badge and all lol.

After my 1st week, a week of actually helping some people (actually scared off a guy from the property who was stalking a tenant, unarmed lol, I was young and stupid) I looked up in to the sky and said "Lord, if you just let me make enough money to make it, I'll do this kind of job as long as I'm physically able".

He heard me . 14 years later and I'm still helping people (and protecting a huge tax-payer investment lol) and make more than 4 times more than what I started at doing a job not at all dissimilar to the one I started in....Although now I can actually protect myself. Not making Don Trump money by any means, but my family eats everyday and I don't consider suicide every time I get ready for work regular some folks do.

Thats all that matters IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    What did the Bible prophesize? The crap-paid shall inheret the Earth?

Well it will be 78% Security Officers strong, lol. Actually though, its convenient and helps you through the rough times. And we meet some interesting characters that may never be forgot.

It won't be on my possible list of books to write in the future, but it could for someone with more experience. Except for the pay, I actually enjoy my job, and do it as professional as possible despite the pay. With OT, its not that bad. And for every oddball you meet, you meet a real nice person; so the averages work out where you actually meet more nice people than jobs where you are at the top of the pecking order, which is what really matters.

Leave a comment:

• HomeInCalifornia
    replied
    Man, this thread is depressing. We in the security field sacrifice ourselves in industry, more than most people, and get paid squat and have a hard time making a living.

I'm doing this because I took a hit way back in the dot com crash when I was flying high in Internet software (as an entrepreneur). I left the corporate world years before, where I was making 6 figures as a technical project manager, to go to the dot com world, and eventually made up to close to a million a year (for a couple years) before a sequence of company failures (coinciding with dot com industry crash). But the problem is that since I was away for so long from the corporate world, I couldn't go back (long story, but ITers would know) as the corporate world wouldn't take people back in their mid 50's when they'd rather have much younger people in the tech positions. (Age discrimination is rampant in corporate IT.)

Besides, I like the security field. I had a bit of savings but when you lived high, you spend high (I know, not the wisest thing someone can do).

I see older people like myself in it, making barely enough to make ends meet --- or not. I've still got some savings but it's being rapidly eroded with each month.

Even those in security supervisory/management positions are not well-paid (I'm not there yet, as I'm still at peon hourly wages at the $12/hour level). Those sup/manager pay of $35k - $45k per year just can't cut it in Southern California, if you have a family and trying to bring up children.

Leave a comment:

• CAP
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post

I didn't get home good before "The Colonel" was calling my cell. My "punishment" was being assigned to another account where my "rank" would be reduced from "Sergeant Major of Security" to "1st Sergeant of Security".....Thing is the new post paid .25 cents an hour more, so I got a raise LOL. .
    Colonel, Sgt. Major, 1st Sgt.---Not dishing on any company's rank structure, just seems strange to me?

We only go as high as Captain...

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Actually, the guards were probably worth 30-35 dollars to the Government. What Wackenhut pays you, on the other hand, is totally up to them. Unless the contractor enforces a minimum pay rate for the individual guard, they can (and will) charge 30 and pay 5.75.
    I know I should not have done this (and when has that ever stopped me ), but once while working a security job I was told by a client rep (ie the business owner's wife lol) that "I"m paying 20 bucks an hours for you to be here and you will damn well give me my monies worth". So I said something I should not have.

This was from a "request" by this nice lady that I drive her across town to pick up her car from a mechanic despite the fact that I was due to get off work in 10 minutes and needed to pick up my kids from daycare.......

I told her "that's nice, you are paying 20, I'm getting paid 8, and I've given you 8 bucks an hour worth of work for 12 hours today, I'm going home, but feel free to call my company for your other "12 bucks worth" of service, you can use it to call a cab" LOL.

I didn't get home good before "The Colonel" was calling my cell. My "punishment" was being assigned to another account where my "rank" would be reduced from "Sergeant Major of Security" to "1st Sergeant of Security".....Thing is the new post paid .25 cents an hour more, so I got a raise LOL.

Such memories I've had in this line of work .
    Last edited by Black Caesar; 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
    Just a little more than a year ago I worked at one of the largest power plants in the country(the 8th largest to be exact) ... for $7.00 p/h. It was a government enforced no fly zone, I had to pass the M.M.P.I. (I was with Wackenhut at the time) to work there, and they had 4 major security threats that needed dealt with. But the guards were only worth $7.00 to them.
    Actually, the guards were probably worth 30-35 dollars to the Government. What Wackenhut pays you, on the other hand, is totally up to them. Unless the contractor enforces a minimum pay rate for the individual guard, they can (and will) charge 30 and pay 5.75.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaple
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    My SO partner just got off the phone with a friend who is doing contract security at a refinery, Motiva, about 20 miles closer to Baton Rouge. The SO told us that she's making $8.25 an hour to work the main gate at that plant. So even working at major facilities doesn't promise higher pay.
    Just a little more than a year ago I worked at one of the largest power plants in the country(the 8th largest to be exact) ... for $7.00 p/h. It was a government enforced no fly zone, I had to pass the M.M.P.I. (I was with Wackenhut at the time) to work there, and they had 4 major security threats that needed dealt with. But the guards were only worth $7.00 to them.

Leave a comment:

• junkyarddog
    replied
    BTW, working for a contractor can pay alright if the specific contract is a govt contract, involves critical infrastructure etc.

Leave a comment:

• junkyarddog
    replied
    update

Originally posted by cocknaces View Post
    My other income is as a facility services contractor, anything that requires expertise and more equipment/resources than a regular janitorial contractor. I've been doing that for 10 years. My mistake was when the decision had to made between having a bunch of employees and evolving into more of a sales guy and keeping it small and doing the work myself (with some helpers), I chose to keep it small. Lost 3/4s of my business when at the same time an account that had 4 separate job sites (about 300k SF overall) and a small grocery chain we did floors for went out of business at the same time. Both were regular per-year contracts, serviced daily. Had to get rid of the guys that I had, and am in a rebuilding phase. I still get 1000-2000 a month from what I have left (depending on the month, these aren't serviced daily and half are on-demand).

Without that additional income, there is no way I could feed my family on what I make doing security. Unless they want to pay me $30.00 an hour + full benefits, I am outta security as soon as I have enough contracts to get me back to where I was before.
    Big changes since I wrote this. Security for the client my company is contracting with is in the process of a major transition. The whole (client) company is actually in a process of transition. It has been killing me to not be able to talk about it.

Since I wrote the above post, I have been promoted twice and have been given the additional duty of FTO. I put facility services contracting on the back burner, have a regular crew take care of that work for me, and just put whatever little profit is left after a job, in my pocket. Security pays much better than I ever thought and there is more room for advancement than what most people realize.

My experience has been that you just have to keep getting as many certifications and as much experience as you can. $900. for a sidearm and 235 certification as an investment in making an additional $10k a year is very well worth it. Especially considering a year ago I would have made a $4k investment in equipment, telemarketing, additional comp coverage (etc) to achieve the same additional net income.

Any doubt about the kind of security job you can get with experience, certifications etc. can be cleared up looking here.
    Many of these jobs are 30k+ and require only an ability to qualify with a weapon and posses a year experience in the field. The better jobs require a bit more, but experience and education will get you anywhere you need to be.
    Last edited by junkyarddog; 01-01-2008, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Plugger
    replied
    I agree with all these posts and 7 to 9 dollars an hour is what contract security guards get.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    My SO partner just got off the phone with a friend who is doing contract security at a refinery, Motiva, about 20 miles closer to Baton Rouge. The SO told us that she's making $8.25 an hour to work the main gate at that plant. So even working at major facilities doesn't promise higher pay.
    lol

Remember that site I mentioned where you run an automated gate, do nothing, have no protection, and can't drive your POV up?

Do it for 7.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    If your company is a cheap contractor - expect to get screwed big time on flat wages, and no penalties. 1 friend is a Director of HR and will often do a few shifts investigating stats for me. He gets paid well for this and it's the same rate as his normal job but he could be out guarding a car yard for below poverty level wages. Many apprentices supplement their incomes working security because they earn more in a 12 hour Saturday night shift than they do in a week.

Leave a comment:

• Plugger
    replied
    Based on my experiences and having talked to a lot of people---

If your security job is with the government, you will get a decent paycheck.

If your security job is with a large corporation, you may get a decent paycheck.

If your security job is as a contract employee, you will get a small paycheck.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X