No announcement yet.

Confronted by a gang,what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confronted by a gang,what would you do?

OK here is the question what would you do if this happen to you.
    The only weapon you have is a night stick, set in by the client.
    You control a bus station and the only person working is you!

Now there is twenty teenagers ranging from 17 to 18 yrs of age,they know you are the only one there,they surround you, and inform you you are going to feel pain tonight. you have no radio no way of getting help. Your on your own.

How do you get out of it with out getting hurt in the process?

Now I know this might sound like a unfair question ,if you haven't dealt with gangs ,but it could come up.

And this is a true story..... Ill tell you how the person got out of it later,just like to know how you would handle it.
    I better put this in too, the leader of the gang was facing the Security officer his to guards where protecting the leaders sides,the army was surronding the Security officer.
    Last edited by Bern Wheaton; 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM. Reason: add more to story

Well I'm not sure never had to deal with 20-1 odds before, I find humour often defuses a potentially bad situation, if these guys are out for a fight/trouble you're not gonna' be talking your way outta' this one.

I was once told that in a multiple confrontation (as suggested by this scenerio) taking on the biggest (usually the leader) was your best bet, if you come across as a 'little mentally deranged' it doesn't hurt your chances either...

I'm curious how this SO resolved the issue
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I would pretend I was a suicide bomber with a bomb strapped to me.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Richard Prior summed it up best in the movie with Gene Wilder. "Feet don't fail me now"
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Being out numbered is a constant given where we work. My very first friday night as the new director at our mall, I was assaulted by four Surenio's. The last management and staff never enforced any rules, so it came as a shock to these types when I started. The events surrounding the situation caused me to terminate a good amount of the staff for their lackadazical reactions to my situation. But it ended well with two of my personnel arriving to assist, and only one of the gang members fleeing successfully.

We have an array of gangs here. Mostly Surenio's, some Nortenio's, quite a few ESL's, and interestingly enough we do have Sons of Silence (to which I would never approach, as their attorney was put away for homicide a couple years ago).

I am a big anti-gang fanatic. I worked my way in to the city's gang council to help further our cause of combating such individuals.

If put in the situation where there was no communication with other officers, assitance or otherwise, I would be very cautious in dealing with them. But the one thing I have learned is that they do love to use intimidation to get their way, so if the situation can be handled tactifully while implying authority, with an ounce of appearant "respect", it tends to de-escilate their behavior. Always keeping distance from the group, finding the escilator or "spokesman" of their group would be my primary target. Whenever you deal with a large group, you find the most outspoken and assumed leader. By removing that person from the group, "group think" tends to die quickly. In some cases this situation may be futile, but you never want to set a trend of being an easy target for future reference.

Now, if I happen to not be working, and floating around, I have a pretty neat defensive mechanism that works well when you are approached by a group bent on inflicting discomfort. I like to be sick! People are alot like animals when it comes to self preservation. Start scratching yourself obsessively, cough erradically, turn your head to one side spurradically and twitch, using your eyes look around in a very jittery fashion. Stutter if needed when "trying to reply". You would be amazed how many people do not want to touch you in fear of contracting whatever it is that they are afraid of. Sort of like preditors in the wild... Dont mess with the sick birdy, or you may end up getting sick yourself!
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director View Post
            Now, if I happen to not be working, and floating around, I have a pretty neat defensive mechanism that works well when you are approached by a group bent on inflicting discomfort. I like to be sick! People are alot like animals when it comes to self preservation. Start scratching yourself obsessively, cough erradically, turn your head to one side spurradically and twitch, using your eyes look around in a very jittery fashion. Stutter if needed when "trying to reply". You would be amazed how many people do not want to touch you in fear of contracting whatever it is that they are afraid of. Sort of like preditors in the wild... Dont mess with the sick birdy, or you may end up getting sick yourself!
            LMAO, that's the truth! Don't ask me how I know, I just know. If you just happen to have a tab of Alka-Seltzer in your pocket you can start coughing like said ^^^ Palm the tab in your mouth and let the goods times "flow"!! They will never touch you, damn near guaranteed!!

Dirty shirt vs maor smack down Dirty shirt wins everytime.

No, I don't keep the Alka-Seltzer on me, I just so happened to have it on me at the right time is all...
            ~Super Ninja Sniper~
            Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Not really an answer, but I would suggest that the S/O give his head a shake and wonder what the hell he was doing working in a place that would justify his carrying a baton but his employer would not be willing to provide a radio. Seriously, if your employer is not willing to provide such basic tools as a radio, they obviously don't care about your safety and you need to find another job ASAP.

Relating to Mall Director's experience, when working security, in terms of backup no matter how many S/Os are working with you you ALWAYS have to treat situations as if you're working alone. For a variety of reasons (apathy, poor training, etc...) you should NEVER rely on another S/O to provide backup. Unfortunate but true.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo View Post
                Relating to Mall Director's experience, when working security, in terms of backup no matter how many S/Os are working with you you ALWAYS have to treat situations as if you're working alone. For a variety of reasons (apathy, poor training, etc...) you should NEVER rely on another S/O to provide backup. Unfortunate but true.
                So true. My coworker may be a 79year old retiree who takes 5 minutes to get out of his chair and walk out to the patrol unit. Another night it may be the fat girl with hoop earrings and the new press on fingernails. Or it's the little gay dude who may be fine flirting with the big burly truck drivers but isn't about to jump in when one starts kicking my butt. Nope. I'm not depending on anyone for backup.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for writing this, but such a scenario is why I always carry a pistol concealed on my person in a smartcarry, even if company policy or the law forbids it. I'm willing to bet that no gangster, regardless of how tough he pretends to be in front of his gangster buddies, is going to continue causing me trouble if he is staring down the barrel of my handgun. Sure, if anyone at the company finds out about me carrying a pistol concealed while on company time (By the way, I have a Concealed carry permit), I'll lose my job, but at least I'll be alive and unharmed. If given the choice between keeping my job and keeping myself protected at all times, I'm going to choose keeping myself protected at all times. I can always go and get a new job if I lose the one I have, but I can't go out and purchase a new life if I lose the one I have.

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
                    I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for writing this, but such a scenario is why I always carry a pistol concealed on my person in a smartcarry, even if company policy or the law forbids it. I'm willing to bet that no gangster, regardless of how tough he pretends to be in front of his gangster buddies, is going to continue causing me trouble if he is staring down the barrel of my handgun. Sure, if anyone at the company finds out about me carrying a pistol concealed while on company time (By the way, I have a Concealed carry permit), I'll lose my job, but at least I'll be alive and unharmed. If given the choice between keeping my job and keeping myself protected at all times, I'm going to choose keeping myself protected at all times. I can always go and get a new job if I lose the one Ihave, but I can't go out and purchase a new life if I lose the one I have.
                    True, but in this state it won't be in Security. You'll be committing at the very least a First Degree Misdemeanor, punishable by loss of license for up to 5 years, up to 1 year in jail, and a up to a $5,000 fine. Not sure what the charge would be just for the concealed weapon. Here while on duty, your CCW is null and void. It don't mean jack.

Actually got bored and looked, Carrying a concealed firearm is a Third Degree Felony, punishable by imprisonment of up to 5 years.
                    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

I have heard the "faking you are sick" defense before. (Pretend you are are having a heart attack, seizure etc). I would however probably not lie down on the ground.

Fortunately for me gangs are not problems in my hotels. Hotels once in a while rent banquet salons for their dances but in my xase the halls are run by a third party who provides his own security. In the past 5 years we have only had one of these dances. The problems we had then was the hotel guests who complained about the security tha were dresses like SWAT at the entrance to the hotel.

As for working without a radio I have seen worse. The company I work for once owned a shopping mall. I save money they cut the security staff from 3 to 1. Next they moved the management to their head office, freeing up space at the mall that they could rent. They left the solo Security officer with a walkie-talkie "as a deterient, but that could not contact anybody
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Yes, you're right, but at least I'll be alive. Furthermore, if used in self defense, no jury is going to send me to jail for defending myself, regardless of what the law says about how and when I'm required to carry a gun, PERIOD! All in all, while the letter of the law might be on the side of the criminal , the jury will be on mine .

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                        True, but in this state it won't be in Security. You'll be committing at the very least a First Degree Misdemeanor, punishable by loss of license for up to 5 years, up to 1 year in jail, and a up to a $5,000 fine. Not sure what the charge would be just for the concealed weapon. Here while on duty, your CCW is null and void. It don't mean jack.

Actually got bored and looked, Carrying a concealed firearm is a Third Degree Felony, punishable by imprisonment of up to 5 years.

Comment

For the security officer ,He had a radio but it never work because his reliefs never charged the silly puppy. There where guard at the bus station he was there back up ,because he work the building next to the bus station,But guards never showed up so he was responsible for those two buildings and guess what four more,loll and back then he only made $5.50.

That day he went to the bus station every hour to deal with noise the gang was making and quite them down the year was 1984 if that helps.

When it was time to close the bus station doors he came in and the gang was there he went up to the leader and inform him he and his buds had to leave. The leaders, guards where beside him to protect him from any harm and the army surrounded the officer.....If he did carry a weapon he would never get it out of his holster or if it was concealed he would have no chance getting it out They were watching his hands.

Anyways the leader informed the officer he was going to die that night ,( mall Director) had the right one .

The officer standing there look around and then back at the leader and said to him if I die tonight so will you,you will hit the ground before they even touch me,your guards will not have a chance to stop me, you decide is it a good night to die?

The officer found he had the upper hand and he ran with it, he inform the leader his army will leave ,so the leader informed his army to go, then the officer inform the leader his guards to leave and they left. The he informed the leader to leave and do not return.

The next day and a week after wards the officer in question was harassed by gangs driving by in there cars even with the officer was off duty telling him he was going to die, The officer remarks to this was to scream back at them and say, and they will never find your body's either,after awhile they considered the officer was crazy and left him alone.

The leader lost his position as leader the gang broke up and most of them became security officers and one went to jail for murdering a a man and his wife. just so you know what happen to the gang.

Comment

My advise is to look into your state gang investigators association. In Oklahoma The Oklahoma gang investigators association have classes that security can attend. I am certified in gang interaction and gang awareness and identifiers. I work in low income housing so I deal with gangs all the time. The # 1 thing that i have found out about working around gangs is to never show fear and dont let them selfs get their bluff in on you. You have to act just as cocky as they do, but at the same time try and make friends (or at least let them think you are their friends). The way i Have it is there are a few Gang members that i know that i have let them slip away on very small misdemeanor crimes, like trespassing so that they can go take their mom some food or grandma some medicine, but I let them know right away that if they screw up royaly i will deal with them like i would any one else. Then if the brown stuff hits the fan and some of them are calling you out, you at least have a couple on your side that will tell the rest not to screw with you. This could work good in your situation, being unarmed with no comunication. Now where i work we do things to the major gang bangers that we know, like walk up and put ar arm around them real quick and joke with them, when they laugh, the partner pulls up a digital camera and snaps a picture of us. End result, the picture looks like the banger is our friend and is joking with us and he knows if any one sees the picture that they will think he is snitching. LOL. And if any gang related crimes happen we just ask, if he is uncooperative, we remind him of the picture
                            sigpic

Comment

We identified everyone on our property, as a condition of remaining on our property. They got the hint quickly: We know who you are. If you're cool, we're cool. If you're not, by the time we walk back from the car, we know everything about you and have a trespass warning already written - all the cop has to do is sign it.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X