Hmmm, slightly difficult situation here...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashlightcop509
    • Jan 2006

Hmmm, slightly difficult situation here...

Not in my eyes, but....

here's the story; I show up for shift tonight, and one of my Officers says he has some info to pass along to me... OK, what is it says I...

My Officer had been approached by an employee of our client, and stated that she had some information regarding a current Officer at our post; Come to find out that the Officer in question had been seing the Female client employee, during Duty hours, and had gone as far as picking her up from her job in the hotel and taking her with him on his out of area patrols, and according to her, "kissing, holding hands, going into secure buildings together" and according to what one of my Officers stated, seemed to imply doing way more than "holding hands" on several occasions while still on client property...

So, I tell this Officer to approach the employee and have her fill out and sign a statement as a physical document; After a time (about 45 minutes), I contact my Officer and he tells me she is so upset over the whole thing that she refuses to provide a written statement, assumingly due to embarrassment or pending repercussions...

See, the Officer the employee was fooling around with already had a Girlfriend, and she found out about it and was taken aback, to say the least...

This apparently would explain why my Officer would go out 10-44 but never call it over the radio, but would call 10-45 once he returned; According to her verbal statement, he would pick her up someplace with a lot of cars in the area, and would not radio that he was leaving his immediate patrol area, presumably to give himself that much more leeway as far as time constraints...

Once this hotel employee found out that he did in fact have a current Girlfriend, she had a bit of a meltown (expectedly...), and spilled the beans...

Myself and the other Team Leader were pretty much hit broadside with this info, so naturally we did the next thing; Contact your immediate supervisor...

As the investigation into this Officer's practices are ongoing, I'm not entirely sure how this thing may go.... BUT...

If the decision were entirely up to me, the Officer in question would have less than 24 hrs. to come to the office and turn in his uniforms and equipment; Something about "Conduct Unbecoming", falsifying documents (since he had stated he had done interior building patrols when he had not), ethics issues, and the simple fact that the Officer for all intents and purposes, can no longer be trusted to discharge his duties in the best interests of the Client and the Company...

Personally, and IMHO, this Officer would have exactly 24 hours to return whatever equipment was issued to him, and find another line of work; Another thing that frightens me is that only current employees are authorized to be in our Company vehicles... I can just imagine the debacle that would/could arise from a traffic accident involving a client employee riding in the same vehicle as our Officer does...
    Last edited by flashlightcop509; 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM.
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"
  • Andy Taylor
    • Oct 2006

Assuming the aligations are true, I agree with your assessment as to what should happen to the officer. My next step would be to confront the officer directly, and see what his story is. Is there any surveillence footage of any of the areas in question?
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

• Bern Wheaton
      • Jul 2007

Right now your going on here say ,you can't judge him until you get his story or the one with the complaint to come fourth and write it down.

Comment

• K-9 Aussie
        • Oct 2006

Is it possible to suspend him from duty immediately, pending a full and proper investigation into the allergation/s made? That way it gives you time to investigate the mater and get all the evidence you require incase he takes legal action himself against his employer for unfair dismissal etc?
        A well trained dog is worth 10 men!

I can recall my dog, but I can never recall a fired bullet!

Would you prefer me to use the dog, the Glock, the baton or the O.C. spray? It's your health insurance so you decide. Alternatively there is always the handcuffs, followed by the Police with the court house preceeding rapidly after. Now which service would you like me to utilise

Comment

• BadBoynMD
          • Feb 2007

Welp, my companies policy states that a written complaint must be filled out, signed AND notarized. If a person goes as far as to have all this done, specially on a legal document, then there maybe cause to pursue a investigation. If not, then oh well. We're all human and feelings happen. However, certain professional lines shouldn't be crossed. Sounds like playa-playa needs a good arse chewing behind closed doors.
          "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
            • Mar 2006

Am I reading this right? A woman who finds her boyfriend is two timing her goes to his work & makes these claims, then refuses to put it in writing? If I am reading correctly I would be very very very careful about disaplining the Officer. I don't know how the labour laws are where you are but here making an accusation like that could cost the company a lot.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• JB diligence
              • Jun 2006

I suggest as Bern said getting his side, then if he admits to the accusation I believe a suspension is in order.

The point is the officer gave someone access where she was not to be, how well does he know her? What might she be looking for? This is a huge breach of OPSEC and needs to be addressed.
              I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

• Christopherstjo
                • Apr 2007

Of course, it could also be that she found out that he has a girlfriend, got up set because she wanted him; decided to make up the story and so on and so on. Personally, without an actual statement I would not take any action; at least with a written / signed statement the story has more credibility.

Comment

• BoyInBlue
                  • Apr 2007

What is this 5th grade? Grow a pair and talk to the guy. I'll help you:

YOU: Hey Billy are you messing around with Jane?
                  BILLY: Ummm... yea we're seeing each other.
                  YOU: OK. Well you need to knock it off, or do it on your own time, someone complained.

LOL: signed affidavit... notarized... 3 witness signatures. Get off your high horse.
                  Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

• ValleyOne
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BadBoynMD
                    Welp, my companies policy states that a written complaint must be filled out, signed AND notarized. If a person goes as far as to have all this done, specially on a legal document, then there maybe cause to pursue a investigation. If not, then oh well. We're all human and feelings happen. However, certain professional lines shouldn't be crossed. Sounds like playa-playa needs a good arse chewing behind closed doors.
                    So unless someone jumps threw all these hoops your company won't get off it's arse to do anything? Nothing like throwing up a wall for a complaintant to climb over.

Does your company know that there may be repercussions that could arise from neglecting verbal complaints? Ever hear of Vicarious Liability? Or, does a Verbal Complaint have to be Notorized as well?

I agree he needs to be sat down given a talking to. Then based on what you learn take appropriate action.

Me personally, I would fire his a$$ if he admitted to leaving his assigned area, false reports, anything misleading and/or dishonest.

Don't most companies have policy that states basically no employee shall create and/or maintain a personal (intimate???) relationship with any of our clients? IE, DO NOT Fraternize with clients...
                    ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                    Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

• Maelstrom
                      • Jul 2007

Fact is people do make unfounded allegations whether for revenge or just being spiteful, you really do need to hear this other Officer's version of events before any punitive measures take place...

As somebody has already suggested, is there any CCTV footage from the site's this Officer was allegedly acting unprofessionally?
                      Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM.
                      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

• Christopherstjo
                        • Apr 2007

I believe the issue needs to be addressed even if only to make it clear to the Officer that a complaint has been filed and [if] he did not do anything then he might want to be extra careful so as not to be in situations where she might make further allegations against him. On the other hand [if] he did do this, then he clearly knows that its' now common knowledge and he had better knock it off.

I would not approach it in an accusatory manner; simply state the facts and see what he has to say. However, I do not prescribe to the notion that just because a man is accused of sexual harassment he must be guilty because he is a man. Unfortuately, this is can be a problem men face when being accused of such serious offenses with little to no evidence (other than an mere allegation) backing up the allegation and companies can sometimes fall prey to the pitfall of over-reacting when such allegations are made.

Sexual harassment does not occur, however, where both parties were willing participants in the situation and clearly she was - she got ticked off only because she found out that he was already with someone and that [appears] to be the basis of her making the allegations, not because she [appears] to genuinely feel she was sexually harassed - based on what I read from the initial post.
                        Last edited by Christopherstjo; 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Christopherstjo
                          I believe the issue needs to be addressed even if only to make it clear to the Officer that a complaint has been filed and [if] he did not do anything then he might want to be extra careful so as not to be in situations where she might make further allegations against him. On the other hand [if] he did do this, then he clearly knows that its' now common knowledge and he had better knock it off.

I would not approach it in an accusatory manner; simply state the facts and see what he has to say. However, I do not prescribe to the notion that just because a man is accused of sexual harassment he must be guilty because he is a man. Unfortuately, this is can be a problem men face when being accused of such serious offenses with little to no evidence (other than an mere allegation) backing up the allegation and companies can sometimes fall prey to the pitfall of over-reacting when such allegations are made.

Sexual harassment does not occur, however, where both parties were willing participants in the situation and clearly she was - she got ticked off only because she found out that he was already with someone and that [appears] to be the basis of her making the allegations, not because she [appears] to genuinely feel she was sexually harassed - based on what I read from the initial post.

Amazingly enough, I agree with this completely.
                          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

• Bern Wheaton
                            • Jul 2007

Well I have a question ,if your a team leader which means your in charge, and myself If i was in charge of this guy and didn't want to make it like I wasn't doing my job as a team leader why didn't you go ask him first ,talk with him,instead of going up the ladder with it,isn't it better to take care of the problem as a leader, see if it is true and if it is go from there?

There are so many options you could have done,unless your hands are tied as a team leader.

For being a supervisor at any site or post which ever, you do not take sides you are there for you people and must investigate it ,then if it is true and he knows the post orders deal with it then.

Isn't there someone to check up on the guys there?

Comment

• EMTGuard
                              • Nov 2005

One of the things brought up in ICS/NIMS training is the move to drop use of 10 Codes in favor of plain speech. Why? Because the 10 codes are not universal.
                              While you may know what 10-44 and 10-45 means but the rest of us are left guessing. Follow the lead of Fire and Police agencies and drop the 10 codes.
                              Thanks.
                              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...