• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Taktiq

Are you going to give us a copy fo your 10 codes so we know what you are saying?
    Sorry bout that...around here a "10-90" is an officer welfare check. We'd usually reply "10-91" if everything was ok. Possibly an Oklahoma thing as DPS (Dept of Public Safety), I believe, uses this code for the same thing as well.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Nextel without group mode, no shoulder mic. Batteries last about three hours. I'd really be nervous if I didnt have my own cell phone for backup. My site is pretty quiet. I'm sure I'd really hate it if I had to use it a lot.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I remember hearing about that. Something to the tune of 100 radios times .20 per key up, and the employees using them like normal radios.

My old company also had Nextels, without group mode.

Nextels are worthless in a site or patrol setting without a Group mode.

Now days, however, each radio can be given unlimited group minutes. No more "how many times did they key up?!"

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Midnitepatrol is absolutely correct. Group mode is quite expensive. Private mode is less costly, but creates other problems. I had a situation where I had a uncooperative subject I wanted to trespass. I had to scroll down to locate our OPS center to call for local LE. Then, I had to scroll down the list to locate my closest back up officer to get him to respond. All the while, I have a combative subject just feet away. Furthermore, the shoulder mics on the Nextels we were issued attached to the bottom of the handheld which accidentally disconnected at times and when you wanted to use your shoulder mic, you couldn't. Some officers had to resort to using rubber bands to secure the mics to the unit. Extremely unprofessional looking and bad for officer safety. After approximately 1 month, we were back to out old radios. That was about 5 or 6 years ago or so.

Be safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• tattedupboy
    replied
    Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
    my concern is having the dang little pHone light up everytime I hit the PTT and then I am glowing in the dark letting everyone know where I am.

WHAT THE DUECE?!?

Would this not be a concern with regular cell phones also? Anyway, I don't have a Nextel of my own, but I have noticed that most Nextel phones have a holster that fits the phone in such a way that the back of the phone is what is exposed, and you can't see the front until the phone is removed from the holster.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    Originally posted by Taktiq View Post
    where's my 10-90 check
    Just a little reminder;

We all don't live and work near you and most likely have no idea as to your 10 Codes, please use plain ole free speach.

Besides, it won't make you look like a super ninja

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    I'm thinking for me the Nextell issue isn't worth the hassle. In my limited usage of the radio/cell phone it is just too ackward. I totally prefer grabbing a radio turning the little knob, hearing the BEEP and knowing that each and everytime I key it up it will go out to everyone.

Call me old fashioned or what not, but I feel there are too enough things that can go wrong why make the job even more complicated (am I on channel 1 group 2 or channel 2 group 1???) I cite that example as it is a current problem I have seen. I don't like the idea of some schmo being able to listen in (or screw with) just because he/she/it has a neato Nextel.

I truely appreciate everyone's input, but I think I will seek batwings (Motorola's) before going anywhere with these contraptions.

When using a radio it shouldn't have to be set up each and every night. If I need to hold a private conversation with someone, I will use a cell or land line.

Aside from a huge personal issue with Nextell's compromising the new public safety freq range, anyone else aware of this issue in their neck of the woods? I've heard horror stories of Police Officer's going out on a traffic stop, then a few seconds later try to send out a call for cover and becuase Nextell is on a similar freq range, an officer three blocks away working on his reports doesn't hear the call for help-nor did anyone else including dispatch.

Who know's maybe they fixed that, but thanks again to all.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Taktiq

Are you going to give us a copy fo your 10 codes so we know what you are saying?

Leave a comment:

• badge212
    replied
    Policy and service issues aside it is unfortunate for us you can't walk over each others transmissions. Normally this is a good thing but when someone is transmitting on the group channel and you need to break in during an emergency it can be a big problem especially in a hospital.

It's also proved a problem that each hospital in our region is on a different type of radio system, not just frequencies. Most use regular motorolas but some (like us) use nextels. Now that the regional advisory committee is trying to make an intra agency communications link rather than having a unified frequency (Which would work if we all used radios) some have to buy into a radio system in addition to their nextels.

to quote davis002 "The i355 has a feature called "Direct Talk". It's an off-network two-way radio system. The ranges are said to be up to 3.5 miles of clear coverage over water, 1.04 miles through trees, and 0.78 miles through buildings. Not very helpful if your radios are spread over a city, but if you are close (same site) it will help

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    The problem was that SUPERVISORS would be chit-chatting with dispatch or even the owner (where's my 10-90 check?!). As far as utilizing various features, I never could find group talk...found a Tetris demo though, yay!...and I had to learn how to use the dang thing while in the field.
    That's the problem... without "Group Talk" the Nextels are nothing more than a cell phone.

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by davis002 View Post
    The problems you noted are problems with policy and service coverage. We get far better reception and service coverage than any traditional radio service available on the market. It sounds like you were not utilizing the group talk feature, which can be used as a "dispatch". Your company should of reminded everyone that the radios are not to be used for idle chatter.
    The problem was that SUPERVISORS would be chit-chatting with dispatch or even the owner (where's my 10-90 check?!). As far as utilizing various features, I never could find group talk...found a Tetris demo though, yay!...and I had to learn how to use the dang thing while in the field.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    I left a company about a couple months ago because of the nextels (ironically a company owned by a former police officer). To put it mildly, I say f*** them! Why?

-The time it takes to contact someone during an incident.
    -Constantly losing signals.
    -Problems contacting someone if they're having a "chat" with someone else.

I'd worked various different jobs, including security, where we utilized standard 2-way radios (mostly Motorola) and the only problem I ever encountered was a low/dead battery which could be easily changed out. One company I worked for used #1 as an open channel which everyone could hear and supervisors(on patrol)/dispatch monitored. #2 would be a secure channel in case supervisors or dispatch wanted to talk to you, etc.

I say all SO's should boycott being issued nextels. I can't tell ya how many times I tried to call out a simple 10-8 when I started a shift and found I couldn't raise a single person....what if I had needed help? Nextels are potentially dangerous IMO.
    The problems you noted are problems with policy and service coverage. We get far better reception and service coverage than any traditional radio service available on the market. It sounds like you were not utilizing the group talk feature, which can be used as a "dispatch". Your company should of reminded everyone that the radios are not to be used for idle chatter.

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    I left a company about a couple months ago because of the nextels (ironically a company owned by a former police officer). To put it mildly, I say f*** them! Why?

-The time it takes to contact someone during an incident.
    -Constantly losing signals.
    -Problems contacting someone if they're having a "chat" with someone else.

I'd worked various different jobs, including security, where we utilized standard 2-way radios (mostly Motorola) and the only problem I ever encountered was a low/dead battery which could be easily changed out. One company I worked for used #1 as an open channel which everyone could hear and supervisors(on patrol)/dispatch monitored. #2 would be a secure channel in case supervisors or dispatch wanted to talk to you, etc.

I say all SO's should boycott being issued nextels. I can't tell ya how many times I tried to call out a simple 10-8 when I started a shift and found I couldn't raise a single person....what if I had needed help? Nextels are potentially dangerous IMO.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
    I know a couple of you folks have remarked on the use of Nextell's with a shoulder mic. How the heck does this work? Please explain, my concern is having the dang little pHone light up everytime I hit the PTT and then I am glowing in the dark letting everyone know where I am.

Also, is it possible to set up the Nextell so that you can use the Group Cal or whatever it's called only by hittitng the PTT, ot prior to your shift start do you hve set the phone up each and every time? Please ellucidate on this contraption...

WHAT THE DUECE?!?
    This is exactly what we use. We use the Nextel i355 with speaker mics (light-duty rsm will run around $50, heavy-duty rsm will run around $125). The concern with the phone lighting up is, in my opinion, a non-issue. It's not that bright and you can disable it, but I don't recommend disabling it completely. You can set it up so the backlight will only stay on for a couple seconds after use.

Unfortunately, you cannot setup one-touch PTT for groups. All you have to do is make sure that you are still on that group when you start your shift. If someone private calls your radio, just go back to the group by selecting the group and hitting the PTT. The battery life is pretty decent. You can easily get a couple days between charges with moderate use.

A nice feature with the i355. Let's say you get a natural disaster that wipes out the Nextel service. The i355 has a feature called "Direct Talk". It's an off-network two-way radio system. The ranges are said to be up to 3.5 miles of clear coverage over water, 1.04 miles through trees, and 0.78 miles through buildings. Not very helpful is your radios are spread over a city, but if you are close (same site) it will help.

The i355 also has built-in GPS. Not a cheap service, but useful for patrol operations. All in all, it's not bad. It's digital and far more reliable than any 400 Mhz radio service.

Leave a comment:

• junkyarddog
    replied
    Originally posted by midnitepatrol View Post
    My boss has us on the nextell, but he refuses to use the group mode on them because it costs more money, so whenever you are in a fight you have to fight the suspect, find the number of the officer you are trying to reach, then hit the ptt and get a hold of some one, all while still trying to fight the suspect, then if some one else is in trouble and they are trying to get ahold of one of us and we are talking they cant even get through to tell us, the phone just beeps back at them.I think we have pretty much convinced him to go back to the radios.
    We have nextells also. I would rather have radios (for a million good reasons) but we make due. What we do is make DISPATCH the phone that the PTT goes to with only a single click of the PTT button.

Dispatch knowing where every S/O is at all times, if we PTT and simply yell "911!", he dispatches another mobile patrol unit to the location and then calls the actual police to request assistance/report crime in progress at that location. We also use and enforce the "5 second" rule. Dispatch can't have their cell tied up for more than 5 seconds at a time. Conversations longer than 5 seconds have to be held over the dispatch land line.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X