Nextel Radio's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taktiq

Are you going to give us a copy fo your 10 codes so we know what you are saying?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I'm thinking for me the Nextell issue isn't worth the hassle. In my limited usage of the radio/cell phone it is just too ackward. I totally prefer grabbing a radio turning the little knob, hearing the BEEP and knowing that each and everytime I key it up it will go out to everyone.

Call me old fashioned or what not, but I feel there are too enough things that can go wrong why make the job even more complicated (am I on channel 1 group 2 or channel 2 group 1???) I cite that example as it is a current problem I have seen. I don't like the idea of some schmo being able to listen in (or screw with) just because he/she/it has a neato Nextel.

I truely appreciate everyone's input, but I think I will seek batwings (Motorola's) before going anywhere with these contraptions.

When using a radio it shouldn't have to be set up each and every night. If I need to hold a private conversation with someone, I will use a cell or land line.

Aside from a huge personal issue with Nextell's compromising the new public safety freq range, anyone else aware of this issue in their neck of the woods? I've heard horror stories of Police Officer's going out on a traffic stop, then a few seconds later try to send out a call for cover and becuase Nextell is on a similar freq range, an officer three blocks away working on his reports doesn't hear the call for help-nor did anyone else including dispatch.

Who know's maybe they fixed that, but thanks again to all.
      ~Super Ninja Sniper~
      Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by Taktiq View Post
        where's my 10-90 check
        Just a little reminder;

We all don't live and work near you and most likely have no idea as to your 10 Codes, please use plain ole free speach.

Besides, it won't make you look like a super ninja
        ~Super Ninja Sniper~
        Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
          my concern is having the dang little pHone light up everytime I hit the PTT and then I am glowing in the dark letting everyone know where I am.

WHAT THE DUECE?!?

Would this not be a concern with regular cell phones also? Anyway, I don't have a Nextel of my own, but I have noticed that most Nextel phones have a holster that fits the phone in such a way that the back of the phone is what is exposed, and you can't see the front until the phone is removed from the holster.

Comment

Midnitepatrol is absolutely correct. Group mode is quite expensive. Private mode is less costly, but creates other problems. I had a situation where I had a uncooperative subject I wanted to trespass. I had to scroll down to locate our OPS center to call for local LE. Then, I had to scroll down the list to locate my closest back up officer to get him to respond. All the while, I have a combative subject just feet away. Furthermore, the shoulder mics on the Nextels we were issued attached to the bottom of the handheld which accidentally disconnected at times and when you wanted to use your shoulder mic, you couldn't. Some officers had to resort to using rubber bands to secure the mics to the unit. Extremely unprofessional looking and bad for officer safety. After approximately 1 month, we were back to out old radios. That was about 5 or 6 years ago or so.

Be safe,

Hank
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I remember hearing about that. Something to the tune of 100 radios times .20 per key up, and the employees using them like normal radios.

My old company also had Nextels, without group mode.

Nextels are worthless in a site or patrol setting without a Group mode.

Now days, however, each radio can be given unlimited group minutes. No more "how many times did they key up?!"
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Nextel without group mode, no shoulder mic. Batteries last about three hours. I'd really be nervous if I didnt have my own cell phone for backup. My site is pretty quiet. I'm sure I'd really hate it if I had to use it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                  Taktiq

Are you going to give us a copy fo your 10 codes so we know what you are saying?
                  Sorry bout that...around here a "10-90" is an officer welfare check. We'd usually reply "10-91" if everything was ok. Possibly an Oklahoma thing as DPS (Dept of Public Safety), I believe, uses this code for the same thing as well.
                  ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X