X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
    Ohh..so that's what that large gathering was at the park last night in the middle of the site.

Funny how management didn't tell us anything about it.
    That sounds about right. It doesn't involve security from the property manager's point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Just_Some_Guy
    replied
    Ohh..so that's what that large gathering was at the park last night in the middle of the site.

Funny how management didn't tell us anything about it.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Nice pics Davis. That is impressive.

Be safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    In many cases, this becomes a "I do not believe that you are doing your job" issue. Some folks resent the idea of having a man with a gun walking around their property. In some cases, it is indeed true that they resent a white man with a gun on their property "like he the po-po."

From what I've seen, these kinds of folks do not actually care about the property issues, they simply see it as a way to justify thinking themselves superior to the security guard.

I've noticed its also usually women who do this, for some odd reason. The men in the complex usually would say something. The women, on the other hand, would not actually care about X or Y's car being broken into. They would scream about how "we don't do our jobs," but the second enforcement action is required against them it turns into "You get away from me or I'll kill you, you ain't got no right to interefere, you ain't the police."

This actually happened within the span of five minutes. A woman complained her "baby-daddy's" car was stolen. He parked it under a no-parking sign on the median adjacent to our property.

Within three minutes later, there was a fight call between 4 male teens and her. She had a baseball bat, and was taking swings at them. Due to our post orders, all we were able to do was draw down on her when she said she'd kill us and to leave, then let her walk away - our post orders reminded us of Florida Statute in that we could only use force to protect ourselves or others, not to make arrests.
    I have experienced similar circumstances that you described above. You are once again absolutely correct. We inform the residents constantly, that as representatives of Management, we are NOT on property to protect thier personal belonging i.e. cars, bbq grills on their patio or their children's bikes left in the common areas. We protect our clients (Property Management) property. However, if we see something suspicious, we will notify the appropriate authorities. And, that someone riding off on a bike does not give us the authority to detain the subject ect., ect., ect. We will get a physical/clothing description and direction of travel for local LE. It's a tough job, no doubt about it. Most of the individuals we deal with would rather do us harm than be of any help. There some good people I do come in contact with from time to time. And, those good people are the reasons why I suit up everyday. Sounds corny huh? But, it is what it is.....

Be safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    Very good question! I often wonder about that myself. I think money is a huge factor. One of the biggest hurddles is getting the tenants/residents interested enough about their own community to participate. When I respond to call for service because of theft/burglary ect., ect., the first question asked is always "where was security when....!?!". Then they go into..." I saw this happen last night and....". "Those kids always breaking......" I respond by asking them, "why didn't you call?" Almost always, they respond with " It ain't none of my business". I often tell the residents....I can't see your apartment from my house. Look, I don't have to live there, they do. They have to want to help themselves.

Be safe,

Hank
    In many cases, this becomes a "I do not believe that you are doing your job" issue. Some folks resent the idea of having a man with a gun walking around their property. In some cases, it is indeed true that they resent a white man with a gun on their property "like he the po-po."

From what I've seen, these kinds of folks do not actually care about the property issues, they simply see it as a way to justify thinking themselves superior to the security guard.

I've noticed its also usually women who do this, for some odd reason. The men in the complex usually would say something. The women, on the other hand, would not actually care about X or Y's car being broken into. They would scream about how "we don't do our jobs," but the second enforcement action is required against them it turns into "You get away from me or I'll kill you, you ain't got no right to interefere, you ain't the police."

This actually happened within the span of five minutes. A woman complained her "baby-daddy's" car was stolen. He parked it under a no-parking sign on the median adjacent to our property.

Within three minutes later, there was a fight call between 4 male teens and her. She had a baseball bat, and was taking swings at them. Due to our post orders, all we were able to do was draw down on her when she said she'd kill us and to leave, then let her walk away - our post orders reminded us of Florida Statute in that we could only use force to protect ourselves or others, not to make arrests.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    CAREFUL!!!
    What? Truth be hurting.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    What I mean is, why aren't more companies using this as part of their crime reduction efforts on residential properties.

I know that at least some apartment and property management clients actually expect a reduction in crime when they hire a security guard for their property.
    Very good question! I often wonder about that myself. I think money is a huge factor. One of the biggest hurddles is getting the tenants/residents interested enough about their own community to participate. When I respond to call for service because of theft/burglary ect., ect., the first question asked is always "where was security when....!?!". Then they go into..." I saw this happen last night and....". "Those kids always breaking......" I respond by asking them, "why didn't you call?" Almost always, they respond with " It ain't none of my business". I often tell the residents....I can't see your apartment from my house. Look, I don't have to live there, they do. They have to want to help themselves.

Be safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Echos13 View Post
    To many liberals, pacifists,
    CAREFUL!!!

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    It's pretty much a failure where I live. To many liberals, pacifists, cowards and people part of the problem. No matter what organization is involved. When you have people like this in your community it's a lost cause after a while. Myself and maybe two others really care around here. But in the politically correct county of Polk your out numbered and are a lone voice in the storm.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I have worked every National Night Out night for the last few years, so I havent participated in anything really.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    cool. I get so jealous of you guys who have real patrol cars with professional looking decals and lighting. I get a minivan with a minibar which blows the fuse in the lighter plug half the time you plug it in.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    Well, National Night Out was a huge success for one of our clients. The weather was perfect (it rained last year), and everyone had a great time. Here is a sampling of the pictures we took throughout the evening.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    What I mean is, why aren't more companies using this as part of their crime reduction efforts on residential properties.

I know that at least some apartment and property management clients actually expect a reduction in crime when they hire a security guard for their property.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Because we are all busy working nights?
    True, so true. I'm working 7 nights in a row this week. I May get a night off Monday, Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I wonder why more security agencies aren't involved in this event.
    Because we are all busy working nights?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X