• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I think the college kept it around for federal and DOJ grant money. Remember, every college has to have a DPS or security department who collects UCR data for the college......
    You "hit the nail right on the head." As has been pointed out before regarding WBC's: "We are here for insurance purposes only. For real emergencies, dial 911."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    Wal-Mart greeters seem to have more meaningful occupation than does your organization.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Hey, another value-added service!! I'll have to submit this idea in our employee suggestion box. I'm sure to get a bonus now.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    what did exelsior uniforms run batou?
    Depends on the era.

When our friends at Harrison's Uniforms were around, before someone torched the store, the company bought Flechmeyer Command Shirts (Short Sleeve), at 35.00 a pop. The pants were 65.00 a pop, Flechmeyer. Stripe was an added 5.00. Yep, we wore red stripes. You can still tell old timers by their red stripes. I was probally the last, though.

Now days, unless they changed vendors, the shirts are about 25 dollars, 100% Rayon, and the pants are about 17.00. They get them through Uniform Warehouse out of California. That's why I'm not afraid to buy uniforms from Quartermasters in 100% Poly or Poly/Cotton. I have worn them myself, these cheap uniforms, and you CAN make them look good. I'm also stupid enough to write up care and use instructions, and either find a dry cleaner to purchase gift certificates (One DC a month will restore the uniforms), or give people 8 bucks a month to DC their uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I think the college kept it around for federal and DOJ grant money. Remember, every college has to have a DPS or security department who collects UCR data for the college.

I hate to say it, Bill, but this guy's former job - after peace officer status was removed, sounds like every warm body security company's mission I've seen. Seriously. The two up here, I'm sure the Racine guys can back me up about KPP and Schmitt: They are there to observe and report, and that's it. Do not confront, etc.

Your mission is to walk around, write in a daily activity log, and call 911 if something happens. You are NOT to become involved.

This means, for the company: 85 dollar uniforms. 20.00 per month cell phone contract per client, IF they pay for a cell phone (If not, oh well, no phone. My contract says observe and report to client, not call 911.) 5.25 to 6.00 in pay. And pay 95.00 to the state for their license.

I'd already have the security company open for business and bidding on contracts if I wanted one of those WBS. I'd need about a 100,000 dollar bond on the company, and boom, I'm ready to get the PI agency license and open the doors for warm body security.

If anyone wonders why its taking me so long, its because I don't want to run a warm body company. If I did, I'd open a temp agency - its alot less liability for me. Good people, good equipment, etc, cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I actually worked a post that was Observe and Report Only. We were not allowed to do jack. If you did, the client pulled you immediately. You weren't even allowed to wear a company radio, it confused the manager that you MAY have authority.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    HistFan71. I do not mean to be rude, but what do you folks really do? No enforcement powers and what else was taken away?
    One has to suppose the lack of response from a "public safety" organization has been cleared with the local police since they will respond to your call or anyone on campus. Sounds like something is a screwed up. Hopefully my take on this is wrong.
    Wal-Mart greeters seem to have more meaningful occupation than does your organization.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Bill,

No I don't think your question is rude. I no longer work for the college, but the situation when I left (in 2003) was that "public safety" officers were to observe and report.

So if an officer saw a crime being committed, or someone reported a crime to an officer, that officer was to call the local police. The officer was not to take any direct action to stop or prevent the offender. The police would respond and take whatever action they felt appropriate.

The officers could write an "incident report" on any violations of the college's rules, regulations, and Code of Conduct which would get forwarded to the Dean of Students for action. What would be the Dean's reaction to these reports, you ask? Not much! The student might get assessed a small fine and a stern warning not to do it again. As you can imagine, the students did not take college discipline very seriously.

Your comment about Wal-Mart greeters was pretty close to the mark. The officers still patrol to be a "visual deterent", can still write parking citations, and can write "incident reports" but cannot make arrests. If an arrest is necessary the police must be called. When we were security and then the police we did not carry firearms but did carry batons, OC, handcuffs, and a radio. When we were downgraded to "public safety" everything but the radio was taken away. In my opinion the only reason the college even kept us around was to make the parents feel better about turning their children over to the college. I won't reveal the name of the college, but it was in a VERY bad neighborhood in Long Beach, CA. The surrounding community had a high crime rate, and most of the arrests we made on the campus were not students (although we arrested a few) but neighborhood thugs who thought the campus was an easy target.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why?[/QUOTE]

There were several reasons, but the main one was money. The college was spending WAY too much money than it wanted to on training courses for the officers. The majority of these courses were mandated by the state legislature for peace officers. Also, it was not just the cost of the courses themselves. It was the OT paid to officers covering for those officers who were attending classes.

Another major reason was that many students complained the department was too aggressive giving citations and making arrests, so the administration caved in to the naysayers. Shows where their priorities were.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    HistFan71. I do not mean to be rude, but what do you folks really do? No enforcement powers and what else was taken away?
    One has to suppose the lack of response from a "public safety" organization has been cleared with the local police since they will respond to your call or anyone on campus. Sounds like something is a screwed up. Hopefully my take on this is wrong.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by histfan71
    While we were security, we wore tan shirts and pants similar to the California Highway Patrol. People used to mistake us for soliders or park rangers and we got little respect from the college community or the general public..
    I'll trade you mine for those.

Originally posted by histfan71

Unfortuneatly the department lost it's peace officer powers after two years and became a "public safety" agency....
    Why?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M

Hi Guys:

Some in depth studies have been done on the uniform topic including ones done by the DOJ, as a Security Officer your more likely to be confronted and physically assaulted while wearing a blazer then a hard look military type uniform. The problem is most companies will not spend money of high end quality uniforms, one uniform set should cost about $300.00, by the time you add in the extras like badge holder, citations, collar insg, whistle and hook, duty belt, cuffs, cases, etc. Your looking at about $900.00 for a professional uniform, jackets, and such. We use the same rain coats as police do that run about $125.00 black outside orange inside. The uniform is powerful and can send different messages to people who view it. Here is a good article on the topic I hope you enjoy.

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...rticles/99417/
    I used to work for a private college in California that upgraded from a security agency to a police department.

While we were security, we wore tan shirts and pants similar to the California Highway Patrol. People used to mistake us for soliders or park rangers and we got little respect from the college community or the general public.

When we became a police department we changed our uniforms to the LAPD-style dark blue shirts and pants and it made a BIG difference. The students and the public were much quicker to comply with us and the smart-ass park ranger comments disappeared. We were quickly viewed by the college, community, and the local police as a comptetent and professional agency.

Unfortuneatly the department lost it's peace officer powers after two years and became a "public safety" agency. Basically back to the private security they were before. But the college did not want the department to present a military or police-like image. They went to a black polo shirt with embroidered insignia (metal badges are now against policy) and black pants. The college forbids "Public Safety" to take any enforcement action, and they must call the local police to make any arrests.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    what did exelsior uniforms run batou?

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    900? Where the hell are you buying these, and where's the link?!

My last uniform estimation was 1,850 for an armed officer. That's from Quartermaster Uniforms. That dosen't include the things that they don't sell, like guns and bullets and stuff.

If anyone wants, I'll be glad to send them a Excel document that I created to outline uniforms. Its fun to play around with.

I plan on doing them for Streichers, Galls, and US Calvary, as well. I find that the Excel worksheet helps plan exactly what needs to be bought, and how much it will cost.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    [I]
    Some in depth studies have been done on the uniform topic including ones done by the DOJ, as a Security Officer your more likely to be confronted and physically assaulted while wearing a blazer then a hard look military type uniform.......
    I believe it. I hate the blazer look. (Guardsmark's uniform looks fine as long as you don't wear the blazer)

The uniform is powerful and can send different messages to people who view it.....
    Absolutely correct.

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    What happens when you run?
    my pants stay up

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by hemi444
    No offense taken here since i am a big person myself. The 45 degree picth is not my cup a tea and it also gets me flared up. My trousers and duty belt are even and not saggien underneath the belly.
    What happens when you run? I don't a big gut, but the weight of my belt causes my pants to fall . I wish we were permitted to wear the duty belt suspenders that I have.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    "...such a nice mount-me hat!"

"...Mount-me?"

"Well not right now, but maybe after a few drinks!"

LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...