Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echos13
    • Sep 2005

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

After 14 years of having the contract with the state it looks like things are coming to and end for G4S/TWC. At least in regards to the way things may be run. The state has had TWC for 12 years at most of its facilities. And now they want to literately dump it into the hands of a contractor (not all state areas but some that I work) washing their hands of security all together. There is also talk that they may bid out (the contractor, not the state) and not renew the TWC contracts and take on another security agency. It has sent shudders down the backs of all the CPO’s in the division that work these sites and some have even decided to start looking elsewhere including myself. Some are looking into a transfer. Getting subbed by another sub is really screwy. Figures I get promoted and transferred to weekdays. Get credit and recognition for some ideas and improvements and this happens. By the way the three companies that the state is allowing to bid to take over are construction firms. Not security oriented or related outfits. Yikes! Having to answer to a shovel pushing front loader lackey. Where has the dignity gone!?
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other
  • N. A. Corbier
    • Aug 2005

Let me get this straight. The state is contracting out their security to non-security firms, who will then sub-contract it to security firms? Are they contracting the entire facilities management program out?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• kingsman
      • May 2006

this is what the federal government did in New Orleans post Katrina. Shaw, a construction firm, was given the contract. They then subcontracted thru 6 levels before the actual security contractor was reached. Seems kinda stupid doesn't it?

Comment

• Echos13
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Let me get this straight. The state is contracting out their security to non-security firms, who will then sub-contract it to security firms? Are they contracting the entire facilities management program out?

It looks that way. The state is cutting back and decided it would be cheaper to contract out some of the sites to another firm to handle all the facilities. In turn they will then contract out security. Security will answer to them while they answer to the state. Just got the audit today. Made by the inspector general of Florida off the state website concerning these sites. This could go ether way. Bad or good. At least for security people. One of the companies bidding has a reputation for being real alfa-hotels.

I think I should be looking around just in case. -sigh-
        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
          • Aug 2005

Security operations are typically run by the facilities engineering division. You know, the maintenance men.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• SecTrainer
            • Nov 2006

Security operations are typically run by the facilities engineering division. You know, the maintenance men.
            There's no specific place in the organization where security "rightly" belongs. Security operations are sometimes placed under facilities management, sometimes placed under HR, and sometimes placed under IT. Sometimes it's an independent department reporting directly to the executive.

There's nothing wrong with security operating under the facilities management department, per se. Many facilities managers have had at least some training in security management.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

• Echos13
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SecTrainer
              There's no specific place in the organization where security "rightly" belongs. Security operations are sometimes placed under facilities management, sometimes placed under HR, and sometimes placed under IT. Sometimes it's an independent department reporting directly to the executive.

There's nothing wrong with security operating under the facilities management department, per se. Many facilities managers have had at least some training in security management.

............................................"some"

Comment

• Echos13
                • Sep 2005

Yea, those people.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by SecTrainer

Unfortunately, when I say "the maintenance men," I mean just that. Maintenance people who have had no formal training in facilities management or security management. Some firms, usually smaller ones, like to tack on the big titles and still hire the 10 dollar an hour maintenance man who becomes the client point of contact for the security company because the manager doesn't want to deal with it.

At state buildings, one would hope that they have accredited facility managers, but one never knows with the State of Florida. This is the same state that replaced all of their armed, sworn, capital police officers in state buildings with security personnel. The only way you realize the people sitting in the office marked Capitol Police is usually a little sign that says:

Department of Capitol Police
                  Protection Services have been
                  subcontracted to __________ Security.
                  DIAL 911 FOR ALL EMERGENCIES.
                  No Police Officer On Property.

Comment

• junkyarddog
                    • May 2007

The neat thing about this thread for me is that is that I am both a building services contractor with allot of experience in facility management AND an S/O working for a major utility whos security department is independent and answers to a likewise independent executive whos only job is to run security. Having facility maintenance as a security tool rather than security being an aspect of maintenance is very very nice.

Maintenance forms submitted by security are not treated as requests so much as high priority items and are taken care of within 48 hours. If the item actually is high-priority, a phone call accompanies the written form and the fix is made within a couple of hours. It is kind of cool to make a phone call at 3:00am on a holiday and see a crew of guys who are getting paid more than you, arrive post haste with the foreman more than happy to have his crew carry out exactly what you say needs to be carried out.
                    formerly C&A

Comment

• Echos13
                      • Sep 2005

That all may work there. But in Florida for most places maintenance and contracted security are pretty much in the same heap. You don't have to guess which one has say. And it's not the latter.

Comment

• Echos13
                        • Sep 2005

Just in. Three companies are bidding. Infrastructure Corporation of America, Jorgenson Contract Services and VMS Maintenance systems. According to the chat at the other sites, ICA is a bunch of alpha hotels. But then, they also got a raise. And they have a nice office to work out of. All we have is a lawn chair and an old church podium. Take the "irritations" for better stuff and money? I wonder.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...